7 Speed Shimano Wheels

Old August 13th 05, 03:57 PM
Paul Cassel

Default 7 Speed Shimano Wheels

RonSonic wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:18:06 -0600, Paul Cassel

There are zillions of very inexpensive, but of course dated 7 speed wheelsets on
ebay. You should be outta there for about a hundred wth something perfectly
rideable. Not fancy mind you but better than that stuff you got.

I found one for sale on eBay now which seems suitable and worth playing
with. It's from a fellow who strips framesets to make super single
speeds. Adding Jobst's book to the mix, I should be able to mix and
match myself up a good set of wheels which make a lot less noise. I
don't have to warn folks I'm about to pass them as my bike makes a low
siren song now at speeds greater than about 14 mph. Even people with
headphones hear me coming.

The left one will be friction only. The right one will either be friction or
switchable from pure friction to a detent using the D-ring that looks like it
would otherwise adjust tension.

Ha! You got this one nailed down and thanks. Yes, I did switch the right
to detents and it works. The left is friction only, but I don't care. I
have it adjusted so it engages at the ends of its throw. This is a very
pleasing mechanical device employing a lot of subtle features.
Old August 14th 05, 02:28 AM
RonSonic

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:57:20 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

RonSonic wrote:
[...]

One of the things to love about bikes is just how elegant and well refined a
relatively simple piece of machinery can become. Firearms and tube audio are
the only other things that can compare.

Ron

Shimano 7/8 speed. anderson Techniques 7 June 27th 05 09:27 AM
Campy Neutron 10 speed wheels aram bayzaee Marketplace 0 November 26th 04 03:04 AM
my 8 speed Shimano 105 STI lever died - SOS Paul Nevai Techniques 12 April 20th 04 10:07 PM
Ergo with 7 speed Shimano rosco Techniques 8 November 15th 03 02:52 PM
8 speed STI levers Rik O'Shea Techniques 7 October 8th 03 01:17 AM