how hard does it get?

Old April 27th 04, 05:30 PM
country_style17

Default how hard does it get?

i have been riding for a while now and i can do lots of stuff but the
thing that is getting me very frustrated would be riding backwards? how
do you do it?
thanks sean

--
country_style17 - holms homie o ya
country_style17's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6357

Old April 27th 04, 07:18 PM
daino149

country_style17 wrote:
*i have been riding for a while now and i can do lots of stuff but the
thing that is getting me very frustrated would be riding backwards?
how do you do it?
thanks sean *

It's a lot like riding forwards, just very awkward. Practice is the
key. It's very much like learning to ride all over again, and it will
take at least as much time (from my experience at least). The "lean
forward and pedal like hell" idea works in reverse when learning to ride
backward.

It's going to take time and the most important thing to remember to have
fun while you are doing it. That's what it's all about.

Warning: I was learning to ride backward when I got my first dose of
hard pedal to shin contact.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Old April 27th 04, 08:13 PM
Ken Cline

I'm just learning to ride backward, and can usually go three to seven
revolutions before falling. I have not been frustrated learning this
skill, but I put in a lot of time (and some frustration) learning to
idle before trying to go backwards. Someone here recommended the
super-idle (idling with an extra 1/2 revolution each direction) as a
good step towards backwards proficiency, and I've worked on that
enough to get bored, but not proficiennt. At this point going
backwards seems just as rewarding.

Oh yeah, there were a couple of people who had hard falls learning to
ride backward. I've been keeping my speed under control and haven't
had any trouble.

Good luck!

Ken

Old April 27th 04, 09:56 PM
chirokid

I had a weird problem when I was learning to ride backward. Once I
started backward, I COULD NOT STOP. Anyone else have this problem?

I finally learned to always practice riding backward toward a hill.
Therefore the hill would slow me down and I could then go forward.
Otherwise, I had to fall to stop any backward ride.

Sorry I don't have any good recommendations for you. Just keep on
practicing. It will come. --chirokid--

--
chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

"Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
quote by Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old April 28th 04, 12:45 AM
tennisgh22

hey-

backwards was the first trick i learned (after going forward). its
really quite simple; it just feels difficult cuz your legs feel akward
doing a motion that is new to them.

contrary to what might have been said in an earlier post, i believe that
trying to go backwards up a hill is near impossible for most beginners.
your pedals might get stuck in the 12 & 6 position, so you can't get any
leverage to keep going.

i didn't start out from holding onto an object like i did when learning
forward. Instead i just rode forward, did one or two idles, then started
going backwards. i think its too hard and maybe even bad practice to
push off from something stationary to get yourself moving.

dont go really slow, unless your going slightly downhill. otherwise you
want to maintain a normalm, comfortable speed.

can you idle? how well? maybe best to learn this first. i think i was at
a disadvantage for learning backwards before idling.

dont look over your shoulder; just find a straight road without cars to
practice on.

maybe learn on grass if you constantly fall backwards...one back fall on
the tail bone is REALLY painful and could discourage you from trying
again.

if any of this was unclear or doesn't seem to help, just ignore it.
these are all just ideas from personal experience. many ppl probably
disagree with some of the stuff i've said.

-grant

--
tennisgh22

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

Old April 28th 04, 01:04 AM
special_liz

I found I managed to learn through trial and error. I have a fairly long
hallway and i was sick of turning around at one end and just decided it
would be simplier if i could ride backwards!

I found hallways were a good place casue you could keep in a fairly
straight line and the walls were helpful too

--
special_liz - Speshial Member
special_liz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6254

Old April 28th 04, 01:26 AM
Max_Dingemans

I would definately have to suggest finding a wall to push off. That's
what worked best for me. Good luck.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

Old April 28th 04, 03:11 AM
RangerForrest

I must respectfully disagree with you Tennis; on almost every point. I
learned backwards the same time as idling. idling did come before
backwards but not by much.

It is definitely like learning all over again because what you are doing
is building up muscle memory that is different from what you have
already learned.

Keep at it. Backwards is a very practical skill. When I am trying
something more difficult and I mess up, I can often ride backwards out
of it rather than UPD.

I found that riding my unicycle to school backwards, while eating
breakfast, listening to music, and reading a book is fun. (Only if you
are durable, on an abandoned sidewalk with no unexpected obstacles, and
you don't fall off.

I had the same trouble with stopping and the same trouble with going too
fast.

When I was beginning to become somewhat proficient at backwards, I was
trying it in an empty parking lot at night when I became over confident
and went to fast. I lost control and did a complete backwards
summersault out of which I ended up on my feet. The hydration pack and
helmet made this an enjoyable experience and a cool trick rather than a
trip to the hospital. I have not tried to repeat it.

Commuting helped me to ride forwards better in general and it also
helped with backwards.

--
RangerForrest - Isolated Unicyclist
RangerForrest's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5539

Old April 28th 04, 05:50 AM
elmer

My vote goes for pushing off of something. I felt that I could get
control of things better to start.

One night, I got determined after much failure, and decided that I would
push off the wall 100 times per night until I could do it. My kids were
doing it, so I knew it could be done. To my surprise, after only about
20 tries I went about 20 ft. and felt myself make a course correction
while doing so. Then I KNEW it was doable, and within another 20 or 30
tries I had gone 100 ft. Soon thereafter I was able to change direction
without using a wall, and I've been improving ever since! More than
anything, like everything else having to do with unicycles, just keep
trying!

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"At 40 life begins...to show."
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

Old April 28th 04, 06:07 AM
James_Potter

However you learned to ride forwards, try those methods for riding
backwards. Using a wall or a fence worked beautifully for me.
Also, try going slightly uphill, then you can lean back further without
falling over.

--
James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

-If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
pizza, for it is, wicked."-
--Thedan