Robin Hood Bicycle, 3x3 hub

Old August 6th 05, 03:48 AM
Dan Burkhart

Default Robin Hood Bicycle, 3x3 hub

I had a fella tell me the other day that when he was a kid back in th
50s, he had a Robin Hood bike, and he tells me it had a 3 speed hu
with three sprockets mounted on it. Sounds like it may have been a for
runner of the Sachs, er, pardon moi, Sram dual drive.
I did a google on Robin Hood, and came up with a story about one o
Sheldon Brown's old bikes, but no mention of such a drive hub.
Anyone ever encounter such a thing, or could it be his memory i
faulty?
Da

--
Dan Burkhart

Old August 6th 05, 05:10 AM

Dear Dan & list:

There was a wonderful old book called "The Boy Mechanic" that had lots
of elaborate projects boys could make, including live steam engines,
crystal radios, Central Park Basin-type model yachts, and a 9-speed
conversion for 3-speed hubs. It involved making up a 3-speed cluster
to mount on the hub and rigging up a Simplex derailleur.

Nobody I knew had the tools and money to do any of those things, of
course.

later

jn

"Thursday"

Old August 9th 05, 04:31 AM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:23:15 GMT, Bob Yates

On 5 Aug 2005 21:10:56 -0700, wrote:

Dear Dan & list:

There was a wonderful old book called "The Boy Mechanic" that had lots
of elaborate projects boys could make, including live steam engines,
crystal radios, Central Park Basin-type model yachts, and a 9-speed
conversion for 3-speed hubs. It involved making up a 3-speed cluster
to mount on the hub and rigging up a Simplex derailleur.

Nobody I knew had the tools and money to do any of those things, of
course.

later

jn

"Thursday"

Dear T.,

Regrettably, even single used volumes of the 3-volume "Boy
Mechanic" sell for outlandish prices:

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?au...ic&st=sr&ac=qr

Reprints are fairly pricy, too:

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/s...ymechanic.html

But you can read the text online for free:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/12655

Carl Fogel

Not that expensive
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...096,46100&ap=3
and
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/boymech/index.html
this looks like fun(?) too
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks8/mbic/index.html

Dear Bob,

We may disagree about $18 plus shipping for a reprint of an
eighty-year-old book for boys.

Of course, I'm still scowling at blood-sucking booksellers
who expect me to pay more than 45 cents for a new paperback,
the normal price when I first began buying more books than
was good for me.

Carl Fogel
Old August 13th 05, 12:28 PM
richard

Well, I have such a hub sitting on my porch waiting for me to decide
what to do with it...

Some hubs had threaded drivers that took either a threaded cog or some
freewheels.

Dan Burkhart wrote:
I had a fella tell me the other day that when he was a kid back in the
50s, he had a Robin Hood bike, and he tells me it had a 3 speed hub
with three sprockets mounted on it. Sounds like it may have been a fore
runner of the Sachs, er, pardon moi, Sram dual drive.
I did a google on Robin Hood, and came up with a story about one of
Sheldon Brown's old bikes, but no mention of such a drive hub.
Anyone ever encounter such a thing, or could it be his memory is
faulty?
Dan