Somone had to do it...

Old July 22nd 09, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Reed

Default Somone had to do it...

"Pip Ryder" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm?ls

Can I be the first to ofer my sympathy to the 259 speeding cagers who have
been tragically deprived of their fenders on this sad and tragic day!

Will you be offering sympathy to the 10 people, possibly through no real
fault of their own, that have life threatening injuries?

Old July 22nd 09, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Colin Reed wrote:

"Matt B" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm?ls
Can I be the first to ofer my sympathy to the 259 speeding cagers who
have been tragically deprived of their fenders on this sad and tragic
day!

... Does the A2 at Hanover have a speed limit? It didn't the last
time I drove along it. Well, it did farther east, past
Helmstedt/Marienborn, but not in the bit which was in the Federal
Republic.

It doesn't really matter whether it has a speed limit or not. You have
to drive at a speed that is safe for the road and if it is busy and wet
then you need to think about whether 90, 100, 120 is safe.

True enough. However, the fact that there is/was/may be no actual limit
on the autobahn just there does have implications for use of the word
"speeding".

That depends on how you define 'speeding'.

Generally, in the UK, when talking about traffic and road safety,
"speeding" means breaking the speed limit. It is the offence that speed
cameras are designed to detect.

How generally? And how recently are you talking? I have been aware since
I've had a license of the two terms "excessive speeding" meaning breaking
the speed limit and "inappropriate speeding" meaning driving too fast for
the conditions. Both contain the word "speeding".

Yes, in those made-up versions, they do.

In the real world, and in the terms used by real people for real purposes,
the phrases are "excessive speed" (speeding) and "inappropriate speed"
(dangerous riding or driving).

Offhand, I don't recall ever seeing "excessive speeding" or "inappropriate
speeding", not even here. I might be wrong on that in absolute terms (maybe
you once used those phrases), but the preponderance is all the other way round.
Old July 22nd 09, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Colin Reed wrote:
"Matt B" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm?ls
Can I be the first to ofer my sympathy to the 259 speeding cagers who
have been tragically deprived of their fenders on this sad and tragic
day!
What - did they *all* have guitars in the boots of their cars?
BTW: Does the A2 at Hanover have a speed limit? It didn't the last
time I drove along it. Well, it did farther east, past
Helmstedt/Marienborn, but not in the bit which was in the Federal
Republic.
It doesn't really matter whether it has a speed limit or not. You have
to drive at a speed that is safe for the road and if it is busy and wet
then you need to think about whether 90, 100, 120 is safe.
True enough. However, the fact that there is/was/may be no actual limit
on the autobahn just there does have implications for use of the word
"speeding".
That depends on how you define 'speeding'.

Generally, in the UK, when talking about traffic and road safety,
"speeding" means breaking the speed limit. It is the offence that speed
cameras are designed to detect.

How generally?

Very; verging on the "always" - in the UK at least.

And how recently are you talking?

Present tense.

I have been aware since
I've had a license

For how long, and are you talking UK? Forgive me if it was an honest
mistake, but in the UK it is spelt "licence" - you used the U.S. spelling.

of the two terms "excessive speeding" meaning breaking
the speed limit

I've never heard it used to mean that - that is usually referred to as
simply "speeding". I have heard "excessive speeding" used to mean
breaking the speed limit by a lot - i.e. excessively!

and "inappropriate speeding" meaning driving too fast for
the conditions.

Not commonly in the UK though, here that is called "travelling too fast
for conditions".

Both contain the word "speeding".

Well, yes - they would - that is how you have constructed them.

--
Matt B
Old July 22nd 09, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Reed

"JNugent" wrote in message
Colin Reed wrote:

"Matt B" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:

[...]

http://www.yourdictionary.com/examples/speeding

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=k...esult&resnum=6

or http://tinyurl.com/lgmkll

Note that the same terms are in use in Australia

http://www.officeofroadsafety.wa.gov...topicsSpeeding

And I believe in Ireland
http://www.rte.ie/news/features/road...etyissues.html

Of course, this is all "internet world" and possibly not the "real world"
that you refer to. Perhaps they are merely "made up versions" when they're
really "not the versions used by JNugent".

HTH

Colin

Old July 22nd 09, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Reed

"Matt B" wrote in message
Colin Reed wrote:
"Matt B" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:
[...]

Actually I used the verb rather than the noun. I frequently get those the
wrong way around. Yes, I am talking UK, and for the past 17 years.

of the two terms "excessive speeding" meaning breaking the speed limit

I've never heard it used to mean that - that is usually referred to as
simply "speeding". I have heard "excessive speeding" used to mean
breaking the speed limit by a lot - i.e. excessively!

See my response to JNugent with various examples (and not hard to find) of
the exact phrases being used and defined.

and "inappropriate speeding" meaning driving too fast for the conditions.

Not commonly in the UK though, here that is called "travelling too fast
for conditions".

Both contain the word "speeding".

Well, yes - they would - that is how you have constructed them.

Not me - well of course I did in putting together the post, but was merely
using the phrases as they are constructed - again see my other response to
JNugent with examples.

--
Matt B

Colin

Old July 22nd 09, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Colin Reed wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:
Colin Reed wrote:
"Matt B" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:

[...]

I think you had a similar response from another poster. That's because your
phrases are simply not in general use (and especially not in the UK) - even
if you (as you claim) use them in everyday discourse.

It'd be less unimpressive of you could cite prior common use of those terms
here in this newsgroup (or in another UK transport NG).

As it happens, Google shows these returns for archived ukrc:

"excessive speed" - 515 results
"excessive speeding" - 10 results (three of them in this thread)

"inappropriate speed" - 338 results
"inappropriate speeding" - 3 results (*all* in this thread and all consequent
on your use of it).

If you think that this means that your clearly contrived phrases are in
common use, I doubt I can shake you on that.
Old July 22nd 09, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Colin Reed wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
Colin Reed wrote:

"Matt B" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:
[...]

They may show examples of the phrases (I deliberately cut the foreign
ones), but do not demonstrate them to be in common use as you described
them in the UK.

A quick Google of the phrases' usage on the BBC website gives:

"excessive speed": 337

"excessive speeding": 100 - This includes its use, as I said before,
when referring to breaking the speed limit (speeding) by a lot, and
embedded in sentences such as "...in response to excessive speeding
concerns..."

"inappropriate speed": 209

"inappropriate speeding": 3

Conclusive, I think.

--
Matt B
Old July 22nd 09, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Reed

"JNugent" wrote in message
Colin Reed wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:
Colin Reed wrote:
"Matt B" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:

[...]

I never claimed "common use" - I certainly didn't suggest that they were the
most commonly used terms. My original post says (it's still up there ^^) "I
have been aware since I've had a license (sic) of the two terms 'excessive
speeding' meaning breaking the speed limit and 'inappropriate speeding'
meaning driving too fast for the conditions." You mentioned that you
weren't aware of the terms and implied that I had made them up - I provided
a few references from a quick Google search, as much to satisfy myself that
I wasn't imagining things in being "aware" of them.
This is a peculiarly "usenet" phenomenon of wanting me to have said
something that I didn't, and making an issue of a side trivial item; whether
or not someone is "allowed" to use the term "speeding motorists" for someone
driving too fast for the conditions, even when there is no posted speed
limit. It's a fairly daft, and disingenuous route to claim that it is
inaccurate to use such a description if it doesn't fit the "most commonly
used definition". If you insist that all words or terms are limited to only
meaning their most common usage then I think you would be limiting your
entire literature collection to the works of Dan Brown, and that would be
very sad.
Incidentally, you didn't seem that interested that I thought the OP was
inappropriate and a little poor taste - but a little bit of semantic
pedantry a la "RLJers can and do cause deaths" is far more interesting than
the actual discussion at hand, eh?

Colin

Old July 22nd 09, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Reed

"Matt B" wrote in message
Colin Reed wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
Colin Reed wrote:

"Matt B" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:
[...]

I refer you to the answer I've just given to JNugent, since I can't be arsed
to type the same reply to the same miscomprehension of what I wrote. Just
think about where I described "common use" - if you can find it. It may take
you some time.

Colin

Old July 23rd 09, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ace[_3_]

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:20:43 +0100, "Colin Reed"
wrote:

Not me - well of course I did in putting together the post, but was merely
using the phrases as they are constructed - again see my other response to
JNugent with examples.

Here's nother expression you might do well to take on board - when
you're in a deepening hole, stop digging.