Bakfiets

Old March 13th 08, 11:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

Default Bakfiets

BT Humble wrote:

I'm a better welder than my dad, but not by much. Those rusty 1"
pipes came off a stock crate that he welded together 30 years ago, and
you should have seen some of *THOSE* joins!

Scariest welder is my uncle. Claimed that going to TAFE was a total
waste of time. Uh Uh. So now I ask "who welded this up" whenever I have
to climb up anything on the farm.

It was seeing a door hinge that just simply peeled off a metal frame
that made me wary. They had been heated up (stick) just enough to come
together, but not enough to fuse. Oh Oh. I have visions of trailers, etc
simply disintergrating.
Old March 13th 08, 01:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On Mar 13, 7:40 pm, BT Humble wrote:
Graeme Dods wrote:
On Mar 12, 7:03 pm,BTHumble wrote:

Gags wrote:
Nice piece of bodgy welding there.

That hurts, mate. I was doing my best with the equipment I had
available... *sob!*

Don't listen to that nasty Gags, I'd be perfectly happy with welds
like that. As Terry said, you can hide a lot with an angle grinder and
maybe a skoosh or two of spray primer.

I'm a better welder than my dad, but not by much. Those rusty 1"
pipes came off a stock crate that he welded together 30 years ago, and
you should have seen some of *THOSE* joins!

My dad's a pretty good welder, it was him who taught me, well, more
like "showed me" and then left me to my own devices after checking a
couple of trial welds. That technique usually works for me, but not
for welding it seems. He had a decent oxyacetylene welder and an arc
welder as big as a tea chest and decent equipment really makes things
easier. I borrowed a little $100 arc welder off a friend when my dad
was over last year. He tried to get some decent welds out of it after
seeing my bodgy job. His were about 100 times better but when he
finished he told me to buy a decent MIG set. I would love to, but if I
could afford one I could afford to pay for someone else to do my
welding jobs!

Graeme

Old March 14th 08, 12:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

Graeme Dods wrote:
He had a decent oxyacetylene welder

Drool, personally I think oxy is far more useful for bicycle bulding
than any other unless you are a very good welder, then tig. Only problem
atm is gas bottle rental. Not found a way around that yet.

Old March 14th 08, 12:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Graeme Dods wrote:
My dad's a pretty good welder, it was him who taught me, well, more
like "showed me" and then left me to my own devices after checking a
couple of trial welds. That technique usually works for me, but not
for welding it seems. He had a decent oxyacetylene welder and an arc
welder as big as a tea chest and decent equipment really makes things
easier. I borrowed a little $100 arc welder off a friend when my dad
was over last year. He tried to get some decent welds out of it after
seeing my bodgy job. His were about 100 times better but when he
finished he told me to buy a decent MIG set. I would love to, but if I
could afford one I could afford to pay for someone else to do my
welding jobs!

I've got a couple of CIG Easywelder stick welders, about 50kg of iron-
cored transformer. The second one cost me nothing, I picked it up on
hard rubbish day in Dandenong last year:

http://www.otherpower.com/images/sci...freewelder.jpg

It's good for about 140 amps, if I recall correctly. I never need to
go that high, as I only use 2mm/2.5mm rods.

BTH
Old March 14th 08, 01:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

BT Humble wrote:

It's good for about 140 amps, if I recall correctly. I never need to
go that high, as I only use 2mm/2.5mm rods.

Very robust. Our TAFE has a few of those.

The real question (for bicycle building) is how low does it go?
Unfortunately, my decent quality home welder will not turn down enough
to do 1.6(?)mm rods.
Old March 14th 08, 02:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Terryc wrote:
BTHumble wrote:
It's good for about 140 amps, if I recall correctly. I never need to
go that high, as I only use 2mm/2.5mm rods.

Very robust. Our TAFE has a few of those.

The real question (for bicycle building) is how low does it go?
Unfortunately, my decent quality home welder will not turn down enough
to do 1.6(?)mm rods.

The gauge on the front says it'll turn down to 40 amps, but I've never
had small enough rods on hand to try it out.

The 2mm rods were a bit of a challenge on the thin tubing, you might
have noticed that I arranged the parts so that at least 1 component of
each weld was a thick piece.

BTH
Old March 14th 08, 03:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

On Mar 14, 9:42 am, BT Humble wrote:
Graeme Dods wrote:
[...]

You lucky bugger. I must admit I hadn't thought of welders being
thrown out (it's sacrilege!) and I tend not to look to closely at
battered metal boxes. I will now though!

Graeme
Old March 14th 08, 04:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Terryc wrote:
BT Humble wrote:

It's good for about 140 amps, if I recall correctly. I never need to
go that high, as I only use 2mm/2.5mm rods.

Very robust. Our TAFE has a few of those.

I've had mine for 30 years.

Theo

Old March 14th 08, 06:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-03-14, Graeme Dods (aka Bruce)
Graeme Dods wrote:
[...]

A couple of enormous ones were thrown in a skip at Swinburne just
before I left. Two problems: too heavy to rescue without a car. And
the truck had already left with my belongings.

--
TimC
As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.
Old March 15th 08, 02:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

TimC wrote:
A couple of enormous ones were thrown in a skip at Swinburne just
before I left. Two problems: too heavy to rescue without a car. And
the truck had already left with my belongings.

You could at least have told someone else about them! ;-)

BTH