Seattle To Portland On A Unicycle (July 2009)

Old January 4th 09, 05:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Straightarrow

Default Seattle To Portland On A Unicycle (July 2009)

I am considering the STP in July 2009. I have a lot of decisions to make
about training and gear. If there are any veterans of similar long
distance unicycle rides that feel inclined to comment on gear and/or
training and their own personal choices I would find value in it, maybe
some others here would as well.

--
Straightarrow
Old January 4th 09, 06:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

'Here's an old thread I dug up' (http://tinyurl.com/8rjwce), there was a
really really long ride-report post in there somewhere. Maybe it had
something about equipment in it... I was too lazy to read it all the way
through. I keep considering doing STP this year... 200miles in 2 days
sounds like a fun challenge. There's a few riders here who have done STP
quite a few times maybe they'll chime in.

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
Old January 4th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bungeejoe

Straightarrow;1163795 wrote:
I am considering the STP in July 2009.

It is on my list. I didn't make it last year. Decide now. Buy your
bib early. It will help keep you from backing out. Start training
today.

See the finish.
JM

--
bungeejoe
Old January 5th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bruce Dawson

I did the STP in 2005, shortly after my 40th birthday. Bungeejoe did it
in 2007 (shortly before his 50th birthday?), and various other people
have done it other years. I also tried it in 2008, as a spontaneous
post-Ride-The-Lobster event, but I didn't finish that time. I rode 121
miles the first day and then decided that the hotel pool was more
tempting than riding the remaining 83 miles on Sunday.

I think we've had exactly one unicyclist attempt it every year for the
last 5+ years.

Good equipment is certainly crucial. A 36" unicycle is the minimum you
should try it on -- that's what every successful rider has used. A
geared 29" or geared 36" is a more expensive option but would make the
ride significantly easier. If I do it again it will definitely be on my
geared 29". This lets me ride 10-20% faster, and really confuses the
cyclists.

A comfortable seat is crucial. Some people like air seats, but there's
a new KH seat that is supposed to be better.

Handlebars of some sort are recommended. They let you climb and descend
hills easier (not that the STP has any real hills) and I find my riding
is slightly more reliable when I'm holding my handlebar.

Experimenting with different crank lengths is important. I find I can
go a bit faster with a bit less knee strain with 125 mm cranks on my
Coker, but switching to 150 mm cranks when you are exhausted is a nice
option to have at the end.

And then, it's all about training. Your limiting factors (assuming that
riding skill is sufficient) are likely to be leg strength/endurance,
saddle soreness, and nutrition/electrolytes.

For leg strength/endurance there is no substitute for putting in the
miles. I like doing a combination of commuting (~15+ miles per day on
lots of days) and long rides on the weekend (40+ mile rides on the
weekend). This is also what lets you know whether you're ready. You need
to be doing 80+ mile day rides and 120+ mile weekends to know that
you're ready.

Preparing for saddle soreness is a mixture of putting in the miles and
having the right saddle. Pedaling faster also helps minimize saddle
soreness by reducing the amount of time you are riding and by putting
more weight on your legs.

Nutrition/electrolytes management is, for me, the trickiest part.
Despite riding STP and RTL I still haven't figure this one out. On long
rides on hot days I get nauseous and it makes it hard to eat, hard to
ride, and generally not as much fun. Some day I'll figure out the right
balance of salt pills, bananas, grapefruit and other food to keep my
body happy.

The STP organizers strongly encourage riders to not have a support
vehicle, because support vehicles increase traffic and danger. I've
always assumed that there is a blanket exemption to this rule for
unicyclists. Unicyclists should have a support vehicle because we are
doing a more demanding ride, we need more food, we have less time to
spare and, we can't predict as accurately how far we will ride the first
day. My wife drove support both times I did the STP. We'd meet up three
or four times throughout the day to replenish my food and drink, get
moral support, and get a ride to the hotel at nightfall. I'd also stop
at the official stop points and grab some of their food and drink, but
it wasn't enough by itself.

Start early. Both times I rode until darkness. It's nice to get in as
many miles as possible. Traffic getting to the starting line is bad,
especially 'later' in the morning (after 6:30?) so you have to get up
earlier than you think, or stay near the starting line the night
before.

Buy your number and book your hotel early. You can always sell the
number and cancel your hotel if you can't do it.

It's really hard. It's the hardest athletic endeavour I've ever done.
Then again, some riders find that sort of distance trivial, so you may
have a different experience, but you're safest assuming that it's a
serious challenge until your training proves otherwise.

It was incredibly satisfying. My goal was to prove that another
birthday didn't mean I was getting old, and I did that, setting a ton of
personal best riding records during the training. The moral support from
the cyclists is incredible -- you are a superstar to them and you will
be told that hundreds of times. That was an amazing part of the ride.

For more details my full write-up was linked to earlier, and I think
bungeejoe has a write-up somewhere.

--
Bruce Dawson
Old January 6th 09, 06:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bungeejoe

Bruce Dawson;1164365 wrote:

Buy your number and book your hotel early. You can always sell the
number and cancel your hotel if you can't do it.

Decide to do it, buy your number, and make a little noise about it.
Then drive the route to see what you got yourself into.

Bruce Dawson;1164365 wrote:

It's really hard. It's the hardest athletic endeavour I've ever
done...

It gets easier if you are well prepared, trained enough, and things go
good each day.

Bruce Dawson;1164365 wrote:

It was incredibly satisfying...

Even doing only half of it is rewarding.

JM

|Filename: 07STP07.jpg |

bungeejoe
Old January 6th 09, 07:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

Has anyone here every thought of(or attempted) making the entire route
in one day on a 36'er? I'm considering it... if you were to average
11-12mph you could finish the ride in about 17-18 hours... with enough
training it shouldn't be impossible right?

Old January 6th 09, 07:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bruce Dawson

Ducttape;1165181 wrote:
Has anyone here every thought of(or attempted) making the entire route
in one day on a 36'er?

I've thought about it, but I haven't done anything that put me in
danger of succeeding. Doing it in 17-18 hours would be a world-class
ride. I only know of three riders who have done 200+ miles in 24 hours,
and one or two that might be able to do it in 17-18 hours.

But hey, go for it. If your training tells you it might be possible
then make sure you start as early as possible and have your support
vehicle prepared to tailgate you with floodlights so you can ride into
the dark if necessary (they'll kick you off the course if they think
it's not safe). It would be an awesome achievement to do it in one day.

--
Bruce Dawson
Old January 6th 09, 07:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

Bruce Dawson;1165187 wrote:
I've thought about it, but I haven't done anything that put me in danger
of succeeding. Doing it in 17-18 hours would be a world-class ride. I
only know of three riders who have done 200+ miles in 24 hours, and one
or two that might be able to do it in 17-18 hours.

But hey, go for it. If your training tells you it might be possible
then make sure you start as early as possible and have your support
vehicle prepared to tailgate you with floodlights so you can ride into
the dark if necessary (they'll kick you off the course if they think
it's not safe). It would be an awesome achievement to do it in one day.

that's what I've been thinking... I'm going to keep pumping out the
miles and we'll see as the date approaches if it will be possible for
me.

Old January 6th 09, 08:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bruce Dawson

Ducttape;1165199 wrote:
that's what I've been thinking... I'm going to keep pumping out the
miles and we'll see as the date approaches if it will be possible for
me.

Sounds good. You should come up to Seattle some time and do a training
ride with a few of us. PM me if you want an e-mail address, as I don't
read RSU very frequently.

--
Bruce Dawson
Old January 6th 09, 08:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

Bruce Dawson;1165208 wrote:
Sounds good. You should come up to Seattle some time and do a training
ride with a few of us. PM me if you want an e-mail address, as I don't
read RSU very frequently.

Sounds like a plan, PM sent