8 of 10 for Shimano 7 Cassette Upgrade to Campy

Old January 30th 05, 04:23 AM
bigsky

Default 8 of 10 for Shimano 7 Cassette Upgrade to Campy

I have read in this group that a 7sp cassette can be upgraded to 8 spd
using 8 of 9 cogs from current 9 spd Shimano cassettes. Is it also
possible to use 8 of 10 from a 10 spd cassette in the same manner? I
would like to go to Campagnolo and thought an American Classic cassette
might work in this manner. I have Ultegra geartrain (barcon shifters
set to friction) and I'm trying to convert over to Campy as I can afford
it. Any pointers appreciated.

bigsky

Old February 1st 05, 03:16 AM
Matt

Bump. I've wondered this EXACT thing. Sheldon, Peter, any comments?

Old February 1st 05, 02:12 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

I haven't tried to put some number of 10s cogs onto a 7s hyperglide freehub.
Since 8/9 and 10s can all be put on there, I'll assume you can like the 8 of 9
type thing but I think it would be easier to just swap the freehub body for an
8s one and use all 10 of the cogs.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old February 1st 05, 10:45 PM
meb

bigsky Wrote:
I have read in this group that a 7sp cassette can be upgraded to 8 spd
using 8 of 9 cogs from current 9 spd Shimano cassettes. Is it also
possible to use 8 of 10 from a 10 spd cassette in the same manner? I
would like to go to Campagnolo and thought an American Classic
cassette
might work in this manner. I have Ultegra geartrain (barcon shifters
set to friction) and I'm trying to convert over to Campy as I can
afford
it. Any pointers appreciated.

bigsky

8/10 will fit with extra play.
You MIGHT squeeze 9/10 since it is less than 1 mm larger than the 7/7.

--
meb