Somone had to do it...

Old July 21st 09, 02:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pip Ryder

Default Somone had to do it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm?ls

Can I be the first to ofer my sympathy to the 259 speeding cagers who
have been tragically deprived of their fenders on this sad and tragic day!
Old July 21st 09, 04:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 02:28:10 +0100
Pip Ryder wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm?ls

Can I be the first to ofer my sympathy to the 259 speeding cagers who
have been tragically deprived of their fenders on this sad and tragic
day!

Just because some of them were driving like ****s doesn't mean they all
were.

Old July 21st 09, 06:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Pip Ryder wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm?ls

Can I be the first to ofer my sympathy to the 259 speeding cagers who
have been tragically deprived of their fenders on this sad and tragic day!

What - did they *all* have guitars in the boots of their cars?

BTW: Does the A2 at Hanover have a speed limit? It didn't the last time I
drove along it. Well, it did farther east, past Helmstedt/Marienborn, but not
in the bit which was in the Federal Republic.
Old July 21st 09, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Pip Ryder wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm?ls

Can I be the first to ofer my sympathy to the 259 speeding cagers who
have been tragically deprived of their fenders on this sad and tragic
day!

Just because some of them were driving like ****s doesn't mean they all
were.

It's examples like this that show that they often drive too close to the car
in front and do not allow extra space for adverse weather conditions.

Old July 21st 09, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave

"JNugent" wrote in message
Pip Ryder wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm?ls

Can I be the first to ofer my sympathy to the 259 speeding cagers who
have been tragically deprived of their fenders on this sad and tragic
day!

What - did they *all* have guitars in the boots of their cars?

BTW: Does the A2 at Hanover have a speed limit? It didn't the last time I
drove along it. Well, it did farther east, past Helmstedt/Marienborn, but
not in the bit which was in the Federal Republic.

It doesn't really matter whether it has a speed limit or not. You have to
drive at a speed that is safe for the road and if it is busy and wet then
you need to think about whether 90, 100, 120 is safe.

There are plenty of country roads that are only one vehicle wide that have
60mph limits but drive at that speed at your choice.

Dave

Old July 21st 09, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

JNugent writes:

BTW: Does the A2 at Hanover have a speed limit? It didn't the last
time I drove along it. Well, it did farther east, past
Helmstedt/Marienborn, but not in the bit which was in the Federal
Republic.

I assume it must have now, because as we are so often told, drivers will
naturally choose a safe speed for the conditions in the absence of
posted limits but are unable to perform the same calculation in their
presence.

-dan
Old July 21st 09, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Dave wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm?ls

Can I be the first to ofer my sympathy to the 259 speeding cagers who
have been tragically deprived of their fenders on this sad and tragic
day!

What - did they *all* have guitars in the boots of their cars?

BTW: Does the A2 at Hanover have a speed limit? It didn't the last time I
drove along it. Well, it did farther east, past Helmstedt/Marienborn, but
not in the bit which was in the Federal Republic.

It doesn't really matter whether it has a speed limit or not. You have to
drive at a speed that is safe for the road and if it is busy and wet then
you need to think about whether 90, 100, 120 is safe.

True enough. However, the fact that there is/was/may be no actual limit on
the autobahn just there does have implications for use of the word "speeding".
Old July 21st 09, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

JNugent wrote:
Dave wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:

[...]

Why? was speeding the reported reason for the crash?

Bod
Old July 21st 09, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Bod wrote:

JNugent wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JNugent" wrote:
Pip Ryder wrote:

[...]

See above (contributed, AFAICS, by the OP).

He also seems to claim that every driver involved in the incident had an
electric guitar (or, on reflection, perhaps a boat-mooring cushioning device)
in their car.
Old July 21st 09, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

JNugent wrote:
Bod wrote:

JNugent wrote:

[...]