Mayors to Ride, Unicyclists, Music, etc: 2004 Mayors' Ride Set to Begin

Old May 7th 04, 06:52 PM
Cycle America

Default Mayors to Ride, Unicyclists, Music, etc: 2004 Mayors' Ride Set to Begin

Unbelievable as it is our 2004 Mayors' Ride season is set to begin next
Friday. This year Lars Clausen, a Guinness World Record holding
unicyclist and author will help kick off our first relay in Seattle on
Friday, May 14. And as we have been busy setting that event up with the
extremely supportive and helpful Seattle Mayors' office and brilliant
Cascade Bike Club marketing director, Scott Marlow, we have been also
consumed by many other exciting developments.

A former Mayor signed on to ride the Columbus to Indianapolis relay leg.
And while Steve Shaw was at it, since he lives in Cincinnati and knows
the Mayor there who he refers to as "good ol' Charlie Luken", he is
exploring the possibility of beginning his ride from Cincinnati with
their blessing. And already he has been busy contacting our past rider
veterans of that riding turf for routing suggestions. Steve tells us
that he is using this relay to not only get in shape but that he will
try to get more of his friends to ride at least parts of it with him as
he continues the good work that Jeff Stephens will once again be brining
to Columbus this year. Last year, Jeff brought a virtual city of
cyclists to Columbus NBG Day and he plans more of the same for this year.

Out here on the West Coast, Patrick Thomas is chomping at the bit. Aided
by friends as he tends to a million different logistical considerations
at once while preparing for his trek, not to mention his full time job
as an educator for the San Francisco school district, Patrick will not
feel rested until his ride actually begins. And get this, following in
the footsteps of Lars Clausen who has already transected the nation once
and been in all 50 states on one one wheel, Patrick's "rest" will take
the form of a coast-to-coast bike ride . On a UNICYCLE. A Giant of a
Man, whose heart is filled with love as you can see from his web site
noted below, Patrick's mission will rely on the good will of others. And
it is here that Claire Machado and her music caravan will sag some of
Patrick's ride. Don Loomis, another sweetheart of a man, and our lead
San Francisco to Chicago rider, will help Patrick where he can as will
those of you who sign up to ride any of the relay links in between. You
will get a chance to make history, if your ride coincides with
Patrick's, as you also lend your support to a truly unique individual
who definitely has the power to make the world a better place indeed.

And for those of U who missed it, Skot Paschal, a dynamic middle school
teacher down in the Santa Cruz area and a man who is a blast to be
around will be meeting bike commuter Mayor Dave Bieter on June 16 in
Boise before he heads off to Salt Lake CIty and Mayor Rocky Anderson,
338 miles away. As testimony to Skot's wanting the best for all those
around him, he even has a web he has built around his kids math needs:
http://myschoolonline.com/site/0,187...-47824,00.html . This
man is all about service! In fact it was his example in Arcata that got
Mayor Bob Ornelas fired up enough that he is riding from Eugene to
Arcata and maybe even all the way to the Bay Area this year!! Here is
Skot's ride from Eugene to Arcata to Napa last year:
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.c...ery/Arcata2003

In the bigger picture, the 3rd Annual Mayors' Ride which you can find at
http://www.BikeRoute.com/NationalMayorsRide2004 , will visit 24 west
coast cities, 6 east coast cities, and 41 in all before it ends in
Chicago on July 30 . And before NBG riders even head for the Windy City,
both coasts will be alive with excitement. After the ride kicks off from
Seattle, other relay legs will find athletes on Rowbikes, Tampa FL
creating a huge celebration send off and antique HiWheelers turning
heads in the SF Bay Area and along the Sacramento American River
Parkway, etc, all as Claire Machado's band, C.A.M. Engine, prepares
population centers from LA to Chicago for the riders' arrivals with
music.

And the above is only a small part of the excitement soon ahead

To sign up for our ride:
http://NationalBicycleGreenway.com/Forms/newriders.php

Links from above:
Lars web: http://www.onewheel.org
Cascade Bike Club: http://cascade.org
Steve Shaw web:
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.c...ios/Steve_Shaw
..php
Jeff Stephens web:
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.c...bios/jstephens.
php
2003 Columbus NBG Day:
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/gallery/Columbus
Patrick Thomas web: http://www.pedalthewaves.org
Claire M web: http://www.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Cam_Engine
Don Loomis web:
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.c...ios/don_loomis
..php
Rowbike web: http://Rowbike.com

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, '79 & '86 TransAms
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
Can You Change it with Love?
N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y