Toil to the Toll (ride report)

Old May 27th 04, 05:00 AM
Tom Keats

Default Toil to the Toll (ride report)

In article 1mQsc.555461$Pk3.146090@pd7tw1no,
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" writes:

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message ...
Congratulations and thanks for posting. That 19.5 Km/H average speed

is impressive considering the terrain.
--

How about when you consider that we rode this year's
Liège-Bastogne-Liège at 40.8 km/h average speed!

Now compare your hills with the Côte de Stockeu or
Côte du Rosier and you will really appreciate the difference
between us and you guys.

Well, I'm just getting back from doing an avg of 19.4 km/h
from Main & 39th to the London Drugs at Victoria & 41st.
Round trip distance of a mere 6.92 Km. And I'm sweatin', and
my glasses are fogging up. But the beast I rode is so heavy,
I'm not sure if I rode it or it rode me. I'd have gone faster,
but the bad pavement gradually pounds my old-style binder-bolt
seatpost down, and it's a b*tch to get it set right again.

Anyhow, I brought shopping cargo back home with me :-p so
it was worth it. And that's the diff between us and you guyz
(no disrespect intended toward Benjamin; in fact, quite the
contrary.)

I skipped my exhuberant li'l jump at 37th & Inverness -- last
time, I caught too much air with too much off-balance weight
in the back, landed my back wheel on a stoopid roll-y little
bagwell rock, and lost it big time. We're getting too old
for some stuff. At least the ol' Norco and the cheap-o Araya
rims came through unscathed, and that's the main thing. The
cheap-o aluminum rack didn't fare so well, but I just replaced
it with another one I had kickin' around. And I've got more.

So anyhow, the point is: /you/ can dream big, but some of us can
survive little living nightmares. And get stuff or fulfillments
done in the process. 'Junk miles' are the ones with nothing to
show for them; not even pleasure. It's pretty hard to miss out
on pleasure when riding. Unless you're riding to the income tax
office to be audited, or something bad like that.

It's kinda too late in the day now, but tomorrow I think I'll ride
over to Kaplan's deli and see if I can get a half-done pickle.
Another short, easy hop, but it might well be rewarding. I could
really go more for a crunchy pickle than your Cote du Rhone or
whatever it is you're bragging about. OTOH, a Beaujolais might
hit the spot. Nah. Youthful exhuberance will be the death of me.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old May 27th 04, 05:14 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"Tom Keats" wrote in message

Well, I'm just getting back from doing an avg of 19.4 km/h

from Main & 39th to the London Drugs at Victoria & 41st.

Tom, that's no place for a bike to be!

What's wrong with training on the roads in the
Reggio Calabaria and Basilicata regions?

And post ride you can get a real espresso, instead of
that North American stuff you drink.

Old May 27th 04, 05:19 AM
Tom Keats

In article cWdtc.565890$Pk3.553237@pd7tw1no,
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" writes:

And post ride you can get a real espresso, instead of
that North American stuff you drink.

I thought we were talking about vin nouveau and suchlike?
Of which, they ship the good stuff here.

cheers,
Tom