Bike Sizes

Old May 25th 04, 11:06 PM
Daniel Crispin

Default Bike Sizes

Some of the new frames have top bars that go lower instead of being parallel
to the ground. I would simply draw an imaginary
line and take mesures from there. This is a rule of thumb so you can do
what you feel best with it Either use a bigger frame
since you now have more clearance, you take the smaller one. Bike selection
is also a personnal thing As long as you have
those 2 inches I would say you are ok... less and you might not be happy
next time you fall ... some parts of you might give
you a painfull reminder of this rule of thumb too

"Jim Gosse" wrote in message
What if we are talking about a compact frame? I have a size 55 Specialized
Allez. I have more than 2" from the cross bar to my crotch, but I am

pretty
sure the bike fits me.

By the way James, don't get mixed up in comfortable, and familiar. You may
be more used to the feel of a smaller bike, but it may prevent you from
getting the most out of your effort.

Jim

"Daniel Crispin" wrote in message
.. .
Hello James,

when you have both feet on the ground, there should be a 2 inch

clearance
between the top bar of the frame and yourself. Less is dangerous, more

will
make adjusting the rest more complicated. In essence the bigger the

bike,
faster you can go with the same effort. Think of those BMX bikes, even

with
great effort they can't go that fast.

"James Lynx" wrote in message
om...
I recently tried some bikes. A 19 inch frame is my proper size but
when I try a 16 inch frame it doesn't feel really small to me but the
bike shop owner and my girlfriend say that a 16 inch frame looks small
for my height. That may seem true but I felt more comfortable on a 16
than 19 inch frame. It could be because I used to ride BMX and those
are tiny. Sure I'm 6 foot tall and can not ride BMX anymore but the
16 inch bike is between the BMX size and 19 inch frame, but closer to
the 19 inch. I just feel that I get more monuverability and feel
more comfortable on a 16t inch. I like bikes that are a bit smaller
than what normally I should be useing.

Do you guys ride bikes that are the perfect fit for your height or do
you guys ride bikes that are smaller and why?

Thanks,

James

Old May 26th 04, 12:57 AM
S o r n i

Daniel Crispin wrote:
Well, that is true, the 2 inches rule can be adapted depending what
you do on the bike too.

Family newsgroup, buddy.

Bill "he's a top-poster; he deserved it" S.

Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 02:00 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Bike sizes for 7 year old Dave K. General 1 September 9th 03 12:21 AM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM