Bearing troubles

Old September 21st 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
asthian

Default Bearing troubles

Hi,
I'm not sure if there is a thread of this already or not, but I thought
I'd post anyway:
The last few times I've gone out on my 24" nimbus muni, I've noticed
some horrible screeching noises coming from the bearings. The bearings
themselves seem fine, as in they spin ok without any noise, but the
problem is that the bearing seems to be coming off the axle and taking
the frame with it pulling it into my cranks. I tried to re-seat the
bearing and that worked for a while, but today after a few hours of
not-too-aggressive riding, the same problem cropped up again. Has
anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
This same thing also happened to my Nimbus nightrider a few days after
I got it, but after sending back to UDC for repairs, I've had no
trouble.

--
asthian

There's always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby, it's a deal.
Old September 21st 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

Try removing the bearings, cleaning the surfaces, and reinstalling using
some Loc-Tite sleeve retainer on the hub/inner race. That should keep
them in place.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old September 22nd 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bouin-bouin

This is usual with KH hub using original bearing from QU-AX with blue
sealing. Kris Holm told me that this is not a concern coming from the
hub but from the QU-AX bearing quality (Russian production). So he
decided to manufacture his own bearings to solve it (KH ISIS bearings
have green sealing). I guess this is same for Nimbus hub as it's the
same as KH one except brand name and flanges holes.

--
bouin-bouin

MUNI 24" & 29"
Old September 22nd 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jim

How tight have you tightened the bolts holding the bearing housings
together? The bearings housings are not supposed to touch each other,
there is supposed to be a small gap between them.
Is there a spacer between the cranks and the bearings?

jim

--
Jim
Old September 22nd 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

pkittle wrote:
Try removing the bearings, cleaning the surfaces, and reinstalling using
some Loc-Tite sleeve retainer on the hub/inner race. That should keep
them in place.

Doesn't removing the bearings pretty much wreck them?

.......you should probably buy new ones.

--
hobo_chuck
Old September 22nd 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
asthian

Thanks for the feedback, all.
Jim: The housing do have a bit of space between them, but I don't have
spacers.
I'll try setting the bearing back on with a spacer.

--
asthian

There's always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby, it's a deal.

Bearing problem: Stuck/Shifted bearing Evan Byrne Unicycling 26 August 3rd 07 07:01 PM
Car troubles Per Löwdin Rides 0 September 6th 05 05:39 PM
Car troubles Jim Flom Rides 5 August 21st 05 12:15 AM
Car troubles [email protected] Rides 1 August 19th 05 04:49 PM
ATV Troubles. TJ Mountain Biking 4 November 9th 04 08:05 PM