Pinyon Flats to Palm Springs ~VIDEO~

Old January 8th 05, 05:50 PM
Bill Porter

Default Pinyon Flats to Palm Springs ~VIDEO~

Howdy folks long time no post for me. Figure I would start the New
Year off with a fresh post here and a video

Here is a ride we did from Pinyon Flats up in the Santa Rosa Mountains
(~4000ft) of SOCAL down to Palm Springs (~500ft) 29 miles away. Most
of the ride was in Palm Canyon, which offered outstanding single
track. There was a rather frustrating 3 miles sandy climbing in the
middle but it minor compared to what we were rewarded with. There was
an awesome trail we hooked up with near the end of the ride called the
Hahn Buena Vista trail. The ride was around 3 miles of downhill
single track goodness were the most technical part of the ride was
trying to keep your eyes on the trail as the views were breath taking.

We did this ride as a point-to-point but I have heard of people making
a monster loop out of it. This ride really stresses self-sufficiency
as until the halfway point, the closest assistance is back the way you
came. All and all this was great way to bring in the New Year.

Anyway here is the link to the 52MB video that runs 8 1/2 minutes.
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/vide...onPalm-Web.mpg

You can also find the videos I did since the last time I posted here.
www.mountainbikebill.com/videos.htm

Bill
Old January 8th 05, 06:57 PM
Slacker

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:50:42 GMT, Bill Porter =

wrote:

Howdy folks long time no post for me. Figure I would start the New
Year off with a fresh post here and a video

Here is a ride we did from Pinyon Flats up in the Santa Rosa Mountains=

(~4000ft) of SOCAL down to Palm Springs (~500ft) 29 miles away. =

Anyway here is the link to the 52MB video that runs 8 1/2 minutes.
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/vide...onPalm-Web.mpg

Bill

Thanks, I needed that.

Really good resolution on that video. Did you change cameras or ?

-- =

Slacker
Old January 8th 05, 07:01 PM
Slacker

hahahaha... just saw the last 10 seconds. That is scary!

--
Slacker
Old January 8th 05, 07:55 PM
Bill Porter

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:57:39 -0800, Slacker
wrote:

Really good resolution on that video. Did you change cameras or ?

The biggest thing I have done in the last year or so was to step up
from the lipstick cam to the camcorder mounted in a helmet enclosure
method. I also have eased off of the video compression a little bit.
I have been very pleased with that setup.

-Bill
Old January 8th 05, 08:04 PM
Slacker

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 18:55:16 GMT, Bill Porter =

wrote:

Really good resolution on that video. Did you change cameras or ?

The biggest thing I have done in the last year or so was to step up
from the lipstick cam to the camcorder mounted in a helmet enclosure
method. I also have eased off of the video compression a little bit.=

I have been very pleased with that setup.

-Bill

Out of curiosity, what video cam did you go with. I'm looking a still =

cameras right now, but would like to eventually pick up a video cam.

-- =

Slacker
Old January 9th 05, 12:04 AM

Thats some long ride.

Old January 9th 05, 06:09 PM
Bill Porter

wrote:

Really good resolution on that video. Did you change cameras or ?

The biggest thing I have done in the last year or so was to step up
from the lipstick cam to the camcorder mounted in a helmet enclosure
method. I also have eased off of the video compression a little bit.
I have been very pleased with that setup.

-Bill

Out of curiosity, what video cam did you go with. I'm looking a still
cameras right now, but would like to eventually pick up a video cam.

I got a Sony DCR PC-9 but could have easily went with Canon ZR-45. I
just got the PC-9 for good price.

-Bill
Old January 10th 05, 07:13 PM
MattB

Bill Porter wrote:
[...]

Beautiful! That's looks like a blast. Nice camera work too. Do you take
the camera off for those shots that look hand held, or are you shooting
those from the helmet too?

I need a new (much smaller) cam!

Matt
Old January 11th 05, 02:44 PM
Bill Porter

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:13:57 -0700, MattB
wrote:

Beautiful! That's looks like a blast. Nice camera work too. Do you take
the camera off for those shots that look hand held, or are you shooting
those from the helmet too?

I take the camera out of the helmet enclosure here and there. It is
actually pretty easy with it being on you head instead buried in your
pack.

Bill