Right of way.

Old September 7th 09, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
NM

Default Right of way.

This morning I was pootling along the service road from the
supermarket car park to the T junction where it joined the main road,
I was on my motorcycle. As I approached the junction there was no
traffic in either direction so I proceeded to turn left, as I did a
cyclist who was riding quite quickly along the pavement started
yelling at me to get out of his way, I ignored him because I assumed
that his right of way did not exist, had he been on the road I should
have correctly given way to him.
Was I correct or is pavement traffic to be considered when joining at
a junction?
Old September 7th 09, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Peter Clinch

NM wrote:
This morning I was pootling along the service road from the
supermarket car park to the T junction where it joined the main road,
I was on my motorcycle. As I approached the junction there was no
traffic in either direction so I proceeded to turn left, as I did a
cyclist who was riding quite quickly along the pavement started
yelling at me to get out of his way, I ignored him because I assumed
that his right of way did not exist, had he been on the road I should
have correctly given way to him.
Was I correct or is pavement traffic to be considered when joining at
a junction?

Do you have to stop for pedestrians waiting to cross the road at a
junction if there isn't a light-controlled crossing there? I don't
think so, and they're actually /allowed/ on the pavement to start with!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 7th 09, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
bugbear

NM wrote:
This morning I was pootling along the service road from the
supermarket car park to the T junction where it joined the main road,
I was on my motorcycle. As I approached the junction there was no
traffic in either direction so I proceeded to turn left, as I did a
cyclist who was riding quite quickly along the pavement started
yelling at me to get out of his way, I ignored him because I assumed
that his right of way did not exist, had he been on the road I should
have correctly given way to him.
Was I correct or is pavement traffic to be considered when joining at
a junction?

Is there a cycle-path marked on the pavement?

Or is it "just" a pavement?

BugBear
Old September 7th 09, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
POHB

On 7 Sep, 13:44, NM wrote:
This morning I was pootling along the service road from the
supermarket car park to the T junction where it joined the main road,
I was on my motorcycle. As I approached the junction *there was no
traffic in either direction so I proceeded to turn left, as I did a
cyclist who was riding quite quickly along the pavement started
yelling at me to get out of his way

You were on the road, he was on the pavement, how were you in his
way? Which direction was he coming from and where was he trying to
go? Are there any markings indicating a cycle path on the pavement
that continues across the junction and onto the opposite pavement?
Old September 7th 09, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
francis

On 7 Sep, 13:44, NM wrote:
This morning I was pootling along the service road from the
supermarket car park to the T junction where it joined the main road,
I was on my motorcycle. As I approached the junction *there was no
traffic in either direction so I proceeded to turn left, as I did a
cyclist who was riding quite quickly along the pavement started
yelling at me to get out of his way, I ignored him because I assumed
that his right of way did not exist, had he been on the road I should
have correctly given way to him.
Was I correct or is pavement traffic to be considered when joining at
a junction?

You should give way to pedestrians crossing the side road when you
turn left.
1/ He was not a pedestrian
2/ He was not on the side road
3/ Even if the pavement was shared use he should stop when he reached
a road
4/ You had right of way
5/ He sounds like an idiot who should thank you for observing your
suroundings.

Francis
Old September 7th 09, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
NM

On 7 Sep, 14:11, bugbear wrote:
NM wrote:
This morning I was pootling along the service road from the
supermarket car park to the T junction where it joined the main road,
I was on my motorcycle. As I approached the junction *there was no
traffic in either direction so I proceeded to turn left, as I did a
cyclist who was riding quite quickly along the pavement started
yelling at me to get out of his way, I ignored him because I assumed
that his right of way did not exist, had he been on the road I should
have correctly given way to him.
Was I correct or is pavement traffic to be considered when joining at
a junction?

Is there a cycle-path marked on the pavement?

Or is it "just" a pavement?

* BugBear

No, just a normal pavement meant for pedesrtrians.
Old September 7th 09, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
oldMaxim

On Sep 7, 2:06*pm, NM wrote:
On 7 Sep, 14:11, bugbear wrote:

NM wrote:
This morning I was pootling along the service road from the
supermarket car park to the T junction where it joined the main road,
I was on my motorcycle. As I approached the junction *there was no
traffic in either direction so I proceeded to turn left, as I did a
cyclist who was riding quite quickly along the pavement started
yelling at me to get out of his way, I ignored him because I assumed
that his right of way did not exist, had he been on the road I should
have correctly given way to him.
Was I correct or is pavement traffic to be considered when joining at
a junction?

Is there a cycle-path marked on the pavement?

Or is it "just" a pavement?

* BugBear

No, just a normal pavement meant for pedesrtrians.- Hide quoted text -

...maybe his brakes were buggered ;-)
Old September 7th 09, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Nick Finnigan

NM wrote:
This morning I was pootling along the service road from the
supermarket car park to the T junction where it joined the main road,
I was on my motorcycle. As I approached the junction there was no
traffic in either direction so I proceeded to turn left, as I did a
cyclist who was riding quite quickly along the pavement started
yelling at me to get out of his way, I ignored him because I assumed
that his right of way did not exist, had he been on the road I should
have correctly given way to him.
Was I correct or is pavement traffic to be considered when joining at
a junction?

Footway traffic would be considered to be traffic, but you don't have to
give way to pedal cycles even when they are on the carriageway, and you
only have to give way at the give way lines.
Old September 7th 09, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Jeremy Parker

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
NM wrote:
[...]

Well, if you are entering from a side road, which presumably is
equipped with "give way" signs, and which is what I think NM said he
was doing, you would have to give way to a bicycle on the
carriageway, just as you would to any other vehicle.

If there is a cycle track - which is really just one more carriageway
of the main highway - the situation gets less clear. Where I used to
live, just outside Washington DC, in Maryland, there was a rather
similar situation. A cycle track led across the side road leading
into our neighbourhood, and no signs for either track or road
indicated right of way where they crossed. After a bike/car
accident, I raised the point with the county department of transport.
They refused to put up signs for some time afterwards, because they
couldn't work out who, legally, ought to have right of way.

Maryland law, of course, is not that different, at least in concept,
from English law

There's a picture in the "facility of the month" web site, the always
hilarious website illustrating the stupidity of those who design
British bike facilities, of a pavement cycle track with a "cyclists
dismount " sign as the pavement cycle track passes the driveway to
every house. [There is, of course, no "cyclists remount" sign in
Britain, so presumably cyclists can remount as soon as they like]

Normally, riding on the pavement is illegal, and it's difficult to
imagine having the right of way when breaking the law

Jeremy Parker

Old September 7th 09, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
nightjar

"bugbear" wrote in message
o.uk...
NM wrote:
This morning I was pootling along the service road from the
supermarket car park to the T junction where it joined the main road,
I was on my motorcycle. As I approached the junction there was no
traffic in either direction so I proceeded to turn left, as I did a
cyclist who was riding quite quickly along the pavement started
yelling at me to get out of his way, I ignored him because I assumed
that his right of way did not exist, had he been on the road I should
have correctly given way to him.
Was I correct or is pavement traffic to be considered when joining at
a junction?

Is there a cycle-path marked on the pavement?

IME, if there were, it would have give way markings that give priority to
the road.

Colin Bignell