Rain Man

Old June 1st 08, 04:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BtC

Default Rain Man

Anyone have any good tips on wet weather gear for the winter?? I was
thinking about those industrial work gear supply places, they have some
interesting Hi Vis clothes (tops) which look like they would be more than
warm enough. I don't think it gets cold enough here in sunny (Ha! not
lately) Qld for waterproof pants, I guess.

However, does anyone have any testimonials on cycling dedicated cold wet
weather design gear?

Thanks again!

BtC

Old June 1st 08, 04:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

"BtC" wrote in news:nXy0k.6861$IK1.188@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

However, does anyone have any testimonials on cycling dedicated cold wet
weather design gear?

In general, don't go for all over waterproofs, even breathable ones unless
it is very, very cold! I went for this option a couple of times back in
Scotland (so proper cold combined with proper wet) and by the time I'd got
where I was going (only about 12km) I was wetter inside than I was outside
and just about collapsing from heat exhaustion. If I had keeled over in the
middle of the road I'd have been safe, the waterproofs were head to toe
fluoro.

In the end I went with a pair of quick drying Ron Hills (thin, close
fitting tracky bottoms) and a reasonable waterproof top. If my legs got
soaked I wasn't bothered as there was always a shower at either end of my
commute.

--
Graeme
Old June 1st 08, 09:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:08:03 GMT
BtC wrote:
Anyone have any good tips on wet weather gear for the winter?? I was
thinking about those industrial work gear supply places, they have some
interesting Hi Vis clothes (tops) which look like they would be more than
warm enough. I don't think it gets cold enough here in sunny (Ha! not
lately) Qld for waterproof pants, I guess.

Problem is that despite the advertising hype, no water in means no
water out - so you get sweaty.

If you can't change completely at the end of the ride, then wear
woolen longs (Torpedo 7 sells MacPAc stuff now and then which is
brilliant - warm even when wet and dries quickly) and carry a spare
set for the ride home in case they don't dry well enough.

Then you can wear a waterproof jacket to keep the top half dry.

I decided it wasn't worth it and just wear the MacPacs and a tradie's
long sleeved shirt. The shirt dries fairly fast as do the longs so I
just put 'em back on when the time comes to head home. I do carry a
spare pair of socks because those don't dry quickly.

I have a waterproof vest which I wear when it's cold or actually
raining. Keeps the front dry and warm, the seat keeps the back dry
and warm.

Zebee
Old June 2nd 08, 06:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On Jun 2, 1:08 am, "BtC" wrote:
Anyone have any good tips on wet weather gear for the winter?? I was
thinking about those industrial work gear supply places, they have some
interesting Hi Vis clothes (tops) which look like they would be more than
warm enough. I don't think it gets cold enough here in sunny (Ha! not
lately) Qld for waterproof pants, I guess.

However, does anyone have any testimonials on cycling dedicated cold wet
weather design gear?

It probably depends on your mileage.. but like previous posters, I
don't bother trying to keep dry. The trick is to make sure you stay
warm enough.

I do ok in Sydney with a pair of $20 polyprop thermals (underwear) and
standard summer cycling gear.. 20k each way.

Thermal top under a fluoro wicking short-sleeve jersey (that light
weave stuff). Bonus is that the thermal top is very loud stripes, so
helps visibility (some guy even said it looked 'very french' the
other day.. whatever that means)

For the bottom half these days I wear a pair of knicks under some
3/4 baggy nylon pants (plus-four type length cycling shorts).

In the past, I've worn the thermal pants under my knicks with no
real issues... it hasn't gotten cold enough in Sydney yet to bother
with the thermal bottoms (or the gloves).

I do have the luxury of a shower and clothes dryer at work; so I
don't have to climb into soggy gear in the evening. That makes a big
difference.

I'm sure this setup wouldn't work in Canberra or inland NSW.. but it
should be fine for coastal QLD.

duncan

Riding in the rain beerwolf Australia 31 May 21st 06 03:50 AM
Looks like Rain Maggie General 16 May 1st 05 07:26 AM
Rain.. Dave W Mountain Biking 0 March 27th 05 10:26 PM
I am looking for a rain poncho... Jacobe Hazzard General 5 September 15th 04 02:56 AM
Seeing in the rain Michael General 5 July 10th 03 12:56 PM