Ancient Order of Badger - first half-century

Old May 23rd 04, 02:12 PM
curt

Default Ancient Order of Badger - first half-century

Excellent.

Curt

"Badger_South" wrote in message

53 miles Three hours, 45 minutes.

Yay, me. ;-D

First blood at 29 miles - jumped up 'OMG hope the bike is OK, so I don't
have to stop!'

-B

Old May 23rd 04, 02:46 PM
Roger Zoul

curt wrote:
:: If knees hurting, double check saddle height and make sure it is high
:: enough. You probably already know that, but just in case. I was
:: having knee problems and raised that saddle and problems stopped.

Well, yesterday I took some ibuprofen. Then today, before my 26 mile
"recovery" ride, I took some more. No problems! So I don't know what to
think -- except that perhaps my gym work is somehow contributing to this.
I'll keep paying attention and will do what is needed, since I want to keep
riding.

::
:: Roger you are really kicking on your rides. Nice distances!
::

Thanks. I'm getting a little better at riding while standing. Watching Lance
ride while standing on OLN helps

I only got 104 miles (3 rides) in this week as it was raining on Tuesday
morn. I want to average at least 100 miles per week right now. I like my
longest ride to be on Saturday, since I can leave at first light. I'm
getting anxious to start pushing over 50, though. We'll see.

:: Curt
::
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Badger_South wrote:
::::: 53 miles Three hours, 45 minutes.
:::::
::::: Yay, me. ;-D
:::::
::::: First blood at 29 miles - jumped up 'OMG hope the bike is OK, so I
::::: don't have to stop!'
:::
::: Good for you, Mr. 15-mile minirides. That's a big jump, ain't it?
:::
::: I only got 42 miles in today....I cut it short as the back of my
::: knees were hurting??????
:::
::: I think it is those reverse hyperextensions in the gym....or I need
::: to make adjustments to the saddle...but I don't think it's the
::: latter as I've not had this problem before....and I just started
::: doing those hyperextensions....
:::
::: Did you get the new bike yet?

Old May 23rd 04, 03:23 PM
Badger_South

On Sat, 22 May 2004 16:27:48 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Badger_South wrote:
:: 53 miles Three hours, 45 minutes.
::
:: Yay, me. ;-D
::
:: First blood at 29 miles - jumped up 'OMG hope the bike is OK, so I
:: don't have to stop!'

Good for you, Mr. 15-mile minirides. That's a big jump, ain't it?

Thanks to all who replied. Yeah it feels good, and I had absolutely no
pain, soreness or anything. As many know I do up to three 10 mile rides a
day and have averaged a little over 20 miles a day, and now 500 miles in
the last 5 weeks. So it's really no big deal to do the 50 at that training
level. I went out today despite a head cold and got in a new feature that
I've added:

"Fred" Criterium -
o ride long slow distance first 5 days/week two-a-day rides ok;
o do a max distance effort on day 6;
o ride as fast a single lap (4 miles) as possible on day 7;

After slogging it all week putting in the long distance, and making a
distance record on Sat, the last ride of the week, I got out early at dawn
and did a single lap / 4 mile ride, in the hardest possible gear cranking
it as fast as possible for the entire lap, then do two cool down laps to
complete the 10 miles, (smell the roses, stop to talk to ppl, be extra
friendly)

When I first started riding the trail it took me 25 minutes to ride the
four mile circle. I then rode for 225 days, culminating in a high water
mark of 50 miles, and did that same circle in 16:50, and was stopped for
speeding. (heh, heh - see my post "Friendly Police encounter").

Monday or Tuesday I pick up my new bike (Trek 7500FX) and will probably go
to Va beach for a two week vacation and some new riding venues.

Again thanks for all the kind woids - youse guys are gr-r-reat!

-Badger

Old May 23rd 04, 03:26 PM
David Reuteler

H. M. Leary wrote:
I thought that with age came wisdom.

nope, age comes with age. wisdom comes with experience.
--
david reuteler

Old May 23rd 04, 03:28 PM
Badger_South

On Sat, 22 May 2004 17:12:36 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:

In article ,
says...

53 miles Three hours, 45 minutes.

Yay, me. ;-D

First blood at 29 miles - jumped up 'OMG hope the bike is OK, so I don't
have to stop!'

Way to go, B! Next step is a metric century.

Hey, that's right! Sheesh, had I thought of that it'd only have been 9 more
miles.

The 50 miles was sweet - absolutely no soreness, tiredness, numb buttness,
and riding at dawn it was really like a dream, riding in Disneyland, riding
on a cloud. And I did it on the 45lb *Mart clunker. It should be no problem
on the new Trek 7500FX.

Today no soreness, tiredness or anything and I kicked major virus / head
cold butt!

-B

Old May 23rd 04, 10:21 PM
Neil Cherry

On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:27:34 GMT, H. M. Leary wrote:
In article , "Eric S. Sande"
wrote:

It's like 90 degrees in DC and humid.

Same weather here, and like the idiot I am, I rode a metric with the
younger crowd. Averaged 18.65mph according to the computer.

If there is a God, and she/he has any mercy, I should be dead by
this afternoon! I thought that with age came wisdom. HAND

Now we're talking, just finished a ride yesterday of 102 miles @
18.8mph in NJ with high heat and humidity. And today we did an easier
ride of 62 miles at 18.1mph the temps were only in the high 80's when
we finished. The best previous was 102 @ 18.3mph in a thunderstorm and
62 @ 17.6 mph the next day. There were pace lines but it was really
fun! Now I have to figure out where to get sunblock that can stay on
all day. Once I start sweating I can't get the stuff back on. Also my
legs have wicked heat rash or I'm allergic to the sun block but only
in some spots. That along with wicked sunburn splotches.

BTW, so as not to belittle the accomplishments of the original poster,
my first rides where short rides of 7 miles at about 12 mph. That was
15 years ago. All the little goals such as better speed, pace lines,
metrics, centuries and double centuries are amazing. Eventually things
like riding in the rain will be cool (at least dring the heat of the
summer) and you'll view things like a short ride as 30 miles at
lunch. Weekend rides are metrics and centuries. Weird! Hey at least
I'm not into brevets (yet!). ;-)

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old May 23rd 04, 11:30 PM
Badger_South

On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:21:03 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:

BTW, so as not to belittle the accomplishments of the original poster,
my first rides where short rides of 7 miles at about 12 mph. That was
15 years ago. All the little goals such as better speed, pace lines,
metrics, centuries and double centuries are amazing. Eventually things
like riding in the rain will be cool (at least dring the heat of the
summer) and you'll view things like a short ride as 30 miles at
lunch. Weekend rides are metrics and centuries. Weird! Hey at least
I'm not into brevets (yet!). ;-)

No belittlement taken, Neil. Congrats!

I've got lots of gnarly and long training in my past as a swimmer and
runner, and some biking from 30+ years ago...

I've already improved past the point I might imagine - for me even the goal
of riding every day for 250ish days is pretty self-inspiring.

I ride in the rain and cold, actually, by choice, b/c it means a clear bike
path of peds and dawgs. g

I can see speed and metrics coming as well as graduating to clipless Looks
and other things - maybe not even a year or two down the road.

The 50miler was extremely easy as I mentioned - of course I had skipped the
previous day's pm ride, but got in the am ride, so my body was saying: "hey
we had a break!". I had been doing two-a-days for three months and some
cases three-a-days, even if 10-15 miles, it was day in and day out, and
total daily was 20 or 22 miles.

Brevets? Hell I dream of Adventure Racing. I've got the Eco challenges and
I play them over and over... Brevets would be something on the way to that,
but I'm put together in that mode of strange biking at night and staying up
all night riding and running and stuff - just gotta convert the body to
light and fast from my current beefy model. ;-p

Funny story - I was kidding my brother about somehow simulating an
Eco-challenge by riding some long distance in Va Beach and then getting up
in Canoes or in Triathlon wetsuits and finding some hookup route to swim
like in the bay, or something. He was 'man the place in the Bay you
mentioned is so bad that when we were in it in the canoe fishing, I was
dreading the canoe capsizing - I certainly would not want to swim in that -
muck and bugs and evil stuff!' A few years ago, I came in to Va Beach from
out of town and parked at this place that had a lake and put on my fins and
went in for a cooling swim. Suddenly this etheric and electronic voice
called out from somewhere "Sir, you must get out of the water immediately -
swimming is NOT allowed".

Turns out I had accidently found "Mount Trashmore" and pond next to it.
Garbage makes up the "Mount" and there's seepage from the trash (possible,
not a real health risk for a short plunge). I got out and looked around and
across the 'pond' there was a control tower - explaining the voice over
their loudspeaker - and like 'OK, my bad' and got in the car. My bro about
split a gut when I innocently told him.

-Badger

Old May 24th 04, 12:42 AM
Joel Solomon

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
-Mark Twain.

Joel Solomon