Stem mounted shifters

Old December 3rd 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phillip Mcracken

Default Stem mounted shifters

Seems like a more practical mounting position than the downtube, but its
been ghettoized by department store bikes. Is there any sort of bracket or
mount for stem mounting your shifters or a practical reason other than
coolguy style not to put them there?

Old December 3rd 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Dec 3, 1:42*pm, "Phillip Mcracken" wrote:
Seems like a more practical mounting position than the downtube, but its
been ghettoized by department store bikes. *Is there any sort of bracket or
mount for stem mounting your shifters or a practical reason other than
coolguy style not to put them there?

Don't bump them with your knees.

JS.
Old December 3rd 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/2/2010 6:42 PM, Phillip Mcracken wrote:
Seems like a more practical mounting position than the downtube, but its
been ghettoized by department store bikes. Is there any sort of bracket or
mount for stem mounting your shifters or a practical reason other than
coolguy style not to put them there?

I remember when stem mounted shifters were a feature you typically paid
more for, since so few people were riding in the dropped position (along
with brake "safety" levers).

You can buy friction shifters for the stem (5/6 speed) but I don't know
of any bracket where you can move your downtube shifters up.
Old December 3rd 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Phillip Mcracken wrote:
Seems like a more practical mounting position than the downtube, but its
been ghettoized by department store bikes. Is there any sort of bracket or
mount for stem mounting your shifters or a practical reason other than
coolguy style not to put them there?

Within taste which is to say they work just fine and some
riders like them. Modern stem friction units are cheap.

Index models are vintage six, maybe seven. Not Ten or Eleven!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 3rd 10, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 2, 8:42*pm, "Phillip Mcracken" wrote:
Seems like a more practical mounting position than the downtube, but its
been ghettoized by department store bikes. *Is there any sort of bracket or
mount for stem mounting your shifters or a practical reason other than
coolguy style not to put them there?

Only reason to not put them there is that the only available models
you can get new are really junky. If you can find some nice old alu
Sun Tour shifters, go for it. An 8 speed cassette is the most I like
to shift friction, but YMMV.
Old December 8th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

If you can find an old mid priced Schwinn (and I mean "old" and
"Schwinn" as in 1970's and Varsity), they came standard with stem
shifters. You might be able to modify the bracket they used.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old December 8th 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 8, 4:41*pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
If you can find an old mid priced Schwinn (and I mean "old" and
"Schwinn" as in 1970's and Varsity), they came standard with stem
shifters. You might be able to modify the bracket they used.

I actually like those shifters. Nice and long, so they'll really do
some crotchal damage. ;-) Plus, they should feel really sweet with a
modern drivetrain.
Old December 8th 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

landotter wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:41 pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
If you can find an old mid priced Schwinn (and I mean "old" and
"Schwinn" as in 1970's and Varsity), they came standard with stem
shifters. You might be able to modify the bracket they used.

I actually like those shifters. Nice and long, so they'll really do
some crotchal damage. ;-)

Is that akin to Chalo's spike in the centre of a car steering wheel
instead of an airbag?

JS.
Old December 8th 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

landotter wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:41 pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
If you can find an old mid priced Schwinn (and I mean "old" and
"Schwinn" as in 1970's and Varsity), they came standard with stem
shifters. You might be able to modify the bracket they used.

I actually like those shifters. Nice and long, so they'll really do
some crotchal damage. ;-) Plus, they should feel really sweet with a
modern drivetrain.

The original "TwinStik" shifter only moves enough gear wire
for a six speed system.

Old December 8th 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

AMuzi wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:41 pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
If you can find an old mid priced Schwinn (and I mean "old" and
"Schwinn" as in 1970's and Varsity), they came standard with stem
shifters. You might be able to modify the bracket they used.

I actually like those shifters. Nice and long, so they'll really do
some crotchal damage. ;-) Plus, they should feel really sweet with a
modern drivetrain.

The original "TwinStik" shifter only moves enough gear wire for a six
speed system.

The OP needs a movement amplifier!

Either a bigger drum to wrap the wire or a lever with pivot at one end
and two attachment points for the cables, spaced to give the required
amplification.

;-)

JS.

stem-mounted lights? [email protected] Australia 10 April 12th 07 06:42 AM
Stem mounted light suggestions? Gooserider Techniques 3 November 8th 05 12:21 PM
wtb: 6-spd DT/stem shimano shifters, nice alloy mtn hbar/stem for SMALL mountain bike [email protected] Marketplace 1 March 29th 05 10:20 PM
handle mounted shifters JR Off Road 0 September 7th 04 04:21 AM
End bars mounted inside the shifters? mikeg Mountain Biking 18 July 22nd 04 07:06 PM