"Lost in the dark with a busted knee"

Old May 6th 10, 05:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default "Lost in the dark with a busted knee"

http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports/...ies-474812.php

Phillips recovers from mountain bike injuries

ALYSSA SCHNUGG, Oxford Eagle

Published: 08:54 a.m., Wednesday, May 5, 2010

OXFORD, Miss. (AP) * Lost in the dark with a busted knee, Wesley
Phillips, sat in the woods for about five hours before being rescued.

His first thought?

"Football," said the Ole Miss Rebels long snapper. "Then I thought how
was I going to tell my mom without upsetting her."

On April 10, Phillips and his buddy, Joe Woolsey, took their bikes on
the railroad-bed trails. The two went off the main trail and started
biking through the narrow dirt trails in the woods. At about 6:30
p.m., Phillips lost control of his mountain bike while riding down a
hill.

"I was going maybe 25 miles per hour," he said. "I went over a small
ramp and was fixin' to hit a tree head-on so I jumped off my bike."

A he flew through the air, Phillips' head missed the tree, but his
right leg slammed into the trunk.

"My shin and ankle kind of bent around the tree," he said.

After attempting to use his bike as a crutch failed, Phillips tried
walking by leaning on Woolsey, which wasn't working either.

"We got to the top of a hill and I heard a 'pop' and my knee gave
out," Phillips said. "I sat down and told Joe I wasn't going to make
it."

Phillips called 911 at about 7:30 p.m.

"They were talking to me and making sure I wasn't in shock," he
recalled. "They were trying to figure out where I was."

Woolsey left his friend and attempted to walk to where the two had
started out to meet the paramedics and police officers, but they had
arrived faster than Woolsey could make it out and began searching the
woods.

"It was a pretty big ordeal to find him," Oxford Police Chief Mike
Martin said. "We couldn't get in there on anything other than foot
because it was so dark. It's such a maze out there."

The University of Mississippi Police Department sent out officers on
dirt bikes to help with the search. It was Officer Gery Phillips who
first found Phillips.

"I remembered his name because we had the same last name," Phillips
said. "I could hear the bike and I started yelling. He finally found
me and on his way down the hill towards me he twisted his ankle and
hurt his knee. We were there for about 30 minutes before the two more
officers and an EMS guy found us."

Officer Phillips is still on leave due to his knee injury, UPD Chief
Calvin Sellers said.

Another UPD officer, Lt. Bishop Lewis, hurt his back while searching
for Phillips, but he has returned to work, Sellers said.

One of the police officers offered Phillips his jacket and another
wrapped his shirt around Phillips' legs.

"They were concerned about me getting too cold," he said. "I had been
sweating and it was getting cold out."

Once Phillips was found, getting him out of the woods was the biggest
obstacle.

Eventually about 10 people were with Phillips, including Woolsey and
his brother Zach, who had come out to help in the search. The men took
turns carrying the 220-pound Phillips more than 2 miles through the
dark woods.

"It was rough," Martin said. "They had him strapped to a backboard and
they had to carry him up hills and across ditches. It was a pretty big
production."

Phillips said he remembers feeling bad for his rescuers who had to
carry him out of the woods.

"I'm not a small guy," he said. "They had a hard time carrying me all
that way. I felt so bad, but so blessed."

After getting back onto the main trail, Phillips was lifted onto the
back of a police vehicle. Driving the car very slowly, the others held
onto the backboard to make sure Phillips didn't slide off the back of
the trunk.

Finally, at about 11:30 p.m., Phillips was loaded into the back of an
ambulance and on his way to Baptist Memorial Hospital-North
Mississippi.

There, doctors discovered Phillips had torn his anterior cruciate
ligament and had two tears in his meniscus. He recently had surgery
where cadaver tissue was used to replace the ligament.

Phillips, who will be a senior at Ole Miss in the fall, was hoping to
be the first-string long snapper for the Rebels where he's been second
string behind Preston Powers for three years.

"This upcoming season I was hoping to get that position," he said.
"But now it looks like I might not be able to play at all."

Doctors and rehabilitation therapists have told Phillips the best case
scenario is he could possibly get back on the field in September.

"I feel good," he said. "I think I can make it. I think I can be ready
by September. Being a long snapper, I generally just snap the ball and
run straight down field. I'm hoping I can wear a knee brace and just
deal with it hurting a little."

Despite the possibility of his Ole Miss football career taking a hard
hit, Phillips remains positive and optimistic but mostly, he's
thankful.

"I just want to express my thanks to the police and paramedics," he
said. "There's no way I could have made it out of there if they didn't
help."
Old May 6th 10, 06:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bob Berger[_2_]

Default Hiker lost in a canyon without water rescued

http://home.nps.gov/applications/morningreport/

THE MORNING REPORT
Friday, April 23, 2010

Big Bend National Park (TX)
Rangers Rescue Stranded Hiker

Park dispatch received a report of an overdue hiker on the remote
and strenuous Marufo Vega Trail on the morning of Friday, April 9th.
The hiker, 34-year-old J. Meyers of Austin, Texas, had been issued
a permit for a three day hike. The park plane was dispatched and
searched the area without success. As temperatures had been in the
90’s for several days, a hasty ground search team started hiking
the trail. A horse team was also assembled and started up the trail
with medical supplies and extra water. A Texas Department of Public
Safety (DPS) helicopter joined the search of the narrow steep
canyons. Later that afternoon, the crew of the helicopter spotted
an unusual blue object on a canyon floor, while the crew of a park
plane spotted what turned out to be an orange sleeping bag in the
same canyon. Ground searchers were directed to the location and
found the missing hiker. They learned that Meyers had become lost
on his first day out and wandered the open desert in search of the
trail. By day three, he was desperate for water and begun descending
washes in an attempt to reach the Rio Grande, which he could see
in the distance. As his desperation grew, Meyers climbed down into a
steep canyon, believing it lead to the river, but found that it lead
only to a 70-foot pour-off above the river. He was trapped – he could
see the river below, but could not climb back up the canyon wall. To
keep from dehydrating, Meyers chewed the juice out of cacti and took
advantage of shade from the canyon walls. He also spelled out the
word “Help” with rocks and lit a small fire, hoping it might be seen
from a plane. Rangers rappelled into the canyon and then rappelled
with him to the canyon floor below, where they were picked up by
the DPS helicopter. Despite having filed a backcountry plan, Meyer
had changed his plan at the last minute without telling anyone and
took only enough water for one day. He did not have proper topographic
maps, a compass, GPS, or any other recommended supplies. Without
sufficient food and water, it is likely that he would not have
survived another 24 hours. Employees from various divisions assisted
along with park volunteers and DPS and US Border Patrol personnel.
Ranger Joe Roberts was IC.

[Submitted by Allen Etheridge, Chief Ranger]

Old May 6th 10, 07:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Weir

On May 6, 12:13*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

As he flew through the air...

Hey Michael Vandeman, he's just like you.

You flew through the air dozens of times, but in your case you were
contributing to the destruction of the upper atmosphere by being
selfish and using a transportation method that is harmful to OUR
environment. That pretty much makes you a hypocrite and a phony.
Old May 7th 10, 01:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

Man with inadequate equipment goes off, changes plans, and
then is rescued by large ammounts of tax payer dollars.
Charles Darwin must be rolling over in his grave. We're
nurturing the idiots at the expense of the working class.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old May 7th 10, 05:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bob Berger[_2_]

In article , Stormin Mormon says...

Man with inadequate equipment goes off, changes plans, and
then is rescued by large ammounts of tax payer dollars.
Charles Darwin must be rolling over in his grave. We're
nurturing the idiots at the expense of the working class.

Yeah. This clown sounds like me when I go to town shopping.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Old May 7th 10, 08:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Paul O

Stormin Mormon wrote, On 5/7/2010 8:27 AM:
Man with inadequate equipment goes off, changes plans, and
then is rescued by large ammounts of tax payer dollars.
Charles Darwin must be rolling over in his grave. We're
nurturing the idiots at the expense of the working class.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

snip

One thing I learned about Jesus is that he has compassion for all
people. Even fools who wander off into the desert....

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old May 8th 10, 12:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

Sometimes the most compassionate thing a man can do, is to
stop rescuing idiots. They never learn, that way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old May 10th 10, 05:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Paul O

Stormin Mormon wrote, On 5/8/2010 7:58 AM:
Sometimes the most compassionate thing a man can do, is to
stop rescuing idiots. They never learn, that way.

Ok. But, a person who does something stupid and is rescued has a (small)
chance to learn something useful and even to pass than knowledge on to
other people.

Old May 10th 10, 06:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

On May 8, 4:58*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Sometimes the most compassionate thing a man can do, is to
stop rescuing idiots. They never learn, that way.

It's also cheaper and easier to implement, isn't it?
Old May 14th 10, 01:20 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

Do we have any recorded examples of people learning? Perhaps
there are.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus