Diagnosing a wheel problem?

Old November 5th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BluntRM

Default Diagnosing a wheel problem?

So here it is:
*
The wheel on a new unicycle sits far too close to one side*, about 3/4"
space between the frame on the Left side and less than 3/8" on the
Right side.

*When the wheel is flipped the gaps also switch, keeping those same
dimensions, but on the different sides*, now 3/4" on the Right 3/8" on
the Left.

*This would indicate a problem with wheel and not the frame*...

*What should I be checking, adjusting, etc.?* What are the obvious
solutions--- it's a Qu-ax 20" Trials with the yellow hub --- if anyone
else has run into this problem or could share their
knowledge/experience, it would be great to read it.

--
BluntRM

"Man has, as it were, become a kind of prosthetic god. When he puts on
all his auxiliary organs he is truly magnificent; but those organs have
not grown on to him and they still give him much trouble at times."
Sigmund Freud, -Civilization and Its Discontents-
'
Marxist Internet Archive' (http://www.marxists.org/)
BluntRM's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12994

Old November 5th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

It's dished incorrectly. Tighten up all the spokes on the side that has
the bigger gap by about 1/2 turn each, then check again.

--
onelesscar

"It's f*$%^*g raining!"
"Well, is it f*$%^*g or is it raining?"

"That car was -melting-????"
onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127

Old November 5th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

onelesscar wrote:
It's dished incorrectly. Tighten up all the spokes on the side that has
the bigger gap by about 1/2 turn each, then check again.

Good point but don't just tighten the ones on the too big gap side to
fix it. First, tighten those as mentioned. On the next iteration,
loosen all the spokes on the too small side. Then tighten the too big
gap side again. Then loosen, and so on.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

Finally made it to my (n+1)th post....* TOTALLY AWESOME!!!*

Unicycle For the Chafing

Old November 22nd 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BluntRM

So..................

The LBS couldn't fix it cheaply: With a new wheel, if the cost of
fixing it is less than the hassle of returning it I'd consider the
option-- it wasn't. I returned it. Just over two weeks later, it came
back. Whatever UDC did to fix it, the wheel is still offset on the
frame with a 2.5:1 gap ratio favoring the left.

I don't know what UDC did; I'm thinking it needs to be rebuilt, but I'd
rather defer to the forum for a an informed opinion.

Ideas?

Old November 22nd 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

Pictures please? Honestly, I don't see what's so weird about it. It's
just improperly dished. Just get out your spoke wrench, and you can fix
it in like 15 mins. Machine built wheels can't be expected to be
perfect all the time.

Old November 22nd 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

The frame isn't the same lengths on the bearing brackets, you need a
small (1mm thick) shim to put in the bearing holder.

--
Borgschulze

Spare some change for a new unicycle?
Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501

Old November 22nd 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
One on one

Borgschulze wrote:
The frame isn't the same lengths on the bearing brackets, you need a
small (1mm thick) shim to put in the bearing holder.

That's unlikely where the gap changes side when the wheel is flipped.
The original assessment about dishing the wheel should fix the problem.

--
One on one

"That's going to end up in somebody's sig." - rob.northcott
One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

Old November 22nd 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Borgschulze wrote:
The frame isn't the same lengths on the bearing brackets, you need a
small (1mm thick) shim to put in the bearing holder.

But the problem is the same on the other side if he flips the wheel.

I think it's still a problem w/ the spokes.

I had this same problem on my b*ke. The rim was rubbing the brake pad,
but on only one side. So I did as Harper said, but only going in 1/4
turn incriments, making sure the spokes retained the same overal
tightness. But now it was rubbing on the other side only. 45 minutes
after starting it was near perfect w/ a +/- 1/16" wobble, only
noticable as a slight pulsing when I apply the brakes.

--
skilewis74

Old November 22nd 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Just add a shim anyways.

--
Borgschulze

Spare some change for a new unicycle?
Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501

Diagnosing Leg Length Discrepancy [email protected] Techniques 7 February 21st 06 03:19 AM
Wheel truing problem [email protected] Techniques 10 June 23rd 05 08:52 PM
Wheel problem Ken General 4 May 5th 05 04:26 PM
Wheel problem Ken Techniques 5 May 5th 05 04:26 PM
Self-Diagnosing Transmission Doug Goncz Mountain Biking 1 November 17th 03 04:01 AM