weyless and wellgo?

Old September 11th 03, 11:24 PM
Monique Y. Herman

Default weyless and wellgo?

Just got the weyless mg-1 pedals I ordered from supergo. All seems well
(will be testing them out in a couple of hours), except that, while the
packaging says Weyless, the pedals themselves have "wellgo" embossed on
them.

Is weyless simply a sub-brand of wellgo, or am I missing something? The
packaging makes no reference to wellgo.

--
monique

My pointless ramblings:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6
Old September 11th 03, 11:37 PM
B. Sanders

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message

Just got the weyless mg-1 pedals I ordered from supergo. All seems well
(will be testing them out in a couple of hours), except that, while the
packaging says Weyless, the pedals themselves have "wellgo" embossed on
them.

Is weyless simply a sub-brand of wellgo, or am I missing something? The
packaging makes no reference to wellgo.

Wellgo is a *huge* pedal manufacturer. They make many of the
boutique-branded (and name-branded) pedals on the market (including
Ritchey). Sometimes they just decal the boutique brand name onto pedals
with the embossed Wellgo logo.

Weyless is Supergo's in-house boutique brand name for their high-quality
imported cycling components (and frames). I have a high-end custom bike
(RaceFace/XTR, etc) built around their Weyless Ultra hardtail frame, and I'm
very happy with the frame so far. Nice geometry, very stiff, very light.
From what I've seen, the Weyless "brand" offers excellent value.

-=Barry=-

Old September 12th 03, 12:14 AM
John Morgan

I have a high-end custom bike (RaceFace/XTR, etc) built around their
Weyless Ultra hardtail frame, and I'm very happy with the frame so far.

Barry, hopefully you have the second generation Weyless Ultra frame. The
first generation has been recalled due to some issues with the lightweight
toptube and downtube severing a few inches from the headtube. I've never
seen anything like it. There have only been two or three occurances of
frame failure, but they were recalled just to make sure.

If your frame is black anodized you have 1st generation (faulty), if it has
regular black paint you have a 2nd generation frame.

-John Morgan

Old September 12th 03, 12:42 AM
Stephen Baker

John Morgan says:

If your frame is black anodized you have 1st generation (faulty), if it has
regular black paint you have a 2nd generation frame.

And the only way to tell them apart is to scratch it?

Hehe
Old September 12th 03, 01:12 AM
B. Sanders

"John Morgan" wrote in message
newsk78b.52395$cj1.4075@fed1read06...
I have a high-end custom bike (RaceFace/XTR, etc) built around their
Weyless Ultra hardtail frame, and I'm very happy with the frame so far.

Barry, hopefully you have the second generation Weyless Ultra frame. The
first generation has been recalled due to some issues with the lightweight
toptube and downtube severing a few inches from the headtube. I've never
seen anything like it. There have only been two or three occurances of
frame failure, but they were recalled just to make sure.

Thanks, John. Yes, I have the 2nd generation (2003) Weyless Ultra frame.

I've seen photos of a 1st generation (2002) Weyless Ultra frame snapped
neatly in two pieces, in the middle of the downtube and top tube. Looked
*very* dangerous. Supergo says they collaborated with Easton engineers to
re-design the frame from the ground up. I figure Easton knows a thing or two
about bike frames. Nice CNC'd seat stay brace. Solid and stiff as any frame
I've ridden (including my Klein Attitude and former Stumpy M2 hardtail).

If your frame is black anodized you have 1st generation (faulty), if it

has
regular black paint you have a 2nd generation frame.

Mine is painted black. I wonder...do you think the anodizing is what caused
the failures?

-Barry

Old September 12th 03, 01:55 AM
John Morgan

Mine is painted black. I wonder...do you think the anodizing is what
caused
the failures?

-Barry

Nah, if anything, the anodizing makes aluminum stronger and more durable. I
think it had something to do with the tubes they used in constructing the
frame.

Happy and safe riding,

-John Morgan

Old September 12th 03, 06:01 AM
Mark Hickey

"John Morgan" wrote:

Mine is painted black. I wonder...do you think the anodizing is what

caused
the failures?

-Barry

Nah, if anything, the anodizing makes aluminum stronger and more durable. I
think it had something to do with the tubes they used in constructing the
frame.

I think you're right about the root cause, but anodizing often makes
aluminum more prone to failure (which is why anodized rims fail much
more often than non-anodized rims). The thin anodizing surface is
very brittle, and cracks form in it, form itty bitty little stress
risers and eventually the crack propagates to the underlying aluminum.

I'm not sure this ever really happens on a frame... but it's certainly
possible (and the fact the anodized ones cracked and they switched to
paint may or may not be significant).

Mark "don't need no anodizin'" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old September 12th 03, 06:08 PM
John Morgan

I think you're right about the root cause, but anodizing often makes
aluminum more prone to failure (which is why anodized rims fail much
more often than non-anodized rims). The thin anodizing surface is
very brittle, and cracks form in it, form itty bitty little stress
risers and eventually the crack propagates to the underlying aluminum.

I'm not sure this ever really happens on a frame... but it's certainly
possible (and the fact the anodized ones cracked and they switched to
paint may or may not be significant).

Very good points, all of them from the resident frame/metallurgist expert
himself.
Maybe I'm just biased towards anodizing because it looks cool and is a much
more durable finish than the standard paint + clearcoat. Or maybe I like it
because it costs more and I pretend to be an elitist.

hmm...

-John Morgan

Old September 12th 03, 08:07 PM
big purple dinosaur

"JD" wrote in message
om...
"B. Sanders" wrote in message

Weyless is Supergo's in-house boutique brand name for their high-quality
imported cycling components (and frames). I have a high-end custom bike
(RaceFace/XTR, etc) built around their Weyless Ultra hardtail frame, and

I'm
very happy with the frame so far. Nice geometry, very stiff, very

light.
From what I've seen, the Weyless "brand" offers excellent value.

Your wayless is just that barry bargain, way less than a custom
bicycle. If you try to tell us that frame was built custom for you it
will only reinforce the fact that you are naive about bicycles. Do
you even ride?

JD

Old September 12th 03, 11:40 PM
B. Sanders

"big purple dinosaur" wrote in message
s.com...

"JD" wrote in message
om...
"B. Sanders" wrote in message

Weyless is Supergo's in-house boutique brand name for their

high-quality
imported cycling components (and frames). I have a high-end custom

bike
(RaceFace/XTR, etc) built around their Weyless Ultra hardtail frame,

and
I'm
very happy with the frame so far. Nice geometry, very stiff, very

light.
From what I've seen, the Weyless "brand" offers excellent value.

Your wayless is just that barry bargain, way less than a custom
bicycle. If you try to tell us that frame was built custom for you it
will only reinforce the fact that you are naive about bicycles. Do
you even ride?

Oh, look, another sad and boring troll.

plonk