New to mountain bikes

Old December 18th 03, 07:11 PM
bob

Default New to mountain bikes

Hi
It all started about 8 weeks ago when I packed
up smoking, I found I had loads of excess energy and no where
to spend it, A mountain bike was purchased.
It was the best bike in the world, it must be, it cost
me £160 and had front suspension!
I haven't own a "push bike" for more than 20 smoke filled years
and £160 is a lot of money to me, bought from Halfords and called
the Apollo Transition it was a trusty 2 wheeled stallion and life
could not have been better. I then went on to buy all the necessary
accessories for "mountain biking".
Starting new hobbies is a hobby of mine, and I tend to jump in with
both feet and a blindfold on, I bought a mountain bike magazine (What
Mountain Bike) only to find the Apollo name not listed at all.
Some guy was giving advice on buying a new mountain bike and
says if you are buying a "bargain basement" bike for less than £200
don't buy one with ANY suspension !! The mag didn't really
recognise any bike under £200 Kona, Specialized, Muddyfox etc etc
all alien names to me. "OH well, maybe he is wrong" I tried to tell myself.
After about a week of riding, the pumping muscle
pain that I felt when I stopped peddling, was starting to fade and my arse
was becoming accustomed to the torture "Gel" saddle, this included an add
on layer of drawstring retained gel. Rides in excess of 5 miles were now
possible
Its amazing what you miss when driving a car, I have found loads of bridle
paths
and short cuts that I didn't know existed and ive lost count of the number
of rabbits, squirrels etc that ive seen.
Disaster struck at the end of the second week, the bottom bracket failed
and the cranks were flapping and clonking.
Why is it called a bottom bracket? its not a bracket , its a bearing.
Terminology
as well as technology has obviously moved on.
I took the bike back to Halfords, 2 days later and still no bike, I went
round there to see why not, after realising it wasn't their top priority
(understandably) I asked for my money back, a lot of ummms and arrghs
followed, so I asked about and upgrade, no problem.
The assistant then proceeded to show me almost every bike in the shop,
even getting some out of the warehouse for me to try, explaining to
pros and cons of the various bikes, disc brakes, full sus etc.
I ended up getting a GT aggressor in the end, although I almost bought
the Kona Fire Mountain. OK these are still classed as the low'ish
end of mountain bikes, but they are a world away from my first purchase.
Im not sure of the moral of my story, maybe its you get what you pay for?
maybe its look before you leap?
But its definitely stop smoking, ive never felt so alive

BoB

Old December 18th 03, 10:11 PM
CP1

"bob" wrote in message
Hi
[...]
BoB

Welcome.

Please help us all out and on occasion (when train of thought or parkinson
like movements occur) and hit the [ENTER] key on your keyboard.

Yours is ALT.M-B,

--

CP1

Old December 18th 03, 10:28 PM
Penny S

CP1 found this in the back of the refrigerator:
"bob" wrote in message
Hi
[...]
BoB

Welcome.

Please help us all out and on occasion (when train of thought or
parkinson like movements occur) and hit the [ENTER] key on your
keyboard.

Yours is ALT.M-B,

here's our FAQ ( hopefully I have the new URL ) so lest you think we're
getting cranky with you, no one is.

http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

Old December 19th 03, 04:14 AM
Slacker

BoB

Dang it!!! Even the foreigners now have the smiley!

Someone better kawf up the damn secret b4 I get really ****ed and sick a
very hungry kitty on your ass's.
--
Slacker

Old December 19th 03, 04:41 AM
ireman_1

Bob wrote:
Im not sure of the moral of my story, maybe its you get what you pay
for? maybe its look before you leap? But its definitely stop smoking,
ive never felt so alive
BoB

Definitely read the FAQ and Welcome. I've found a good guideline fo
buying bikes/components/guns/music is to find out what amount my wif
frowns at and then double that (roughly)! Kidding, sort of. Ride wha
you can afford and what makes you smile the most. The rest is jus
bravado and details (although there is a "noticeable difference" betwee
a Wal-goose and a $3K+ semi-custom). Have fun and congrats on gettin
that ******* monkey off your back

-

Old December 19th 03, 10:48 AM
bomba

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:11:30 +0000, bob wrote:

I haven't own a "push bike" for more than 20 smoke filled years
and £160 is a lot of money to me, bought from Halfords and called
the Apollo Transition it was a trusty 2 wheeled stallion and life
could not have been better. I then went on to buy all the necessary
accessories for "mountain biking".

Ah, beautiful Apollos...

Disaster struck at the end of the second week, the bottom bracket failed
and the cranks were flapping and clonking.

Ah, beautiful Apollos...

I ended up getting a GT aggressor in the end, although I almost bought
the Kona Fire Mountain. OK these are still classed as the low'ish
end of mountain bikes, but they are a world away from my first purchase.
Im not sure of the moral of my story, maybe its you get what you pay for?

Pretty much true with mountain biking, up to a point. Certainly you get
diminishing returns as you get to the upper end of the scale though.

maybe its look before you leap?
But its definitely stop smoking, ive never felt so alive

Congratulations, and enjoy your rides. Whereabouts are you based? Some
of us may be able to offer ideas of places to ride, etc.

Old December 19th 03, 03:30 PM
bob

maybe its look before you leap?
But its definitely stop smoking, ive never felt so alive

Congratulations, and enjoy your rides. Whereabouts are you based? Some
of us may be able to offer ideas of places to ride, etc.

Hi bomba
Im in West Sussex close to the South Downs, went
for a ride there this morn, from Devils Dyke to
Truleigh Hill. That's about as far as I can manage
at my current fitness level.

BoB

Old December 19th 03, 03:45 PM
bomba

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:30:37 +0000, bob wrote:

Congratulations, and enjoy your rides. Whereabouts are you based? Some
of us may be able to offer ideas of places to ride, etc.

Hi bomba
Im in West Sussex close to the South Downs, went
for a ride there this morn, from Devils Dyke to
Truleigh Hill. That's about as far as I can manage
at my current fitness level.

There's quite a large mountain bike scene based out of Brighton and Hove,
I believe. You might want to check on the forums at
www.singletrackworld.com for riders and details of trails / rides in your
area.
Old December 19th 03, 06:05 PM
bob

There's quite a large mountain bike scene based out of Brighton and Hove,
I believe. You might want to check on the forums at
www.singletrackworld.com for riders and details of trails / rides in your
area.

Thanks for that, very interesting site

BoB

Old December 19th 03, 11:26 PM
Stephen Baker

Bob says:

Im in West Sussex close to the South Downs,

My part of the world (well, it was 30 years ago...)
We lived between Burgess Hill and Ansty, out in the boonies. Used to bike all
over the place, but there weren't any "mountain bikes" around back then.
Moved to Emsworth about 1972-ish, then the States in '84.

Steve

Good News! Joe Breeze Abandons the Mountain Bike for Practical Bikes! BB Mountain Biking 2 December 10th 03 05:37 PM
Research on Mountain Bikes dswilson General 12 December 10th 03 07:45 AM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 01:16 PM
JEEP Mountain Bikes at reasonable prices! Derek Mountain Biking 12 September 29th 03 01:28 PM
ladies mountain bikes Alastair General 9 July 23rd 03 01:18 AM