general rules for wear and tear on a road bike

Old February 26th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default general rules for wear and tear on a road bike

Hello,
Is there a general rule of thumb for things wearing out?
I am up to 2,150km and it is all still all original
tires, mine have a few small cuts, they look pretty bald??? I still
have not had one flat tire yet.

chain sprockets
brake pads, the brakes have been tightened a few times
These items look ok, to me but is there a point where these should be
replaced?

When it is time for a new sprockets and delrailer (i have 105), can i
upgrade to ultegra, without changing my shifters on my handlebars?

Old February 26th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
PiledHigher

Some best estimates from my experience:

Tyres 3-5000km
Chains 3-6000km
Casettes 2-3 chains
Chainrings 2-3 cassettes
Frames 50,000km
Wheels 10-20,000km
Headsets 10-20,000km
Bottom Brackets 20,000km
Brake pads 1-5000km (very weather dependant)
Saddles 20,000km
Handlebar tape 10,000km

YMMV!

Old February 26th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

thanks,
how many km's does everyone do a year?
I have had my bike 8 months and done 2,150km's
How many do people do in a normal week?
i do 20kms each week day and something extra if i get time on the
weekend 24kms.

When is a good time to trade in on a bike? I am only thinking of
doing it so i can get a better one.

Old February 26th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marian

On Feb 26, 9:30 am, wrote:
thanks,
how many km's does everyone do a year?
I have had my bike 8 months and done 2,150km's
How many do people do in a normal week?
i do 20kms each week day and something extra if i get time on the
weekend 24kms.

When is a good time to trade in on a bike? I am only thinking of
doing it so i can get a better one.

Since I've yet to hit two years as a cyclist it is hard to really say
what normal is... however, I can make a guess at between 200-400km.
Weather dependent. Schedule dependent.

Best month had around 1700km.

Old February 26th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

wrote:
Hello,
Is there a general rule of thumb for things wearing out?
I am up to 2,150km and it is all still all original

That is not so far for most things.

tires, mine have a few small cuts, they look pretty bald??? I still
have not had one flat tire yet.

Tires should last more like 2-4K miles, so you have at least a thousand
km before you should be wearing out all but the most flimsy of tires.
Still, some brands last better than others. Bald is irrelevant (so I
keep telling myself), what matters is performance. Tread will not
affect that. Worry when you see cord, or when you start getting a lot
of flats.

chain sprockets
brake pads, the brakes have been tightened a few times
These items look ok, to me but is there a point where these should be
replaced?

In short, yes, for the brake pads and sprockets -- and chain. Changing
the chain when it is stretched by 1/16" over a 12" span will keep the
sprockets and chainrings in good shape for several thousand miles.
Brake arches are good forever, essentially.

When it is time for a new sprockets and delrailer (i have 105), can i
upgrade to ultegra, without changing my shifters on my handlebars?

yes, but derailleurs should last considerably longer than sprockets;
tens of thousands of miles. The rotating parts will eventually wear, at
which time it is probably not worth repairing, but that will take a while.

--

David L. Johnson

It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can only be
cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and Colnagos are a lot
cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies
Old February 26th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ddog

On Feb 26, 1:30 am, "David L. Johnson"
How many do people do in a normal week?

100 miles is a good weekend. 50 miles is OK, less sucks. For me,
during the week, it's just commuting.

David L. Johnson

Wow, that's great Dave. You must be in excellent condition and/or an
athlete
I bet you do wear some bike parts out.

Old February 26th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Feb 25, 5:29 pm, "PiledHIgher" wrote:
Some best estimates from my experience:

Tyres 3-5000km
Chains 3-6000km
Casettes 2-3 chains
Chainrings 2-3 cassettes
Frames 50,000km
Wheels 10-20,000km
Headsets 10-20,000km
Bottom Brackets 20,000km
Brake pads 1-5000km (very weather dependant)
Saddles 20,000km
Handlebar tape 10,000km

YMMV!

YMMV is correct. A well made bicycle frame should last forever, way
beyond 30,000 miles or 5 years or so for a lot of riders. Similar for
headsets and wheels.

Old February 26th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

when i began bike maintenance, the lbs pointedly told me that most
bikes no matter the price-they sell cannondale as an lbs chain-are
worn out in a year from lack of cleaning and lubrication eg wax at
shifters cable ends brake pivots.
go down to and up to various income level bike racks and take a look-
wear out!
the well maintained bike is a rarity.