A Cyclist Knob with a Camera

Old May 20th 10, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
[email protected][_2_]

Default A Cyclist Knob with a Camera

On 20 May, 16:19, "GT" wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
.. .
"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message
. ..
"GT" considered Thu, 20 May 2010 10:17:00 +0100 the perfect
time to write:

"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message
m...
"GT" considered Wed, 19 May 2010 19:29:30 +0100 the perfect
time to write:

"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message
news:8368v5luol0u8bl3enkl9md0e9732scktk@4ax. com...
"GT" considered Wed, 19 May 2010 13:46:17 +0100 the perfect
time to write:

"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message
news:mif5v594s09hk56kmfpjo0t06vmns0s6vf@4a x.com...
ChelseaTractorMan considered Tue, 18
May
2010 09:58:49 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On Mon, 17 May 2010 18:31:07 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

The man is a well known knob. *He has posted dozens of films on
youtube
show how hard done by he is. *Bit like Doug, but with a camera.

anyone who doesn't leave enough time for his journey to work
on time and gets the sack is a fool and deserves the sack.

IFTFY

Exactly - so leave in plenty of time and use a bicycle!

And where do you propose that I put my two children and my laptop bag on
the
school run, then subsequent motorway route to my work??

Get a triplet and fit panniers.

Brilliant. They are allowed on motorways, right? And I could cover 37
miles in about 40 minutes on one, right? If the answer to either of those
questions is no, then its no use. I have to drive on a motorway to get to
work - its a bridge and the alternative is to drive round, which adds
about 100miles to the trip. As far as timing goes, I have to drop 1 son
at school, then the other son at his playgroup, then arrive at work 37
miles away on time. My work is in a different district and to travel by
bus or train would cost a fortune and take several hours.

It's all in the planning, and there's been bugger all of that for many
years. If there had been any planning we wouldn't be in a position where
people's homes jobs and schools are so spread out. However, far to many
individuals also fail to take responsibility for their situations by
relying on the fact that they have a car, which causes planning
departments in all sorts of organisations to fail to plan.

I fail to see how you can comment on my family situation and our ability to
plan - that is just personal and rude. You cannot expect to be taken
seriously with comments like that!

Nothing was mentioned about your *ability* to plan.

Neither the planning departments nor anyone else had any knowledge or
control over the house we chose to buy or the location of my job. That was
our decision - made safe in the knowledge that I am able to get between the
two. How I do so is my business and nothing to do with you or anyone else in
here.

Nothing written above contradicts anything you've written.

The only problem I can see here is people coming along and telling me that I
am irresponsible for taking a job that I can't cycle to and that I should
ditch my comfortable, heated family car in favour of an uncomfortable,
impractical three wheeled toy which I would have to pedal along 72 miles of
occasionally snowy, usually rainy motorway to get to and from work each day.
If I took this advice, I would arrive at work about 2-3 hours late every
day, sometimes soaked, sometimes frozen and would be sacked within days. If
this is your idea of good planning, then I think I'll stick to planning my
own life thanks all the same!

Of course cycling 72 miles along a motorway would not be good planning
- nobody has suggested it is.

Grow up!

You've taken a very general paragraph very personally. Why is that?

Colin
Old May 20th 10, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Brimstone

"GT" wrote in message
"Brimstone" wrote in message
"GT" wrote in message
"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message
"GT" considered Thu, 20 May 2010 10:17:00 +0100 the perfect
time to write:

om...

wrote:

[...]

I very deliberately made no mention you or your family?

Neither the planning departments nor anyone else had any knowledge or
control over the house we chose to buy or the location of my job.

I didn't say they did.

Old May 20th 10, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
GT

wrote in message
On 20 May, 16:19, "GT" wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message

.. .

wrote:

[...]

thread from Phil W Lee and Brimstone.

[...]

Because it wasn't general, but a direct reply to my statement, therefore
directed specifically at me.

By the way - you need to fix your indent characted. This thread is just
about unreadable now due to your post having space in the indent character.

Old May 20th 10, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
GT

"Brimstone" wrote in message
"GT" wrote in message

news:kco8v5ds88bmspmee3anj7ie8em7tvmuls@4ax. com...

wrote:

[...]

It came over that way - "many individuals also fail to take responsibility
for their situations by relying on the fact that they have a car". I took
this me mean that I was one of those individuals and that there was some
kind of problem in relying on my car to get to and from work. Combine that
with the rest of the post and it sounded like I was being told off for
planning our house move and my job location badly!

Old May 20th 10, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Brimstone

"GT" wrote in message
"Brimstone" wrote in message
"GT" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Why did you take it personally?

and that there was some kind of problem in relying on my car to get to and
from work. Combine that with the rest of the post and it sounded like I
was being told off for planning our house move and my job location badly!

If you and your situation had been mentioned directly then you might have a
point. At the moment it sounds more like that you have a guilty conscience
and are being defensive.

Old May 20th 10, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Then..... you just *shouldn't*.... *OK*?

:-)

I nsuppose you could ask Doug for a considered report on your available
options for a non-car lifestyle for your family.
Old May 20th 10, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_5_]

GT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm afraid you will encounter plenty of people hereabouts who imagine that
they know better than you how your family life should be conducted.

Brimstone will be nowhere near the most arrogant of them.

Hang around a bit...
Old May 20th 10, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_5_]

GT wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
"GT" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

You mean you didn't take the obvious and elementary precaution of
commissioning a militant cyclist to produce a report detailing your
residential, educational, work, lifestyle and travel options before moving house?

Words fail me.
Old May 20th 10, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Colin Reed

GT wrote:
wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

No it wasn't - it was a general statement that happened to address some
points that you can see in your own situation. Quite specifically
Brimstone made no direct comment about your family and your planning.
Phil W Lee may have been more direct/tongue-in-cheek/barking, but then
you didn't have your sudden defensive hissy in reply to his post.

By the way - you need to fix your indent characted. This thread is just
about unreadable now due to your post having space in the indent character.

Can't do much about Google groups and that's what I'm limited to at
work. However, just had a go at reply editing the very same post using
Thunderbird and it's absolutely fine. Maybe you should plan to have a
better newsreader - and yes, tongue-in-cheek that *was* directed at you. :-)

Colin

PS Just noticed that this is one of those cross-posted threads. I can't
imagine who would have started that rolls eyes. I'm happy to limit
any further posts on this thread to just one group, but don't know which
one you're reading.

--
Murphy's Law – If anything can go wrong, it will.
Parkinson's Law – Work expands so as to fill the time available for its