RIP Phil Wood

Old March 22nd 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
brian roth

Default RIP Phil Wood

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/3856.html
Old March 22nd 10, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

brian roth wrote:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/3856.html

I heard the cemetary needs special equipment for the burial.

Bill "too soon?" S.

Old March 22nd 10, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
brian roth wrote:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/3856.html

Godspeed Mr. Wood. I've seen 25+ year old Phil hubs still running
smoothly on their original bearings. Got one on one of my tandems.

--
Faith is believing what you know ain't so.
-Mark Twain
Old March 22nd 10, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Bill Sornson wrote:
I heard the cemetary needs special equipment for the burial.
Bill "too soon?" S.

Did you know him very well? He was just the nicest person,
always gracious.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 22nd 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
I heard the cemetary needs special equipment for the burial.
Bill "too soon?" S.

Did you know him very well? He was just the nicest person,
always gracious.

No, but I own (and love) two of his headsets. I'd like to think he'd
appreciate a little humor in his honor.

Bill "and yes, I know how to spell cemetery" S.

Old March 22nd 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 21/03/10 5:43 PM, brian roth wrote:
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/3856.html

Phil was very tenacious. I'll wear my Phil Wood tee shirt this week in
his memory.

We owe sealed hubs and headsets to Phil Wood.
Old March 22nd 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 22:59:41 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Did you know him very well? He was just the nicest person, always
gracious.

I met him once at the International Cycle Show (NYC) in the late 1970's.

I'd been riding Phil hubs for a few years. I was put off by the
admonition not to over-tighten the skewer when removing the freewheel.
There was no such thing as over-tightening the skewer when removing a 2-
notch Regina freewheel. I removed the forces on the axle by using a
socket on the non-driving side, when removing the freewheel.

I went up to Phil, when he wasn't busy and sketched out what I was doing.
He immediately showed me a bell shaped cap that did the same thing. I
asked him about its availability. He said it was now shipped with the
hubs and sent me one, free of charge.

Stephen Bauman
Old March 22nd 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Bill Sornson wrote:
I heard the cemetary needs special equipment for the burial.
Bill "too soon?" S.

Did you know him very well? He was just the nicest person,
always gracious.

Unlike Sorni, apparently.

Old March 22nd 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Mar 22, 12:17*am, SMS wrote:
On 21/03/10 5:43 PM, brian roth wrote:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/3856.html

Phil was very tenacious.

Punintentional?

Never met the guy or used his products, save for the ubiquitous green
grease, but sad news all the same...

Nate
Old March 22nd 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

On Mar 21, 8:59*pm, AMuzi wrote:

Did you know him very well? He was just the nicest person,
always gracious.

I happened across the Phil Wood facility in San Jose (I was
in the neighborhood for lunch) and walked in and said hi.
The people working there at the time were very kind about
showing me around, answering questions, showing me where
they pump tenacious oil out of the ground*, and so on.

A company's tone is set by the chief, and the way I was
treated by the employees reflected well on Mr. Wood
(who I didn't get to meet, although this was before he
had sold the company in 1991).

Tom Ace

*just kidding.

Phil Wood BB jp_nyc Techniques 17 April 14th 07 09:47 AM
Phil Wood BB -- Is it really worth it? Wasatch5k Techniques 21 July 6th 05 07:37 PM
WTB Phil Wood BB, 113 Dave Thompson Marketplace 0 January 17th 05 04:29 PM
WTB: Phil Wood front hub Neill Currie Marketplace 0 November 18th 04 04:30 AM
Phil Wood Hub peter Techniques 16 October 12th 04 09:43 PM