Repairing Cracked Carbon Ergo Bodies

Old July 13th 05, 12:52 AM
App

Default Repairing Cracked Carbon Ergo Bodies

Greetings!

The day before I left for the Death Ride my dad rolled over me while we
were out on a ride (him behind me, I turned left and he didn't, but
should have). Sadly, both he and my Record ergos suffered
possibly-permanent damage. The carbon body on one of the shifters has
cracked clean through on the inside face of the body below the brake
blade pivot, leaving the pivot pin supported only on one side.

Can this be repaired? My father, recognizing his fault in the
incident, has offered to pay for any necessary repairs and/or
replacement. I would prefer to keep it cheap(er) even though
replacement would probably be the easiest route.

TIA

App

P.S.: Anyone who is wondering how the Death Ride went, see my post in
rbm.

Old July 13th 05, 05:39 AM

Hey App,

I jury-rigged my ergo body 2 weeks ago when I received the shifter as a
hand-me-down. I used several coats of junky superglue, which I didn't
believe would hold up very well. Sure enough, it broke on me last week
while braking normally. I can still pull it gently, but I'm relying
much more on my rear brake currently.

I ordered my new Record ergo body just this afternoon. Any LBS that
carries QBP should charge ~$72 for a new 2004-2005 or ~$66 for the
2001-2003 series.

Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 13th 05, 07:55 AM
dabac

App Wrote:
.. The carbon body on one of the shifters has
cracked clean through on the inside face of the body below the brake
blade pivot, leaving the pivot pin supported only on one side.

Can this be repaired?

Many carbon structures CAN be repared, at the cost of some weight an
aestethics. If you could post a pic that would help

--
dabac

Old July 13th 05, 01:50 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

App wrote:
Greetings!

The day before I left for the Death Ride my dad rolled over me while we
were out on a ride (him behind me, I turned left and he didn't, but
should have). Sadly, both he and my Record ergos suffered
possibly-permanent damage. The carbon body on one of the shifters has
cracked clean through on the inside face of the body below the brake
blade pivot, leaving the pivot pin supported only on one side.

Can this be repaired? My father, recognizing his fault in the
incident, has offered to pay for any necessary repairs and/or
replacement. I would prefer to keep it cheap(er) even though
replacement would probably be the easiest route.

Replace the ERGO body. Very avialable and about $40. Find somebody that
'qui si parla Campagnolo'..if nobody, send it to me for a one day turn
around.

Vecchio's
303-440-3535
www.vecchios.com

Old July 13th 05, 04:58 PM

App wrote:
Greetings!

The day before I left for the Death Ride my dad rolled over me while we
were out on a ride (him behind me, I turned left and he didn't, but
should have). Sadly, both he and my Record ergos suffered
possibly-permanent damage. The carbon body on one of the shifters has
cracked clean through on the inside face of the body below the brake
blade pivot, leaving the pivot pin supported only on one side.

Can this be repaired? My father, recognizing his fault in the
incident, has offered to pay for any necessary repairs and/or
replacement.

You signaled before your move, I hope.

Old July 14th 05, 02:24 AM

It's just regular plastic. All plastic has carbon in it. We're made
of carbon. We have fibers, too... I guess fibrin can be called carbon
fiber?

Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 14th 05, 02:28 AM

Interesting... they say that the Veloce/Centaur bodies work okay. I
figured that the Chorus/Record bodies needed part #13 in the schematic
shown on that site for some reason. It would account for the ~$50
difference between the Record/Chorus and Centaur/Veloce bodies, at
least through our supplier.

Squid-in-Training

Old July 14th 05, 01:41 PM
App

SSTW:

You signaled before your move, I hope.

Hell, he even told me to go left when I asked "left or right".

So I did. He didn't.

App