To whomever said sweat doesn't stink

Old August 10th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MikeWhy

Default To whomever said sweat doesn't stink

--
τΏτ
~

Old August 13th 10, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

place polyester or whatever smells in bucket of dish detergent-one
light squirt Palmolive per 1.5 gallons sof****er and warm water. Mix.
Add 1 pint isopropyl alcohol. mix. allow to stand 30 minutes. then use
washing machine with other clothing. Adding .5 squirt Palmolive.
The bucket contents are squeezed dry here but ? yhwoing it all in has
merit.
Old August 13th 10, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Aug 12, 11:37*pm, kolldata wrote:
place polyester or whatever smells in bucket of dish detergent-one
light squirt Palmolive per 1.5 gallons sof****er and warm water. Mix.
Add 1 pint isopropyl alcohol. mix. allow to stand 30 minutes. then use
washing machine with other clothing. Adding .5 squirt Palmolive.
The bucket contents are squeezed dry here but ? yhwoing it all in has
merit.

what the hell ????? won't the alcohol melt the plastic ? I used to
liberally use isopropyl to clean my glasses and found my bike shorts
had these see-thru splotches- I surmised it was the alcohol and
stopped using that and have not had a recurrence of those splotches.

After a ride I just walk into the shower with a bucket, take my bike
stuff off in there and use pert shampoo to clean my stuff which I hang
to dry afterwards- the shampoo is suds-ey but gentle on the fabric-
the only thing is it doesn't work on oily road grime following a rain
ride. I don't like trusting a machine to wash my jerseys; they have a
lot of memorable rides locked in them and I'd hate for them to get
torn in a machine (I still have my 1st anodize-purple coolmax top from
the early 90's- though I usually wear it under a jacket or vest
nowadays because that colour and style is out of place)
Old August 13th 10, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

no iso on lenses. and maybe no iso soap on lenses ie. no
antibacterial.
mix the solution before adding clothes if paranoid. iso is very
"gentill" nyl rinse lenses in water streamj then use very dilute no
iso palmolive, rinse with faucet water then rinse that with distilled.
try Bosch and Loam sight savers wiping droplets off.
on jerseys damaged by iso are prob badly done first off. the dye
process and fabric are tougher than iso umnless there's something
wrong with the fabric.
I have a bag of poly for 'outside' activity and try using the roller
drum washers with DISH SOAP diluted with water: 1 to 1.5 squirts to 1
gallon plus dash of iso. shake it the soap settles.
Tide destroys clothing not the wringer.
Old August 13th 10, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 13 Aug, 05:14, raamman wrote:
On Aug 12, 11:37*pm, kolldata wrote:

place polyester or whatever smells in bucket of dish detergent-one
light squirt Palmolive per 1.5 gallons sof****er and warm water. Mix.
Add 1 pint isopropyl alcohol. mix. allow to stand 30 minutes. then use
washing machine with other clothing. Adding .5 squirt Palmolive.
The bucket contents are squeezed dry here but ? yhwoing it all in has
merit.

what the hell ????? won't the alcohol melt the plastic ? I used to
liberally use isopropyl to clean my glasses and found my bike shorts
had these see-thru splotches- I surmised it was the alcohol and
stopped using that and have not had a recurrence of those splotches.

Isopropyl dissolves rubbers. Lycra shorts contain erm whatdjacallit?

Old August 13th 10, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

lycra is rubber ?

Old August 13th 10, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 13 Aug, 05:34, kolldata wrote:
lycra is rubber ?

I suppose so, even if its not normally classed as such because it is
specifically a yarn and its elastic properties are controlled so as to
make it suitable for clothing. It uses (synthetic) long chain
polymers, which if it was not deemed a yarn or cloth would be called
rubber.
Old August 13th 10, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

lemme see here...uh polyester and lycra feel rubbery when wet, lycra
more so. Lycra absorbs water where polyester tends to not absorb
water. I haven't used iso 70 percent, 1 pint/gallon on lycra. The
lycra hasn't acquired a bacterial colony. I don't know what polyester
and lycra bacteria host potentials are ? Dohna own no expensive
jerseys only poly and poly 90/cotton 10.
The problem I came up with was acrylic/cottton super gym/hot weather
hiking socks hosting bacteria smelling like cat sex marking urine.

Old August 13th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Aug 13, 12:28*am, kolldata wrote:
no iso on lenses. and maybe no iso soap on lenses ie. no
antibacterial.

yeah- you made me realize iso crazes acryllic/plexiglas that could be
dangerous to use for some
I've been using dishwashing liquid to clean my lenses then rinse off
with hot water and shake the drops off

mix the solution before adding clothes if paranoid. iso is very
"gentill" *nyl rinse lenses in water streamj then use very dilute no
iso palmolive, rinse with faucet water then rinse that with distilled.
try Bosch and Loam sight savers wiping droplets off.
on jerseys damaged by iso are prob badly done first off. the dye
process and fabric are tougher than iso umnless there's something
wrong with the fabric.
I have a bag of poly for 'outside' activity and try using the roller
drum washers with DISH SOAP diluted with water: 1 to 1.5 squirts to 1
gallon plus dash of iso. shake it the soap settles.
Tide destroys clothing not the wringer.

you seem fairly knowledgable about chemistry
Old August 14th 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Colin Reed

thirty-six wrote:
On 13 Aug, 05:34, kolldata wrote:
lycra is rubber ?

I suppose so, even if its not normally classed as such because it is
specifically a yarn and its elastic properties are controlled so as to
make it suitable for clothing. It uses (synthetic) long chain
polymers, which if it was not deemed a yarn or cloth would be called
rubber.

Lycra is not even close to being rubber. Rubber (natural) is a
predominantly non-polar polymer with some polar groups to aid in
cross-linking (vulcanisation) - cis-polyisoprene. Synthetic rubber is
similar in that it is polybutadiene, with some styrene blocks to add
required polar regions. Lycra is a urethane-urea copolymer- far more
polar and chemically very dissimilar to rubber. Propan-2-ol (isopropyl
alcohol) will not dissolve a urethane-urea copolymer.

Colin

--
Murphy's Law – If anything can go wrong, it will.
Parkinson's Law – Work expands so as to fill the time available for its

Ping: whomever produced the cycling for children leaflet Tim Hall UK 8 September 17th 08 07:51 AM
Belated reply to Whomever Davey Crockett Racing 3 February 4th 06 09:27 PM
Yarra Blvd Stink Richard Sherratt Australia 6 February 13th 05 07:31 AM
I stink... Carla A-G Mountain Biking 4 October 24th 03 04:42 PM
Possible long commute - how not to stink? Chris Bardell UK 11 August 10th 03 02:47 PM