Experienced Cyclist Killed in Colorado

Old May 23rd 04, 05:21 PM
Arthur Harris

Default Experienced Cyclist Killed in Colorado

Long-time cyclist Jeff Ferber was killed in a car/bike crash in Colorado on
May 21st. Accoding to police, the accident appeared to be caused by the
"inattentive driving" of the 17 year old female motorist.

http://tinyurl.com/3gzs2

http://tinyurl.com/2udvn

Art Harris

Old May 23rd 04, 08:52 PM
psycholist

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
et...
Long-time cyclist Jeff Ferber was killed in a car/bike crash in Colorado

on
May 21st. Accoding to police, the accident appeared to be caused by the
"inattentive driving" of the 17 year old female motorist.

http://tinyurl.com/3gzs2

http://tinyurl.com/2udvn

Art Harris

I got hit and nearly killed by one of those (17 year old inattentive driver)
about 18 months ago. It was no fun at all. She never apologized, never
called to inquire how I was doing during my hospitalization or rehab,
nothing. Nor did her parents. I don't think about it much now, but it sure
bugged me back then. I hate that people like this are allowed behind the
wheel and, as in the case of my accident, I hate that inexperienced
teenagers are allowed to compound their inexperience by being allowed to
talk on cell phones while driving. That's just pure stupidity.

Bob C.

Old May 23rd 04, 09:05 PM
DRS

"psycholist" wrote in message

[...]

I got hit and nearly killed by one of those (17 year old inattentive
driver) about 18 months ago. It was no fun at all. She never
apologized, never called to inquire how I was doing during my
hospitalization or rehab, nothing. Nor did her parents. I don't
think about it much now, but it sure bugged me back then. I hate
that people like this are allowed behind the wheel and, as in the
case of my accident, I hate that inexperienced teenagers are allowed
to compound their inexperience by being allowed to talk on cell
phones while driving. That's just pure stupidity.

You want stupidity? A women driver here who killed a cyclist when she was
composing a text message on her mobile phone got away with a suspended
sentence! Anyone else would have gone to prison and good riddance but she
didn't because she was young and pretty.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?from=storyrhs

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 23rd 04, 09:28 PM
Badger_South

On Mon, 24 May 2004 06:05:17 +1000, "DRS"
wrote:

You want stupidity? A women driver here who killed a cyclist when she was
composing a text message on her mobile phone got away with a suspended
sentence! Anyone else would have gone to prison and good riddance but she
didn't because she was young and pretty.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?from=storyrhs

What can bikers do about this kind of thing? Stiffer penalties may not
change behavior...

-B

Old May 23rd 04, 10:20 PM
psycholist

wrote:

You want stupidity? A women driver here who killed a cyclist when she

was
composing a text message on her mobile phone got away with a suspended
sentence! Anyone else would have gone to prison and good riddance but

she
didn't because she was young and pretty.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...ml?from=storyr

hs

What can bikers do about this kind of thing? Stiffer penalties may not
change behavior...

-B

Most states are getting pretty dramatic in their treatment of drunk drivers.
I've read that studies in Europe have shown drivers using cell phones are
three times more impaired than the average drunk driver (that's my summary
statement of what I've heard exists in the research out there ... don't hold
me to it). Many European countries have outlawed cell phone use while
driving. I think people driving while talking on cell phones should be
treated the same as drunk drivers.

I suspect that there will be some cases in the courts before too much longer
where drivers and cell phone companies will be held liable and where studies
such as these will be used to get some large awards from juries. Then the
laws will follow slowly.

Bob C.
P.S. I took this thread in another direction, but lets all have the family
of this poor victim in our thoughts and prayers.

Old May 23rd 04, 10:25 PM
David Reuteler

psycholist wrote:
I got hit and nearly killed by one of those (17 year old inattentive driver)
about 18 months ago. It was no fun at all. She never apologized, never
called to inquire how I was doing during my hospitalization or rehab,
nothing.

hey, me too (well, sorta, injury not near as bad). 16 1/2 in my case and
last fall. i got off pretty lucky (went over the back of her car at 22mph)
and escaped uninjured. she *KEPT* going, parked her car at the best buy
lot and was going in when a truck driver who saw the whole thing caught up
with her (gratifyingly, he was screaming at her).

here's the real kicker.

the accident snapped the rear q/r skewer so the bike wasn't rideable. she
said ..

"i'd like to give ya a ride, but i'm late for school."

whoa. she stuck to that and i walked 3 miles home (this was on the way to
work).

interestingly the 40-something lawyer who hit me (in my only other accident
12 years earlier) just handed me two $100 bills.
--
david reuteler

Old May 23rd 04, 10:35 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Many European countries have outlawed cell phone use while
driving.

It's been banned in the UK where you are holding the phone. To be legal, a
hands-free kit is required. Or, if no hands-free kit - vehicle should be
stopped with engine switched off. It's too largely ignored though :-(

See

**$om $

Old May 23rd 04, 10:47 PM
Arthur Harris

"psycholist" wrote:
I hate that inexperienced
teenagers are allowed to compound their inexperience by being allowed to
talk on cell phones while driving. That's just pure stupidity.

I agree completely. And that teenager can pass his/her road test in a Honda
Civic, and then get behind the wheel of a Hummer.

Even more incredible, dashboard TV screens are now available as an option on
some vehicles. At least one fatal accident has been caused by a driver who
was watching a movie while driving! We need laws to ban these kinds of
things, and they need to be enforced.

Art Harris

Old May 23rd 04, 11:11 PM
The Real Bev

David Reuteler wrote:

psycholist wrote:
I got hit and nearly killed by one of those (17 year old inattentive driver)
about 18 months ago. It was no fun at all. She never apologized, never
called to inquire how I was doing during my hospitalization or rehab,
nothing.

Did her insurance pay for your medical stuff and a new bike? Her
insurance company probably told them not to have any contact with you
for fear you'd sue them for something more. I wouldn't care about an
apology from somebody that stupid, but blood or money would be
acceptable if there was enough of it.

hey, me too (well, sorta, injury not near as bad). 16 1/2 in my case and
last fall. i got off pretty lucky (went over the back of her car at 22mph)
and escaped uninjured. she *KEPT* going, parked her car at the best buy
lot and was going in when a truck driver who saw the whole thing caught up
with her (gratifyingly, he was screaming at her).

here's the real kicker.

the accident snapped the rear q/r skewer so the bike wasn't rideable. she
said ..

"i'd like to give ya a ride, but i'm late for school."

whoa. she stuck to that and i walked 3 miles home (this was on the way to
work).

You mean you didn't turn her in to the cops for hit & run? Damn, you're
a saint.

interestingly the 40-something lawyer who hit me (in my only other accident
12 years earlier) just handed me two $100 bills.

And didn't make you sign something? HE was a saint!

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old May 24th 04, 02:00 AM
El Calaverada

I didn't know this guy and there's nothing I can do to help him now.
Nonetheless, a brother on wheels has fallen. Hopefully, his death will serve
to raise awareness in his community.

This pint is to him! After all, the best we can hope for when we leave here
is to be remembered. Here's to you, Jeff!
Peace -

Arthur Harris wrote in message
et...
Long-time cyclist Jeff Ferber was killed in a car/bike crash in Colorado

on
May 21st. Accoding to police, the accident appeared to be caused by the
"inattentive driving" of the 17 year old female motorist.

http://tinyurl.com/3gzs2

http://tinyurl.com/2udvn

Art Harris

Update 4/14: One Cyclist Killed, Another Injured xkred27 General 1 April 15th 04 05:20 PM
One Cyclist Killed; Another Seriously Injured xkred27 General 42 April 15th 04 10:20 AM
Young cyclist killed Brian General 208 February 12th 04 12:09 AM
Another cyclist killed - Athens, GA psycholist General 3 January 22nd 04 06:17 PM
Wisconsin Cyclist killed in rear-end collision Zippy the Pinhead General 81 October 11th 03 12:41 PM