Zebee 1 Melville St 0!

Old October 8th 07, 01:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Zebee 1 Melville St 0!

Well, I finally bloody did it.

got up Melville St in one hit. Grinding up in the granny gear and I
suspect if I had been wearing a heartrate monitor it would have
exploded, but I did it!

Overcast today and not too hot which helped, usuall there's a tree
whose shade calls to me, no shade, no evil distraction.

I noticed that I am hitting 100rpm on the flat a lot more too, without
feeling I'm trying hard. Might not be going all that fast, but boy am
I spinning!

(Alas the speedo on the Sigma's given up, have to wiggle some more
wires while praying to St Vidicon of Cathode I suspect)

Zebee
Old October 8th 07, 05:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2007-10-08, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Well, I finally bloody did it.

got up Melville St in one hit. Grinding up in the granny gear and I
suspect if I had been wearing a heartrate monitor it would have
exploded, but I did it!

Well done Zebee! Bikely.com tells me it's about a 7% grade, but bits of
it are steeper. V. impressed!

--
John
If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were
Old October 8th 07, 05:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 08 Oct 2007 04:02:24 -0000
On 2007-10-08, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Well, I finally bloody did it.

got up Melville St in one hit. Grinding up in the granny gear and I
suspect if I had been wearing a heartrate monitor it would have
exploded, but I did it!

Well done Zebee! Bikely.com tells me it's about a 7% grade, but bits of
it are steeper. V. impressed!

I was afraid to check bikely

I will have to find someone with reliable scales to find out what the
bent in commuting rig weighs. A Lot, I suspect.

Ah well, must be doing me good!

Zebee
Old October 8th 07, 05:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

John Pitts wrote:

Well done Zebee! Bikely.com tells me it's about a 7% grade, but bits of
it are steeper. V. impressed!

Congrats Zeebee.

The grade puts it in a perspective I can relate to as George St in
Campbelltown is similar grade, but only 200 metres long (the bit I did).

Took me quite a while to be able to do in one pull with no walking, then
I did it as the regular "commute" to and from the post office each
morning when I was doing a mail order business. Yes, the parcels went on
the downhill.

It certainly helps with improving and keeping the fitness.

Old October 8th 07, 05:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Oct 8, 10:34 am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Well, I finally bloody did it.

got up Melville St in one hit. Grinding up in the granny gear and I
suspect if I had been wearing a heartrate monitor it would have
exploded, but I did it!

Overcast today and not too hot which helped, usuall there's a tree
whose shade calls to me, no shade, no evil distraction.

I noticed that I am hitting 100rpm on the flat a lot more too, without
feeling I'm trying hard. Might not be going all that fast, but boy am
I spinning!

(Alas the speedo on the Sigma's given up, have to wiggle some more
wires while praying to St Vidicon of Cathode I suspect)

Zebee

w00t!

Top stuff, Zebee!

Old October 8th 07, 06:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:41:45 +1000
Terryc wrote:

The grade puts it in a perspective I can relate to as George St in
Campbelltown is similar grade, but only 200 metres long (the bit I did).

Melville St is abot 800m I think. starts out "a bit steep" then you
can see there's a crease in the road (which is where I change to the
small front ring) where it gets suddenly steeper then you go around a
little curve and see it get steeper!

I haven't walked at all, when I got either too leg-tired (from pushing
the middle ring too far) or too puffed (from trying to spin up the
bloody thing) I'd pull over and rest. Getting off and walking would
be too difficult.

My worst effort was 4 stops. Most of the time I took two, got it down
to once a couple of times. Old fella across the road offered to get
me some cold water once, I must have looked a sight!

Zebee
Old October 8th 07, 07:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
MikeyOz[_217_]

Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
Well, I finally bloody did it.

got up Melville St in one hit. Grinding up in the granny gear and I
suspect if I had been wearing a heartrate monitor it would have
exploded, but I did it!

Not trying to take away from your achievement, congrats, but is that
score accurate is ?? Is that your first attempt or did the hill win a
few times first ???

--
MikeyOz

Old October 8th 07, 08:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:32:55 +1000
MikeyOz wrote:

Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
Well, I finally bloody did it.

got up Melville St in one hit. Grinding up in the granny gear and I
suspect if I had been wearing a heartrate monitor it would have
exploded, but I did it!

Not trying to take away from your achievement, congrats, but is that
score accurate is ?? Is that your first attempt or did the hill win a
few times first ???

"finally bloody did it". Does sort of imply more than one try

I first talked about it a couple of months
ago, how it was beating me into a pulp. My worst effort was 4 stops I
think, I was mostly taking two, managed one once and now all the way.

Zebee
Old October 8th 07, 10:53 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 9 Oct 2007 06:57:23 +1000
Ray wrote:

Presactly, title now corrected :-p

Nah. Every game is a new game! Score correctly recorded.

I'll let you know about the season totals in a while....

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote: Lisa Australia 0 September 22nd 06 03:19 AM
Zebee, is this you? Bleve Australia 2 July 4th 06 04:27 AM