Who You Calling Fat?

Old July 27th 05, 12:25 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Default Who You Calling Fat?

The September issue of Bicycling arrived yesterday, and it contains a
lengthy article titled "Hey, Big Fella" about large riders. One sidebar
[bottom of page 51] has the above Subject title, and describes the Body
Mass Index [BMI] calculation [see an online BMI calculator at the URL
below].

The magazine editor, Stephen Madden, has a brief column [page 16] titled
"He Ain't Heavy (He's Our Editor)" about the irony of his weight at 185
pounds, which is what I weighed as a skinny teenager riding a Sears
three-speed over forty years ago.

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

Old July 27th 05, 07:59 AM
JJ

"LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m" wrote in
message news:kDzFe.23567$bp.5984@fed1read03...
The September issue of Bicycling arrived yesterday, and it contains a
lengthy article titled "Hey, Big Fella" about large riders. One sidebar
[bottom of page 51] has the above Subject title, and describes the Body
Mass Index [BMI] calculation [see an online BMI calculator at the URL
below].

The magazine editor, Stephen Madden, has a brief column [page 16] titled
"He Ain't Heavy (He's Our Editor)" about the irony of his weight at 185
pounds, which is what I weighed as a skinny teenager riding a Sears
three-speed over forty years ago.

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

This calculator can't be accurate for the active bike rider who generally
has much larger thighs and calves as well as somewhat more muscular arms.

Old July 27th 05, 03:38 PM
catzz66

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m wrote:
The September issue of Bicycling arrived yesterday, and it contains a
lengthy article titled "Hey, Big Fella" about large riders. One sidebar
[bottom of page 51] has the above Subject title, and describes the Body
Mass Index [BMI] calculation [see an online BMI calculator at the URL
below].

The magazine editor, Stephen Madden, has a brief column [page 16] titled
"He Ain't Heavy (He's Our Editor)" about the irony of his weight at 185
pounds, which is what I weighed as a skinny teenager riding a Sears
three-speed over forty years ago.

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

That is a great comfort to a lot of us whose target weight is 185. =]
Old July 27th 05, 04:52 PM

LioNiNoiL writes:

The September issue of Bicycling arrived yesterday, and it contains
a lengthy article titled "Hey, Big Fella" about large riders. One
sidebar [bottom of page 51] has the above Subject title, and
describes the Body Mass Index [BMI] calculation [see an online BMI
calculator at the URL below].

What can you expect from that magazine. I suppose they believe
Hemingway wrote "For Who the Bell Tolls" and don't know about "Whom
Are You Calling Fat?"

The magazine editor, Stephen Madden, has a brief column [page 16] titled
"He Ain't Heavy (He's Our Editor)" about the irony of his weight at 185
pounds, which is what I weighed as a skinny teenager riding a Sears
three-speed over forty years ago.

That seems to be the paradigm of the day. As long as I can find a
more overweight person, I'm thin. Don't take solace in that heavy is
the norm these days.

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

The 50th percentile is not a standard of health.

Jobst Brandt
Old July 27th 05, 05:11 PM

185 is a reasonable weight for a cyclist.... if you're 6' 9" tall. It's
tolerable if you're over six foot tall. But for the editor-of-the-month
at Bicycling it's pitiful. A huge selection of free bikes to test ride,
and he's that fat? Sad. No wonder the magazine's a waste of trees.

Old July 27th 05, 06:28 PM
C.J.Patten

Might interest you to know - Transport Canada dubs the "average male" (for
the purposes of aviation weight and balance - eg: calculating safe payload)
as 200lbs.

Only a year ago, that average weight was 188 "ish" (I don't remember the
exact number they used to use since they changed it)

While I don't have a link handy to back this up (please, post one if you do)
I read something a few years back: an organization that studies ergonomics
noted the average width of a movie theatre seat had increased by "x"
(something like an inch or two) over the past decade.

North America is getting fat.

I'm 6'0". I don't think 185lbs is particularly large for a "balanced" body.
I wonder how well these 6'0" 150lb TdF riders would in a sport where upper
body strength played a bigger factor?

Chris - 6'0" 255lbs last month... 245lbs this month... shooting for 185lbs
by Christmas.

oups.com...

Old July 28th 05, 12:53 AM
Sheldon Brown

An anonymous self-righteous jerk wrote:

185 is a reasonable weight for a cyclist.... if you're 6' 9" tall. It's
tolerable if you're over six foot tall. But for the editor-of-the-month
at Bicycling it's pitiful. A huge selection of free bikes to test ride,
and he's that fat? Sad. No wonder the magazine's a waste of trees.

This is a great example of why anonymous posting is chicken****.

Sheldon "Not Hiding Behind An Alias" Brown
| It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid |
| than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 28th 05, 05:17 AM
Ed Chait

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
An anonymous self-righteous jerk wrote:

185 is a reasonable weight for a cyclist.... if you're 6' 9" tall. It's
tolerable if you're over six foot tall. But for the editor-of-the-month
at Bicycling it's pitiful. A huge selection of free bikes to test ride,
and he's that fat? Sad. No wonder the magazine's a waste of trees.

This is a great example of why anonymous posting is chicken****.

Sheldon "Not Hiding Behind An Alias" Brown

That's not all you couldn't hide behind.

lol,

Ed Chait