Please help with a Christmas present.

Old November 23rd 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

Default Please help with a Christmas present.

I would like to upgrade a friends bike with some [much] lower gears as a
Christmas present. Currently he is operating with a Shimano Ultegra
system;

10 cog cassette.
Dual control levers.
Bontrager freehub.

To the best of my knowledge that limits him as to around 25 teeth
largest cog. I would like to be able to equip him with large cog of no
less than 30 teeth preferably 32 or better yet 34.

I would also like to make the change as simple as possible. Limiting it
to cogset, derailler and chain would obviously be perfect. I would
prefer not to have to change the brifters, and a new hub is not an
option. And before you say it, triple cranks are not an option. his rear
triangle geometry is too tight for it to really work well and he has no
interest in a triple even if it could, I've asked (more than once)

What would be the best way to go? Can it even be done or a I just
whistling Jingle Bells?

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old November 23rd 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Nov 23, 7:42 am, (It's Chris) wrote:
[...]

Holy moly - I thought it was gonna be an old 7-speed or something for
a kid w/ no bike. Heck, I'm years away from affording that kind of
technology for myself.

(I have a worn CS-61 or such 9-speed w/ 32 teeth you can have for
shipping. I'd even throw in a worn chain that doesn't skip too bad on
the 13.)

Old November 23rd 10, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 23, 8:42*am, (It's Chris) wrote:
What would be the best way to go? Can it even be done or a I just
whistling Jingle Bells?

Given the constraints you have imposed it would seem that the only
option is a long cage Shimano derailleur (to match the shifters) with
a 10 speed SRAM cassette.
There is also:
http://bike.shimano.com.sg/publish/c...__shimano.html

You would undoubtedly need to add a longer chain.

I have no idea how well that might work. In any case "well" is a
subjective term.

DR
Old November 23rd 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

There is also:http://bike.shimano.com.sg/publish/c.../en/sg/index/n...

You would undoubtedly need to add a longer chain.

I have no idea how well that might work. In any case "well" is a
subjective term.

DR

Yeah, an SLX cassette will do it. Longer chain. See how bad the sag is
before putting on a longer cage mech.
Old November 23rd 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_4_]

On 23 nov, 16:42, (It's Chris) wrote:
[...]

*- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Buy a 10 speed Shimano ATB cassette and a long caged road derailleur
(they match the existing brifters)

11-34: 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-26-30-34Z
11-36: 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36Z

Lou
Old November 23rd 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

It's Chris wrote:
[...]

SRAM Ten cassettes go to 28t, IRD to 34 teeth.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 23rd 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

DirtRoadie wrote:
Given the constraints you have imposed it would seem that the only
option is a long cage Shimano derailleur (to match the shifters) with
a 10 speed SRAM cassette.
There is also:
http://bike.shimano.com.sg/publish/c...__shimano.html

You would undoubtedly need to add a longer chain.

I have no idea how well that might work. In any case "well" is a
subjective term.

Santana tandems use the IRD Ten cassette with a 34 and
Shimano MTB rear changer. Shifts great. Save yourself some
aggravation and just get a new chain with your new cassette.

Old November 23rd 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 23, 3:13*pm, AMuzi wrote:
It's Chris wrote:
[...]

You must be a road guy.
http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/pr...-1099-cassette

DR
Old November 23rd 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

DirtRoadie wrote:
On Nov 23, 3:13 pm, AMuzi wrote:
It's Chris wrote:
[...]

I am.
Geez, MSRP on that is $399, probably mid-$300 anyway. Yikes!

Old November 23rd 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 23, 3:51*pm, AMuzi wrote:
DirtRoadie wrote:
On Nov 23, 3:13 pm, AMuzi wrote:
It's Chris wrote:
[...]

What do you expect for something that has a 9 hour(!) machining
process?

They do have less expensive models.
DR