Yet ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker

Old March 18th 09, 03:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Yet ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker

Evolution at work....

Mike

http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/so...1022-23132369/

Birkdale man, 40, dies of heart attack while mountain biking
Mar 13 2009 by Laura Jones, Southport Visiter

FAMILY and friends of Stephen Birkby, 40, who had a heart attack while
mountain biking said he died doing something he loved.

Stephen’s friend and colleague Peter Burke, said: “One of his friends
said to me if Stephen had to write his way out of this life it would
be on his bike, hill walking or sailing.

“He was fitter than all of us – it happened very quickly and he
wouldn’t have known anything about it.”

The 40-year-old was on a day out mountain biking with friends in Long
Mynd, Shropshire, on February 21 when he died.

Stephen, a former Our Lady of Lourdes and Christ the King pupil, was
an active sailor and biking enthusiast from Birkdale.

Parents Joanna and Michael, of Barrett Road, Birkdale, described their
son as “someone who loved life”.

Liz Akerstrom, his partner of nine years, met Stephen at Mason Owen,
where he worked as a partner of the property firm.

Liz said: “We spent more time together than the average couple, living
and working together but never tired of one another’s company and
never stopped laughing together, one of the things which drew us
together in the first place.

“He was funny, kind and loving, totally supportive and very
protective.

“I love him very much, miss him terribly and am lost without him.”

“Steve will also be missed greatly by my sons Sam and Tom to whom he
has been parent, inspiration and friend.

“The boys credit Steve with helping them to achieve as much as they
have so far and I am sure that his memory will continue to inspire
them in the future.”

Mrs Birkby said: “We’ve had so many lovely cards saying he was
friendly, principled, loved life and had a wonderful smile - it’s very
comforting to us.

“People liked Stephen and thought that he was a special person - he
had a real gift for friendship.

“He always wanted to live by the sea.

“He had been on sailing courses and often went out biking and sailing
with his brothers.”

Stephen leaves partner Liz, her two children, his parents Joanna and
Michael and brothers Andrew, Matthew and Nicholas.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande