April 1 announcement

Old August 2nd 08, 05:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Default April 1 announcement

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 13:53:18 +0000, Alan Erskine wrote:

I promised TerryC some information.

Thanks
Brings back old memories, aka what ever happened to these ideas.

As I remeber it all;

The oil mallee project was really about giving Australia a competitve
edge again in the extraction industry, aka we've exported our oil
producing plants to countries with cheaper labour and were now importing
our eucalyptus oil from their, The research was to boost uses and ths
demand of eucalyptus oil.

The charcoal buring stuff was all about showing that we could support a
silicon chip fabrication plant in Australia. Aka, if we could get our own
PV fabrication plant in Australia, it would be cracker. Far better use of
$10billion in my books than supporting a legacy industry.

but, as I said, it you don't have the water, then it doesn't matter what
you want to grow. Very easy to assume that everywhere else in Australia
has water when you have green lawns and believe the crap that floods in NW
NSW can suddenly fill the Murray River (wtf was ACF smoking). There is
much land in the riverina that is still suffering seven years of draought
and now the middle Tassie farmers are learning what a real drought is
about.

This (http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/blackwelletal07) talks about
using charcoal derived from Mallee to increase crop yields (look up
"Terra Preta" and "Biochar", especially on Wikipedia).

I know about charcoal and I don't like the generic use of the term. I
prefer the use of char, which is a different product.

The problem with all these commercial products are that they are just
another industrial product competing for farmers $$$.

(www.webcrawler.com).

Probably time to give some competition to google as it is really
altavista'd.

Old August 2nd 08, 05:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"terryc" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 13:53:18 +0000, Alan Erskine wrote:

(www.webcrawler.com).

Probably time to give some competition to google as it is really
altavista'd.

Google only really searches its own database. Webcrawler searches its own
database, but those of googel, yahoo, altavista etc. I've had people ask
for information, saying "I've googled for it" - I ask if they've used a good
search engine as well and point them to webcrawler - bloody brilliant. The
number of times people come back to me and say "WOW!" after using google and
_then_ trying webcrawler....

Old August 2nd 08, 09:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

"terryc" wrote in message news
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 11:17:09 +1000, Dinsdale Pirana wrote:

Everybody could buy a bike.

s/bike/basic decent bike/

instead of the TRU/Kmart/crap bikes that make up most of the figures now.

Well, those poor chumps will probably never buy another bike again. KMart/etc
have no shame in this regard.

Tom.
Old August 3rd 08, 07:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Alan Erskine wrote:
If crop residues (waste) were also used, Australia could do away with fossil
fuel-derived transport fuels altogether and export twice as much as we
currently consume - making Australia very, very rich.

I've heard that line about "crop wastes" many times, but never from a
farmer.

Upthread, you said:

If TDP (Thermal Depolymerisation Process

http://www.changingworldtech.com/ is just one version of it) were used to

process landfill waste (instead of dumping it in landfills in the first

place), over 3.5 million barrels of oil could be recovered every year.

Australia uses around 600,000 barrels of oil per *day*.

The nrma apparently want to reduce Australia's oil use by 50% over the
next 42 years. I suspect oil depletion alone should see us achieve
that target within 10.

BTH
Old August 3rd 08, 04:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

Dinsdale Pirana wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:06:25 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote in aus.bicycle:

The NRMA wants to wean Australia off its "unhealthy and costly"
addiction to oil by a massive boost to greener transport.

**What would $476 buy if not used to support industry?

Everybody could buy a bike.

Yeah, but $476 is for every man, woman, and child.
About 70% of everyone in Oz either could not ride a bike,
ie, babies, elderly, ppl with balance problems, don't like getting their
hair do all messed up,
et all,
or they just WON'T ride a bike because they don't have the time,
live too far away from work, are frightened of cars, reckon they need a
shower
when they ride to work, are worried they'll be so tired riding to and
from work
they'll fall asleep at the computer desk, etc.

But Oztrals are buying about 1 million bicycles each year now.

If the average cost is $500 each, that's 1/2 a billion each year.
Then there is what they spend on asociated gear for cycling.
10 years = 5 billion, none of it subsidized by handbacks from the Feds
instead of
funding BS big business.

I reckon spare rooms in houses are filling up with un-used bicycles at
an alarming rate,
judging by the bicycles I DON'T see on the roads, especially in mid
winter.

So the Oztrals pay through the nose on huge mortgages to guy little
mansions with lotsa rooms
all filled up with ticky tacky junk.
You should see the 3 car garage the guy next door to me has.
Its so crammed with junk that it cannot be used for the one family car,
and his son has nowhere
under cover to work on his electric experimental scooter, and the
family's 3 bicylces
are parked out in the rain.
****in madness.

Along with unused bikes, rooms are chockoblocko with unused exersize
machines,
skis, saddles, all manner of junk, waste bins fill woth wasted food,
and waistlines expand anyhow.

Its the Disease of Affluenza.

One must Buy the means to Goodness.
But actually Being Good? Oh no, youse gotta be kidding, that's boring
****in reality!

So you coud give $5,000 to each Oztral, and they'd spend it unwisely on
crap
and end up fatter and lazier than ever.

Govt's like to specialize on not giving the *******s anything.
I quite understand why governments despise the bloomin people.

Patrick Turner.

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

Old August 3rd 08, 05:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 15:13:47 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

Govt's like to specialize on not giving the *******s anything.

You been out of the country and missed all the handouts?

Old August 4th 08, 10:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

terryc wrote:

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 15:13:47 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

Govt's like to specialize on not giving the *******s anything.

You been out of the country and missed all the handouts?

No, I been here all the time, but not one ******* from a government
department
has knocked on my door to ask me if I am short of a quid, and to and
tell me
that they could offer me some money to brighten up my life a bit.

No, youse gotta go through all this rigmarol and have all these claims
and doctors certificates and ****
and then you might score a wee dram of a few lousy bucks.
It helps if you have only one leg, or one arm.

Of course the dole became really hard to get, so all these hundreds of
thousands
of blokes and sheilas decided they had a real bad back, or were very
depressed,
and I have a good back and never get depressed, so no lurk there for me
to milk for all
its worth.

But hey, spare a thought for the poor CEO who is retrenched, and takes
away
ten car loads stuffed full of dollars, despite lowering the profits and
share prices.

I just don't know how to bludge grandly, or even bludge professionally.

Patrick Turner.
Old August 4th 08, 02:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Davo

Patrick you can either stop using swear words in your posts or I block
you from appearing on my newsgroup reader. The choice is yours.

Old August 5th 08, 12:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
theo

On Aug 4, 5:38*pm, Patrick Turner wrote:
terryc wrote:

You been out of the country and missed all the handouts?

No, I been here all the time, but not one ******* from a government
department
has knocked on my door to ask me if I am short of a quid, and to and
tell me
that they could offer me some money to brighten up my life a bit.

You want someone from the government to knock on your door and give
you my money?

I just don't know how to bludge grandly, or even bludge professionally.

I recently had an appointment with a Gov't official. Very courteous
and helpful. Told me they'd give me $125 every four months from now on
and another $33 each quarter to help with the phone bill. If I work
past my next birthday they will even give me a taxfree bonus. Ain't
that nice. They even gave me a Senior's Health card so I only have to
pay $5 for a prescription from my local chemist, 50% of my shire
rates, free drivers licence, 15% discount at Chicken Treat, free
coffee at McDonalds, etc, etc.

Nice people, the Government. :-)

Cheers
Theo

Announcement Stu Fleming Racing 31 June 12th 06 06:28 AM
1. Bavariacup from the 29.April to the 30.April 2006 apflstrudl Unicycling 0 January 14th 06 03:09 PM
An important announcement Ryan Cousineau General 12 April 3rd 05 04:24 AM
April Century Rides New England or Mid-Atlantic In April? B Lafferty Rides 1 March 9th 05 01:31 PM