Bikes of China

Old April 10th 06, 07:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Bikes of China

Stumbled across this on the crazyguyonabike website. Some cool photos of
some different bikes.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ..._id=1313&v=1lf

--
..dt
Old April 10th 06, 08:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Nice site. Some dodgey bikes there.

I must have this rear disc wheel for my next TT.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ..._id=31351&v=kk

-Andres.

Old April 10th 06, 08:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Andres wrote:
Nice site. Some dodgey bikes there.

I must have this rear disc wheel for my next TT.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ..._id=31351&v=kk

Maybe the local Coke rep?

--
..dt
Old April 12th 06, 08:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

dtmeister wrote:
Stumbled across this on the crazyguyonabike website. Some cool photos of
some different bikes.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ..._id=1313&v=1lf

Great site.

Slightly off topic, does anyone know about the cost of genuine high
quality bikes in China?

ebay has lots of high end bikes like Trek Madones for the Yuan
equivalent of a couple of hundred Australian dollars.

Possibilities:
a) They're outright scams, there is no bike at all.
b) They're not genuine Trek Madones at all, just inferior Chinese
knockoffs
c) Second hand bikes in China sell at massive discounts compared to
new.
d) Trek actually sell bikes cheaply over there.

I think d is possible but I can imagine bikes being only modestly
cheaper unless the component makers also are willing to discount
heavily for the Chinese market. Anyone who has ever looked at the
price of a Dura Ace groupset would know that the bits are not cheap.

There may be an element of c, but considering the ****ty state of some
of the bikes in the web site above I don't think snobbishness about
buying second hand plays a role.

So I think a and b are the most probable.

But for those who have lived or worked in China, what DOES a genuine
high end bike cost over there relative to the Australian price?

Travis