Bikes from curbside collection (Perth)

Old August 31st 08, 01:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Mr. Terrier

Default Bikes from curbside collection (Perth)

Graeme Dods:

"Mr. Terrier" wrote in
:

Graeme Dods:

TimC wrote in
:

Not seen a welder yet though (which somebody mentioned on here that
they'd seen one time) I've not done any dedicated searching for
yonks though.

Aha, 2 enormous welders at Swinburne just prior to me moving out,
after the truck had already left with my belongings (not that I'd be
able to get the transformers home anyway).

That was a while back that you mentioned that and I've been looking
ever since. I'll be suing for psychological damage for all the hopes
raised and dashed again, that's if I don't get done for kerb crawling
for driving slowly down residential streets!

Have you tired FreeCycle?

I subscribed to the local FreeCycle list a few years back until the
signal to noise ratio became far too low. I got fed up with people asking
for stuff (rather than offering it) in such a way as to sound massively
ungrateful before they've even received anything. It may have improved
though so I'll check it out for a while.

I'm subscribed to my local one (Sydney East) and mostly it's offers. There
are some requests, but that's alright by me. I haven't taken anything but
have given away a fair bit of useful stuff. The highlight for me was moving
house, unpacking, and wondering what I was going to do with a brazillion
cardboard boxes. I set up the computer and put them on Freecycle, and the
next day somebody came by, took them all away and left a 6-pack of beer!
--
Steve = : ^ )

Old September 1st 08, 01:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 04:26:14 -0700 (PDT), Travis
wrote:

I know some people here might appreciate the tip. Visiting my parents
in Murdoch, it appears that its curbside junk collection time. On
Raffaele Place I saw a couple of bikes left out which seemed to have
all their bits. They were a cheap mountain bike and an early 90s
hybrid style bike. Both seemed to be in adult size.

I didn't stop to inspect them closely so I can't vouch that they
really are rideable, but I guess anyone in the Murdoch vicinity
cruising for free bikes might want to drop in on Raffaele Place this
weekend, and the surrounding streets too I guess.

Travis

A couple of years ago I picked up one and a half Great Victorian Bike
Ride bikes dumped on a nature strip in Carnegie, Melbourne. These were
the green hybrid bikes given away with registrations to the ride about
4 years ago. I know some people reckon these bikes are total crap, but
I am delighted with mine. I have used it extensively and it has rarely
let me down. Apparently they came in 3 sizes and mine is the largest.
It is very comfortable to ride.

mugwump
Old September 1st 08, 08:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Baka Dasai

On 30 Aug 2008 11:58:19 GMT, Graeme Dods said (and I quote):
I do like the attitude of some of the people
dumping stuff. I've seen stickers on items saying such things as "Works -
just needs plug" or "Handle loose, otherwise fine".

I prefer a whimsical "Hi! I'm your new bike".
--
What was I thinking?
Old September 3rd 08, 09:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 01:32:38 -0700, BT Humble wrote:

http://www.otherpower.com/images/sci...freewelder.jpg

I paid $50 on eBay for one a lot like that. The coils resonate in a
wonderful way when it's on. The 10 amp plug so it'll go into a normal
powerpoint is OEM I'm sure, depsite the 15A rating on the welder. It's got
a VEC approval on it, it must be good!

(Now all I've got to do is spend enough time doing crap welds to work out
how to do good ones. Some I've done are OK, and it's kind of fun to learn).

--
Dave Hughes -
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what

Old September 3rd 08, 09:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:58:19 +0000, Graeme Dods wrote:

Somewhere in the middle you can find the occasional gem.

Have I mentioned my fixie?

I was riding home when I spotted a pile of crud in a neighbours front
yard. Sticking out was what looked like a handlebar. No clean up due any
time soon, but they were doing work on the garage, so I assumed it was
stuff that'd be going back in there.

A few days later it was still there, and the pile around it was looking
more like stuff that's *not* going back in the garage. So I knocked on the
door.

A lovely steel framed bike labelled "Suntour". A full Suntour groupset
from roughly 1985. I kept an eye out for a fixed hub to build into the
rear wheel until my LBS pointed out the ridiculously cheap built up wheels
they had on the wall.

I probably ride that bike more than any of my other ones ATM, at least in
frequency. I've yet to do a ride longer than about 50km, so the MTBs
and geared commuter which rack up a few hours per ride might outweigh
it time wise, but it's *fun*.

Old September 3rd 08, 09:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Dave Hughes wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 01:32:38 -0700, BT Humble wrote:
http://www.otherpower.com/images/sci...freewelder.jpg

I paid $50 on eBay for one a lot like that. The coils resonate in a
wonderful way when it's on. The 10 amp plug so it'll go into a normal
powerpoint is OEM I'm sure, depsite the 15A rating on the welder. It's got
a VEC approval on it, it must be good!

(Now all I've got to do is spend enough time doing crap welds to work out
how to do good ones. Some I've done are OK, and it's kind of fun to learn).

That one had the earth pin filed down so that it would fit into a 10A
socket.

There are plenty of "how to weld" books available, even some via
Google Books:

http://tinyurl.com/6qgs6c

But there's no substitute for practice, practice, practice!

BTH
Old September 3rd 08, 01:04 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

BT Humble wrote in news:2b8faa0b-7f09-466f-9393-
:

There are plenty of "how to weld" books available, even some via
Google Books:

http://tinyurl.com/6qgs6c

I managed to find a copy of the second entry in that list at the Save the
Children book sale at UWA a few years back ($10 for a box of books on the
last day). I reckon that book itself was worth the $10. A bit dry at times
and very theory laden, but incredibly useful.

But there's no substitute for practice, practice, practice!

My welds can be wonderful - until I get out the chipping hammer and remove
the slag :-(

--
Graeme
Old September 3rd 08, 10:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Moike

Graeme Dods wrote:
BT Humble wrote in news:2b8faa0b-7f09-466f-9393-
:

There are plenty of "how to weld" books available, even some via
Google Books:

http://tinyurl.com/6qgs6c

I managed to find a copy of the second entry in that list at the Save the
Children book sale at UWA a few years back ($10 for a box of books on the
last day). I reckon that book itself was worth the $10. A bit dry at times
and very theory laden, but incredibly useful.

But there's no substitute for practice, practice, practice!

My welds can be wonderful - until I get out the chipping hammer and remove
the slag :-(

heh. I can relate to that. I'm another who taught himself to use a
cheap arc welder following instructions on the web. Still.. needs must.
.... or as my old dad used to say "If a thing's *really* worth doing,
it's worth doing badly"

Moike
Old September 3rd 08, 11:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Moike wrote:
Graeme Dods wrote:
My welds can be wonderful - until I get out the chipping hammer and remove
the slag :-(

heh. I can relate to that. *I'm another who taught himself to use a
cheap arc welder following instructions on the web. *Still.. needs must..
... or as my old dad used to say "If a thing's *really* worth doing,
it's worth doing badly"

Angle grinders and paint: the self-taught welder's best friends! ;-)

BTH
Old September 3rd 08, 11:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
theo

On Sep 4, 5:54*am, Moike wrote:

heh. I can relate to that. *I'm another who taught himself to use a
cheap arc welder following instructions on the web. *

There was no web when I got my welder. I did an evening course at
TAFE.

Theo

a collection of solar electric hybrid bikes. chewbacca General 0 April 6th 08 05:16 PM
collection of solar electric hybrid bikes. chewbacca Techniques 0 April 6th 08 05:15 PM
Touring bikes in Perth? DeF Australia 14 October 18th 05 12:15 PM
Bikes Stolen in perth Scott Australia 0 September 15th 05 04:39 PM
Next Perth Unclaimed bikes auction SteveA Australia 0 May 31st 05 02:14 PM