Vistalite in the rain

Old August 21st 03, 04:03 AM
troyq

Default Vistalite in the rain

spcjb001 wrote:
I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours use,
but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
stick system in the wet???
Any help much appreciated.

I get about 2 hours with mine (5w)... i think anything around 2 hours is
pretty standard per charge (for niMh anyway).

I have not yet had any issues in the wet, although once I was sure that
water somehow made it into the (what i thought it was) sealed unit...
dried up pretty quickly though and havent had a problem since.

Also remember not to run the battery completely out (if it's niMh)...
once you see the light go from white to orange, time to recharge.

Old August 24th 03, 11:24 AM
Sting

I've had my Vistalites for a couple of years now and commute 60K's daily
with them - rain, hail or shine. My set-up has the battery plugs facing up,
and although I have never had any problems with them in the lovely Melbourne
winter, I do smear some petroleum jelly (vasoline) on to the connectors to
keep out the water.

This may have no positive effect, but it certainly doesn't hurt. It
definitely worked on my Cateye Speedo, where the rain would get between the
mounting bracket and the unit - shorting the wheel sensor and causing a unit
to read 0Km/hr.

Hope this helps.

Sting.