mountain bikes

Old July 23rd 08, 05:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default mountain bikes

hi all,

i am in WA and am currently looking at buying a good mountain bike.
my budget is $200 to $300.00. does anyone know where i can buy such
an item, either on the net or on the shop.

Also what is the difference between the bikes you get from a pro bike
shop and the ones sold in K-mart and Toys-r-us? Quite frankly i can't
tell the difference when they are new.

Please share your comments.

Thanks.
Old July 23rd 08, 07:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Jul 23, 2:29*pm, wrote:
hi all,

i am in WA and am currently looking at buying a good mountain bike.
my budget is $200 to $300.00. *does anyone know where i can buy such
an item, either on the net or on the shop.

Also what is the difference between the bikes you get from a pro bike
shop and the ones sold in K-mart and Toys-r-us? *Quite frankly i can't
tell the difference when they are new.

Please share your comments.

Thanks.

I don't think you'll get a "good" mtb for that money - not new,
anyway.

Knobby tyres do not make it a mtb. You will be able to get a bike that
will probably take you on gentle dirt trails, but the fact that they
come with a sticker saying this bike is not for off road use, stunting
or jumping, is a give away. BTH successfully commuted on a supermarket
bike for some time - his blog is worth a look - wherever it is, BTH?

However, you can buy something new that will be well made and well
built (supermarket bikes usually need you to do some of the assembly)
from your local bike shop. Basic "good" mtbs at the bike shop would
start around $500, although you should not have to pay rrp at any bike
shop. Buying last year's model also helps save.

I strongly recommend front suspension, even though it's not strictly
necessary. IMHO, the improvements in handling and comfort make it well
worth while. Duallies tend to be crap until the dollars get much
higher. I love disc brakes, but they aren't essential, and they bump
up the price. V brakes work pretty well.

If your budget is really that low, and you really want a "good" mtb,
second hand will be your only option. Check second hand bikes very
carefully - mtbs crack and break when ridden harder than the
manufacturer intended, and sometimes even when ridden gently. Crashes
break/bend bits. ;^)

Supermarket bike cons include assembly, cheap components, relatively
heavy weight, not for off road, disposable. Pros are they are cheap.
LBS bikes con is price. Pros are they are usually assembled correctly,
have well made components, you can get a good frame with cheaper
components to save costs (upgradeable when they wear out), and tend to
weigh less.

You can start on cheaper bikes and upgrade when the bug hits. ;^)

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com
Old July 23rd 08, 12:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:29:20 -0700, pago_boss wrote:

Also what is the difference between the bikes you get from a pro bike
shop and the ones sold in K-mart and Toys-r-us? Quite frankly i can't
tell the difference when they are new.

Umm, go buy one and see how you like them.
You could also see what books in your local library can give you
information on telling the difference.

To me, I wouldn't expect to get anything decent under $500.

There is nothing wrong with a Kmart bicycle, until it breaks down and you
have to repair it and you soon find out that if you are paying someone
else to do it, then can easily end up paying the same as a new bicycle.

alternatively, leave your wallet at home and go ask the same question of
ALL your local bicycle shops, then trust the guy that you feel helps you
the most. That was how I purchased my first bike.

Note, ask the same dumb question in all shops and go at a non-busy time.

Old July 23rd 08, 02:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

wrote in message

hi all,

i am in WA and am currently looking at buying a good mountain bike.
my budget is $200 to $300.00. does anyone know where i can buy such
an item, either on the net or on the shop.

Also what is the difference between the bikes you get from a pro bike
shop and the ones sold in K-mart and Toys-r-us? Quite frankly i can't
tell the difference when they are new.

Please share your comments.

Thanks.

You don't get much for that kind of money. You're talking strictly
recreational use like bike paths and maybe the odd dirt road, with rim
brakes and fairly ordinary componentry that won't stand up for long riding
trails with obstacles like log rollovers, jumps and dust or mud.
Here's an indication from one bike shop - http://tinyurl.com/58khdb and you
might also like to check out Anaconda's "Fluid" brand, Cell Bikes online
(http://www.cellbikes.com.au) and see what your local bike shops suggest.
Forget about the Kmart bikes. Nothing but disappointment there.

If you are intending to use it for serious offroad use then go 2nd hand. You
should be able to find a 2 or 3 year old hardtail with good quality disk
brakes, a reasonable front fork and solid wheels that would have originally
retailed around the $1000.00 mark within your budget.

--
www.ozcableguy.com

Old July 24th 08, 12:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

thefathippy wrote:
On Jul 23, 2:29 pm, wrote:
i am in WA and am currently looking at buying a good mountain bike.
my budget is $200 to $300.00. does anyone know where i can buy such
an item, either on the net or on the shop.

Also what is the difference between the bikes you get from a pro bike
shop and the ones sold in K-mart and Toys-r-us? Quite frankly i can't
tell the difference when they are new.

I don't think you'll get a "good" mtb for that money - not new,
anyway.

Knobby tyres do not make it a mtb. You will be able to get a bike that
will probably take you on gentle dirt trails, but the fact that they
come with a sticker saying this bike is not for off road use, stunting
or jumping, is a give away. BTH successfully commuted on a supermarket
bike for some time - his blog is worth a look - wherever it is, BTH?

http://www.humbletown.org/budgetbike/

I've been getting a bit lazy with updating the ride log, but it'll be
6370km by this evening.

I agree wholeheartedly with you that off-road riding on a bike like
mine is a bad idea. However, since I feel that most technical/jumping/
stunting is abuse of the machinery you might not want to listen to
me. ;-)

In my opinion (and I think my results so far have confirmed this)
department store bikes make for economical and reliable commuters *if
you maintain it yourself, and do so on a regular basis*.

Supermarket bike cons include assembly, cheap components, relatively
heavy weight, not for off road, disposable. Pros are they are cheap.

I'd put the "assembly" into the "pro" column - you'll learn a lot
while you're doing it! (If you want it to last you'll check over
everything on the bike prior to the first ride, not just stick the
handlebars and reflectors on it).

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

No arguments there! ;-)

BTH
Old July 24th 08, 12:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

OzCableguy wrote:
If you are intending to use it for serious offroad use ...

"serious" indeed! It's a toy, and you're playing - how could it be
"serious"? ;-)

BTH
Old July 24th 08, 12:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Plodder

wrote in message

hi all,

i am in WA and am currently looking at buying a good mountain bike.
my budget is $200 to $300.00. does anyone know where i can buy such
an item, either on the net or on the shop.

Also what is the difference between the bikes you get from a pro bike
shop and the ones sold in K-mart and Toys-r-us? Quite frankly i can't
tell the difference when they are new.

Please share your comments.

Thanks.

As a bike shop owner (in WA - email me off list if you want more info) I
love K Mart and Toys R Us bikes. They bring me lots of business in repairs

Seriously, a mountain bike for $200 - $300 will not do the things it looks
like it should do, at least for very long. Those bikes are not suitable for
off road riding. They will be OK on the occasional gravel path but are
really made for staying on sealed surfaces and looking like a mountain bike.

If you're thinking about riding on sealed surfaces (bike paths, road, shared
paths, etc.) try looking at a comfort bike; something like the Gekko City
Sport or Giant Elwood. They are a little more than your stated budget but
far more suitable for casual riding on sealed surfaces. More comfortable
too.

If you're thinking about going off road and doing some mountain biking,
you'll need to start at around $500 for something that will get you around
safely. The cheaper mountain bikes WILL break and you run the risk of
injury - I recently had a customer whose K Mart bike forks snapped and he's
lost several teeth. Many bike shop owners will have had similar experiences.

Your best action is to contact a bike shop and talk to people there. You'll
get proper advice about what's best for your intended riding and you'll get
a bike you'll be happier with. A $250 bike that's uncomfortable and spends
most of the time in the shed is a waste of money. A $350 bike that's
comfortable and used is value for money.

Toy shop and department store bikes are OK for commuting and light use if
you have good maintenance skills, otherwise you'll be paying people for
repairs so much you'll soon regret having "saved" the money on a cheap bike.

Cheers,

Frank

Old July 24th 08, 07:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Jul 24, 7:48*am, "Plodder" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Frank,

What i am really looking for is something that is durable, low
maintenance and value for money. Can you suggest a bike that meets
that criteria? A lot of the mountain bikes have lots of gear and
adjustments and i am not very mechanically minded. I think i can push
my budget up to $500.00.

thanks,

pago