Red transparent tape of flashlight lens?

Old November 17th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Red transparent tape of flashlight lens?

On Nov 16, 7:38*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Nov 16, 8:18 am, " wrote:

On Nov 15, 11:06 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Nov 15, 2:48 pm, " wrote:

[...]
While at the marine store today I picked up a flashing emergency
light. *Claimed to be visible for a mile, intended to clip to a PFG
for MOB locating. *It's white, so I wouldn't use it in the dark, but
for rainy and foggy days like today it'll be on my jacket in addition
to my tail lights. *Nice, bright unit for $10.

I'm glad you don't plan to use that at night. *Those things are
blinding and confusing for other road users. *Pretty sure they're
illegal, partly for those reasons.

The white strobes on school buses are highly annoying.

Agreed. *So are strobe mode headlights. *This particular light is to
be used only in certain circumstances. *It's visibility, annoying
factor and disorientating factor will all be evaluated. *I think it'll
be a really good thing in heavy rain & fog.

.TONIGHT...INCREASING AREAS OF FOG...LOCALLY DENSE. LOWS 35 TO
40. LIGHT WIND.
.MONDAY...AREAS OF FOG IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING PARTLY
SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 50S. LIGHT WIND.

Planet Bike headlight and taillight here. *The whole kit cost around
$50, keeps me pretty much legal, gets noticed, can go weeks or more on
two AAA and two AA batteries, stows along with spare batteries in a
small trunk bag pocket, and comes from a great company.- Hide quoted text -

We clearly have very different ideas of what is an acceptable amount
of light, especially in the fog. There isn't a planet bike headlight
for $50 or less, much less a combo including a taillight, that throws
enough light forward to be able to ride comfortably at speed through
varying terrain in the dark IMO. If you want to putter down the road
@ 8MPH, or are riding through a city that’s pretty well lit up
already, things are different, but when it’s _truly_ dark out all
those cheap bike-specific headlights are woefully inadequate.