Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking

Old March 11th 07, 06:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:08:16 GMT, John Everett
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 07:39:39 -0700, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:19:20 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking
Michael Vandeman, Ph.D.
Updated March 8, 2007

Frequently asked by whom?

You are a lying sack of **** Michael. You purport to have been a chair of an
SC committee for the past decade, and this is a flat out lie. You may have
been a chair at some point in the past decade, but stating that you have
been FOR the past decade demands an ongoing chairmanship.

At the time I wrote that, I had been the chair for a decade. So
where's the lie? Missing in action, as usual. That makes YOU the liar.
No surprize there!

As a Sierra Club National Outings leader I have access to internal
club data bases. I don't know in which area of the club Mike claims to
be/have been active, but I just checked the rosters of all 23 outings
subcommittees and Mike not only doesn't chair any of them but he isn't
even a member of any of them.

Are you listening? I WAS the chair of the Wildlife Committee of the
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter. I'm not now. And who said anything
about "outings"?!
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 11th 07, 06:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:09:47 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Mike is not a member of the Club anymore.

This is a great example of what an incorrigible LIAR Jeff Strickland
is. Actually, I am (still) a Life Member. But Jeff Strickland long ago
proved that he is totally unreliable as a source of information. Let's
see how he tries to wriggle out of THIS one! We probably won't hear
form him for a while....
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 11th 07, 06:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking
Michael Vandeman, Ph.D.
Updated March 8, 2007

Frequently asked by whom?

You are a lying sack of **** Michael. You purport to have been a chair of
an
SC committee for the past decade, and this is a flat out lie. You may have
been a chair at some point in the past decade, but stating that you have
been FOR the past decade demands an ongoing chairmanship.

At the time I wrote that, I had been the chair for a decade. So
where's the lie? Missing in action, as usual. That makes YOU the liar.
No surprize there!

YOU updated the article on March 8, 2007, by your own admission. This was 3
days ago. You have not been chair of anything having to do with the SC for
the past decade. Indeed, you are persona non grata at the SC for as long as
I have been visiting ca.environment, which is about 7 years.

And YOU are a bald-faced LIAR. You know NOTHING.

You are a lying sack of ****.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 11th 07, 07:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Simon Wyndham

Mike, most of what you said in that FAQ is of course rubbish. However if
you want to win people over to your way of thinking you won't achieve it
by insulting other peoples hobbies. I could give you a diatribe on how
walkers and horses erode pathways much more than bikes. But I won't.
You wouldn't listen anyway.

Simon
Old March 11th 07, 08:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
John Everett

wrote:

[...]

Actually no, I'm not listening. As I said further up this thread, this
is the first time I've ever participated in a MV thread. And BTW, ARE
YOU LISTENING? I said above, " I don't know in which area of the SC
Mike claims to be/have been active". I just checked out Outings
because I have access to the Club's "extranet".

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)
Old March 11th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message

Are you listening? I WAS the chair of the Wildlife Committee of the
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter. I'm not now. And who said anything
about "outings"?!

Yes, you WERE. A very long time ago. Currently, you have not been chair of
anything in The Club for the past decade.

Mike's Quote
Note: I was the Chair of the Wildlife Committee of the Sierra Club's
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter for the past decade. During the same
period, I studied conservation biology and the environmental impacts
of mountain biking, which are summarized in my paper "The Impacts of
Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- A Review of the Literature"

In the construction YOU used, YOUR words are that you were "for the past
decade" the chair of some committee. This means that you have been chair
from NOW, backwards in time for the entire decade.

Proper construction that would not make you a liar is, "I was once the chair
of a committee for a decade." That construction says that some point in the
past, you chaired the committee, it does not state that you have been chair
from now and for the decade preceding.

How does one get a PhD and not know something so elementary? I forget, you
use the New Vandeman Dictionary where up means down and "for the past
decade" means "a decade long ago."

L:iar. Forgive me, you are not a liar, you are simply one stupid son of a
bitch. Idiot.

===

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old March 11th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I know that you have not been chair of any SC committee for the past decade.
For you to continue to assert that you have been a chair of anything for the
past decade makes you the liar, my friend.

PS
You also have not spent the "previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and
road construction."

Old March 12th 07, 02:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Wolf Leverich

On 2007-03-11, Jeff Strickland wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message

Are you listening? I WAS the chair of the Wildlife Committee of the
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter. I'm not now. And who said anything
about "outings"?!

Yes, you WERE. A very long time ago. Currently, you have not been chair of
anything in The Club for the past decade.

Mike's Quote
Note: I was the Chair of the Wildlife Committee of the Sierra Club's
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter for the past decade. During the same
period, I studied conservation biology and the environmental impacts
of mountain biking, which are summarized in my paper "The Impacts of
Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- A Review of the Literature"

Hi all -

Just wandering through since the Sierra Club's name came up.

Like any large organization, the SC membership has diverse
opinions and what any single person says may or may not be
representative of the whole.

For whatever it's worth, I've led and participated in various
Sierra Club outings where folks were on mountain bikes. Used
with common sense and responsibility, mountain bikes are a
great way to enjoy the backcountry.

Speaking *only* as an individual, I'd like to see the Sierra
Club supporting the various mountain biking organizations
on access and trail issues in suitable areas.

(Has anyone else ridden the road that separates the Dick Smith
and San Rafael Wildernesses in the Los Padres? Technical
challenge is just about zero except in early season when you
often have to cross slide zones, but the scenery is pretty
kickass by SoCal standards and you can get to places with zero
tourists and 30 miles of wilderness between you and the next
human being.)

Cheers, Wolf.

--
Dr. Brian Leverich Co-moderator, soc.genealogy.methods/GENMTD-L
Angeles Chapter LTC Admin Chair http://angeles.sierraclub.org/ltc/
Old March 12th 07, 02:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:11:30 +0000, Simon Wyndham
wrote:

Mike, most of what you said in that FAQ is of course rubbish. However if
you want to win people over to your way of thinking you won't achieve it
by insulting other peoples hobbies. I could give you a diatribe on how
walkers and horses erode pathways much more than bikes.

A diatribe is irrelevant. Conveniently, you provide no examples of my
alleged "rubbish".

Provide some science, as I do, or shut up. There is no science showing
that walkers cause more erosion than mountain bikers. I don't think
there's ANY reliable science on horses vs. mountain bikers. Put up or
shut up.

But I won't.
You wouldn't listen anyway.

Simon

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 12th 07, 03:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

No, you don't, liar, because it isn't true. You were discredited long
ago, and have continued lying ever since.

For you to continue to assert that you have been a chair of anything for the
past decade makes you the liar, my friend.

PS
You also have not spent the "previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and
road construction."

Yes, I did, previous to what I'm doing now (wildlife activism). Learn
to read.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande