'He is innocent' part 2: Basso case to be abandoned for lack of evidence?

Old September 20th 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

Default 'He is innocent' part 2: Basso case to be abandoned for lack of evidence?

Quote from http://www.bicirace.com/news/2006/20060919.html

"The discovery of sacks of blood, intercepted faxes and phone calls are
apparently not sufficient enough to sanction Ivan Basso. Franco Cosenza,
anti-doping lawyer of CONI (Comitato Olimpico Nazionale Italiano), does
not seem to have the evidence needed to defer Basso to the disciplinary
commission of the FCI (Federazione Ciclistica Italiana) and it is likely
the case will be archived.
Cosenza has summonsed Basso, banned from starting the Tour de France due to
the ProTour's Ethical Codes after Spanish investigators found several
links to the Italian during Operación Puerto, to Roma on 29 September.
This will be the second meeting of the parties, including Basso's lawyer,
Massimo Martelli, in la CittÃ* Eterna.
The last hurdle for Ivan Basso will be to face CAS (Court of Arbitration
for Sport) and to find a team who is willing to risk their reputation to
sign him. The UCI have already announced that if the Italian's case is
archived then they will appeal the decision to CAS. Basso's contract with
CSC is likely to be terminated due to the falling out between the rider
and Team Manager Riis."

Speaking as an acknowledged Basso fan, I'm not at all sure I'm happy with
this. After all the fuss I think we do need at least to have the evidence
presented in a public judicial setting. I hope Basso is innocent, but if
he is innocent that's all the more reason not to brush it under the
carpet. If he isn't innocent, he ought to be sanctioned.

to err is human, to lisp divine
;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

Old September 20th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
billb

Simon Brooke wrote:
Quote from http://www.bicirace.com/news/2006/20060919.html

[snipped out story]

Speaking as an acknowledged Basso fan, I'm not at all sure I'm happy with
this. After all the fuss I think we do need at least to have the evidence
presented in a public judicial setting. I hope Basso is innocent, but if
he is innocent that's all the more reason not to brush it under the
carpet. If he isn't innocent, he ought to be sanctioned.

to err is human, to lisp divine
;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

Basso will never be determined "innocent" -- the best he will get is
"not guilty" which is quite a different conclusion/determination.
Best,
Bill Black

Old September 20th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message . com, billb
') wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
Quote from http://www.bicirace.com/news/2006/20060919.html

[snipped out story]

Speaking as an acknowledged Basso fan, I'm not at all sure I'm happy
with this. After all the fuss I think we do need at least to have the
evidence presented in a public judicial setting. I hope Basso is
innocent, but if he is innocent that's all the more reason not to brush
it under the carpet. If he isn't innocent, he ought to be sanctioned.

Basso will never be determined "innocent" -- the best he will get is
"not guilty" which is quite a different conclusion/determination.

At this stage, a 'not guilty' after due consideration of the evidence would
be better than no hearing at all. Otherwise people are going to whisper
about him for the rest of his career. Although I suppose they would
anyway...

Just as defying the law of gravity through building aircraft requires
careful design and a lot of effort, so too does defying laws of
economics. It seems to be a deeply ingrained aspect of humanity to
forever strive to improve things, so unquestioning acceptance of a
free market system seems to me to be unnatural. ;; Charles Bryant

Old September 21st 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Simon Brooke wrote:

in message . com, billb
') wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
Quote from http://www.bicirace.com/news/2006/20060919.html

[snipped out story]

Speaking as an acknowledged Basso fan, I'm not at all sure I'm happy
with this. After all the fuss I think we do need at least to have the
evidence presented in a public judicial setting. I hope Basso is
innocent, but if he is innocent that's all the more reason not to brush
it under the carpet. If he isn't innocent, he ought to be sanctioned.

Basso will never be determined "innocent" -- the best he will get is
"not guilty" which is quite a different conclusion/determination.

At this stage, a 'not guilty' after due consideration of the evidence would
be better than no hearing at all. Otherwise people are going to whisper
about him for the rest of his career. Although I suppose they would
anyway...

Based on the pattern around here, people will whisper not simply because he was
vaguely implicated in the Puerto case, but because he wins (or even finishes well
in) a race. He's going to be carrying that one around until he retires. Or longer. I
do hope that he and Riis can sort things out. It'd be a real drag if he was to split
from CSC.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old September 21st 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bob sullivan

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message . com, billb
') wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
Quote from http://www.bicirace.com/news/2006/20060919.html

[snipped out story]

Speaking as an acknowledged Basso fan, I'm not at all sure I'm happy
with this. After all the fuss I think we do need at least to have the
evidence presented in a public judicial setting. I hope Basso is
innocent, but if he is innocent that's all the more reason not to brush
it under the carpet. If he isn't innocent, he ought to be sanctioned.

Basso will never be determined "innocent" -- the best he will get is
"not guilty" which is quite a different conclusion/determination.

At this stage, a 'not guilty' after due consideration of the evidence would
be better than no hearing at all. Otherwise people are going to whisper
about him for the rest of his career. Although I suppose they would
anyway...

Sorry to break it to you, Simon (really, I am; I'm a Basso fan, too),
but it doesn't matter how this plays out. From now on, there will always
be whispers about Basso, whether or not they're true. It's the nature of
rumor.

~bob
Old September 21st 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Howard Kveck wrote:

In article ,
Simon Brooke wrote:

in message . com, billb
') wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
[...]

Howard:

to question the Millar Line in this way, however obliquely, is to side
with the dopers.

Regarding the nature of Basso's apparent exoneration, the fundamental
lesson of adversarial court proceedings is that the object is not to be
exonerated, or to have one's day in court, or to find facts: it is to
win. Make the best case possible, counter the opposing case as well as
possible, but ultimately, the best you can hope for is to get outta
there with as little loss as possible.

What bulb for dynamo. Martin Dann UK 352 July 22nd 05 07:12 AM
BMA page updated Just zis Guy, you know? UK 8 March 4th 05 11:35 PM
on Bush and his crashes Boris Foelsch Techniques 1152 November 12th 04 03:33 AM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM