Beginning in London

Old March 20th 05, 09:48 PM
nsj

Default Beginning in London

Hello chaps,

Looking through the [lack of] charter for the group, I see there's quite a
vague description of what goes on he

uk.rec.cycling Discussion of UK cycling issues

So, in the hope that I've come to the right place, I'd like to ask a few
questions.

Firstly, there's me. Reasonably unfit, 6'5", 15.5st, early twenties, doing
a nine 'til half five job, swilling beer, and buying a Travelcard every
month. I've not cycled since someone robbed me of my last one about six or
seven years ago.

Secondly, there's what I'm looking to do. Get less unfit, not lose any
height, knock a stone or two off while not getting much older. I'd also
like to not swill as much beer, and not have to shell out so much money on
travel.

With the warm weather having started, I figured cycling to and from work
(rather than a tube/bus combination) would help matters. No need to buy a
Travelcard, expend some of those excess calories, and not be able to go for
a couple of pints after work. There's somewhere sheltered and secure to tie
a bike up at home and at work, and there's also a shower at both places!

My first set of questions arise about the route:

I live near West Acton station, and work near Latimer Road station. Looking
at the London Cycle Network map, finding my way to Uxbridge Road will allow
me to go through Acton down to Shepherd's Bush, where I can turn off up
towards Latimer Road station just after the roundabout. But my only
experiences of the overground route of the Uxbridge Road come entirely from
drunken late night trips on the Night Bus. But I do have a feeling it is
quite hilly -- in both directions -- particularly through Acton centre. If
this is so, can anyone suggest an alternative route that might be less
strenuous for a beginner?

My second set of questions pertain to equipment:

I'm quite a big bloke. What do all these frame sizes mean? What's
lightweight but inexpensive? Probably looking for the best trade-off ratio,
I suppose -- but leaning towards inexpensive. We're probably talking a
project budget of a couple of hundred quid for the whole thing. Second hand
is certainly an option. Would rather get reasonable second hand kit than
crap new stuff. Where is a good place to look to buy (either new or s/h)?
Are there any pitfalls to look for when buying second hand? What kind of
cycle would be best suited to what I want to use it for? What's the current
standard/certification to look for in safety helmets?

My third (and final) set of questions are about London:

As a pedestrian, London is quite intimidating. It seems the rules of the
road that were observed in the parts of the world in which I grew up simply
don't seem to exist here. Is cycling in London (either where the cycle
lanes are or not) as intimidating as it is for a pedestrain to get across a
zebra crossing? As a non-driver, is embarking upon cycling in London
without any non-quiet-suburbian experience a considerable risk?

If I've missed an FAQ somewhere, my apologies -- all pointers appreciated!
I've probably missed some things I want to know, and will no doubt post
again at some stage.

Best wishes and many thanks in advance,
Nick.

--
Now Playing: Sergio Mendes - Mas Que Nada [192kbps mp3]

Change invalid to the two letter abbreviation for Internet Explorer, if
replying by e-mail
Old March 20th 05, 10:58 PM
Pete Biggs

nsj wrote:
Firstly, there's me. Reasonably unfit, 6'5", 15.5st, early twenties,
doing a nine 'til half five job, swilling beer, and buying a
Travelcard every month. I've not cycled since someone robbed me of
my last one about six or seven years ago.

The 6'5" bit is the only unsual bit there :-)

/snip
I live near West Acton station, and work near Latimer Road station.
Looking at the London Cycle Network map, finding my way to Uxbridge
Road will allow me to go through Acton down to Shepherd's Bush, where
I can turn off up towards Latimer Road station just after the
roundabout. But my only experiences of the overground route of the
Uxbridge Road come entirely from drunken late night trips on the
Night Bus. But I do have a feeling it is quite hilly -- in both
directions -- particularly through Acton centre. If this is so, can
anyone suggest an alternative route that might be less strenuous for
a beginner?

Hills won't be a problem if you get a bike with a wide range of gears,
seriously. Just spin up them in a low gear. Sorry I can't remember how
hilly Acton is. I tend not to remember because I have a bike with some
low gears :-)

My second set of questions pertain to equipment:

I'm quite a big bloke. What do all these frame sizes mean?

This was discussed in another thread very recently, have a browse through
all the recent messages. As far as convential road bike frames measured
in the convential way goes, you could probably do with one larger than 60
cm. If buying a new bike, you'll need the largest size, no question about
it -- that's if the largest one is large enough.

What's
lightweight but inexpensive? Probably looking for the best trade-off
ratio, I suppose -- but leaning towards inexpensive. We're probably
talking a project budget of a couple of hundred quid for the whole
thing. Second hand is certainly an option. Would rather get
reasonable second hand kit than crap new stuff.

That'll be the case when total budget is £200.

Where is a good
place to look to buy (either new or s/h)? Are there any pitfalls to
look for when buying second hand? What kind of cycle would be best
suited to what I want to use it for?

There aren't too many large second-hand bikes around at any one time, but
still you could ask local bike shops if they have any. Or perhaps find
someone who knows more about bikes to check out those advertised in your
local newspaper (or elsewhere).

My third (and final) set of questions are about London:

As a pedestrian, London is quite intimidating. It seems the rules of
the road that were observed in the parts of the world in which I grew
up simply don't seem to exist here. Is cycling in London (either
where the cycle lanes are or not) as intimidating as it is for a
pedestrain to get across a zebra crossing? As a non-driver, is
embarking upon cycling in London without any non-quiet-suburbian
experience a considerable risk?

I'm not sure cycling in inner London is any more dangerous than in the
burbs or outside London. Yes it's busier, but speeds are lower (speed of
both other traffic and yourself).

Best of luck with your bike hunting and cycling. I'll make one
prediction: you will enjoy it.

~PB

Old March 20th 05, 11:15 PM
David Martin

On 20/3/05 9:48 pm, in article , "nsj"
wrote:

With the warm weather having started, I figured cycling to and from work
(rather than a tube/bus combination) would help matters. No need to buy a
Travelcard, expend some of those excess calories, and not be able to go for
a couple of pints after work. There's somewhere sheltered and secure to tie
a bike up at home and at work, and there's also a shower at both places!

Great

My first set of questions arise about the route:

I live near West Acton station, and work near Latimer Road station. Looking
at the London Cycle Network map, finding my way to Uxbridge Road will allow
me to go through Acton down to Shepherd's Bush, where I can turn off up
towards Latimer Road station just after the roundabout. But my only
experiences of the overground route of the Uxbridge Road come entirely from
drunken late night trips on the Night Bus. But I do have a feeling it is
quite hilly -- in both directions -- particularly through Acton centre. If
this is so, can anyone suggest an alternative route that might be less
strenuous for a beginner?

Not that hilly really. It will get much easier as you do it. In less than
two weeks you'll not find the slight hills any problem at all.

My second set of questions pertain to equipment:

I'm quite a big bloke. What do all these frame sizes mean? What's
lightweight but inexpensive? Probably looking for the best trade-off ratio,
I suppose -- but leaning towards inexpensive. We're probably talking a
project budget of a couple of hundred quid for the whole thing. Second hand
is certainly an option. Would rather get reasonable second hand kit than
crap new stuff.

You have two options. Go to a good local bike shop who will point you in the
right direction. Or find a friend who knows what they are doign and get them
to help find you a good second hand one.

Where is a good place to look to buy (either new or s/h)?
Are there any pitfalls to look for when buying second hand? What kind of
cycle would be best suited to what I want to use it for? What's the current
standard/certification to look for in safety helmets?

EN something or other. Don't rely on it to do any more than protect you from
minor bumps and scratches (ie, just what the manufacturers say).
Don't forget good lights (at night), good reflectives and to cycle
positively. Far more important than a helmet.

My third (and final) set of questions are about London:

As a pedestrian, London is quite intimidating. It seems the rules of the
road that were observed in the parts of the world in which I grew up simply
don't seem to exist here. Is cycling in London (either where the cycle
lanes are or not) as intimidating as it is for a pedestrain to get across a
zebra crossing? As a non-driver, is embarking upon cycling in London
without any non-quiet-suburbian experience a considerable risk?

Maybe. If you have a few quid (and it really is very few) then getting a
session with someone like Patrick Field (London School of Cycling) or
similar would be money well spent. They'll take you through your commute and
give you useful training on coping with London traffic.

Having grown up in London, I don't find the traffic much of a problem, it is
just a case of being positive and staking your claim to your road space (OK,
maybe not as easy as it first sounds).

...d

Old March 20th 05, 11:33 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , nsj ')
wrote:

[snip - I know nothing about cycling in London - someone else will
answer that]

My second set of questions pertain to equipment:

I'm quite a big bloke.Â*Â*WhatÂ*doÂ*allÂ*theseÂ*frameÂ*sizesÂ*mean ?

Frame geometry has hanged quite rapidly over the past few years, and
different manufacturers geometries are now quite noticeably different,
so there's really no substitute for test riding, I'm afraid.

What's
lightweight but inexpensive? Probably looking for the best trade-off
ratio, I suppose -- but leaning towards inexpensive.Â*Â*We'reÂ*probably
talkingÂ*a project budget of a couple of hundred quid for the whole
thing.Â*Â*SecondÂ*hand is certainly an option.

Second hand may be the best option, if £200 is what you want to spend.
Don't get me wrong - there are some good bikes for under £200 - but you
will also need a lock, and rainwear. And cheap bikes tend to be heavy.

One serious consideration for urban cycling is that your bike should not
look attractive to thieves - which is another reason why a
ratty-looking but mechanically sound second hand bike may be a good
buy.

WouldÂ*ratherÂ*get
reasonableÂ*secondÂ*handÂ*kitÂ*than crap new stuff.Â*Â*WhereÂ*isÂ*aÂ*goodÂ*place
toÂ*lookÂ*toÂ*buyÂ*(eitherÂ*newÂ*orÂ*s/h)? Are there any pitfalls to look for
when buying second hand?Â*Â*WhatÂ*kindÂ*of cycle would be best suited to
what I want to use it for?

Consider a utility bike with hub gears - less attractive to thieves, and
easier to change gears at traffic lights, while still capable of
reasonable speeds in urban stop/go traffic.

What'sÂ*theÂ*current standard/certification
to look for in safety helmets?

There are two standards around, but the only widely available brand of
helmet tested to the higher (Snell) standard is Specialized. However,
no cycle helmet can be relied on in a car/bike collision - they aren't
designed for that kind of thing.

If I've missed an FAQ somewhere, my apologies -- all pointers
appreciated! I've probably missed some things I want to know, and will
no doubt post again at some stage.

URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk/urcautofaq/

;; how did we conclude that a ****ing cartoon mouse is deserving
;; of 90+ years of protection, but a cure for cancer, only 14?
-- user 'Tackhead', in /. discussion of copyright law, 22/05/02
Old March 21st 05, 07:01 AM
LSMike

nsj wrote:

Nick.

Awesome, you'll love cycling to work. Just take it slow and steady and
start with only one or two days per week.

If you can stretch your budget a little, and the bike's available in
your size, a Decathlon Triban got a good Cycling plus writeup. In any
case, go visit several different bike shops and try out different bike
types to see what type suits you and which ones are comfortable.
You'll get good advice at most local bike shops too.

As for dealing with the traffic in London, a *must read* book is
Cyclecraft by John Franklin. That book is very very good and will help
make dealing with and cycling in traffic a pleasure.

Old March 21st 05, 08:33 AM
John Hearns

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:48:57 +0000, nsj wrote:

With the warm weather having started, I figured cycling to and from work
(rather than a tube/bus combination) would help matters. No need to buy a
Travelcard, expend some of those excess calories, and not be able to go for
a couple of pints after work. There's somewhere sheltered and secure to tie
a bike up at home and at work, and there's also a shower at both places!

My first set of questions arise about the route:

NSJ, the people to help are the London Cycling Campaign.
The website is http://www.lcc.org.uk
On the site there are loads of leaflets about cycling.
No-one will try to make you join the LCC, and if you give them
a ring they will give you advice.

Find out who your local LCC group are, and ask about a 'Bike Buddy'.
That is someone who volunteers to ride along with you for the first
few mornings, showing you the route.

Also ask your local LCC group about cycle training.
Many boroughs in London have funds for free cycle training for adults -
this is on-road training, not a circuit round a school playground.
See below - you get it free.

My second set of questions pertain to equipment:

I'm quite a big bloke. What do all these frame sizes mean? What's
lightweight but inexpensive? Probably looking for the best trade-off ratio,
I suppose -- but leaning towards inexpensive. We're probably talking a
project budget of a couple of hundred quid for the whole thing.

For frame size, I don't know.
But stand over the bike - make sure there is sufficient clearance between
vital bits and top tube!
I would up the budget ever so slightly, and take the Jubilee Line to
Decathlon at Surrey Quays. They have some decent city bikes at that sort
of price.

Actually, for your commute how about looking for a hyrid?
Ridgeback are a good make, and maybe look for a secondhand one of them?
Let's be honest though that a hundred quid is at the very low end of
cycling.
Spend a bit more and you will enjoy it, and be likely to keep it up.

What are the group's opinions on these from Evans:
http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?...ubdept_id=1205

My third (and final) set of questions are about London:

As a pedestrian, London is quite intimidating. It seems the rules of the
road that were observed in the parts of the world in which I grew up simply
don't seem to exist here.

Get the cycle training.
http://www.cycletraining.co.uk/

Your LCC group is http://www.ealingcycling.org.uk/
Click on the training link - there is free training from Ealing Council.

Old March 21st 05, 09:44 AM
John Hearns

Apologies if this comes through twice.

Old March 21st 05, 09:47 AM
John Hearns

Apologies if this comes through twice.

I would say the best bet is to go to a decent bike shop
local to you. (Choir - good LBS in Acton?)
Look at hybrid bikes, especially Ridgeback.
Plug for the LCC - join the LCC and you get a 10% discount on
new bikes from many shops.

If you venture further afield for a new or second hand bike,
remember that the surface Tube lines allow you to carry your bike
with you (outwith the rush hours). Lines with escalators do
not allow bikes.
So if you go to Decathlon you can get the East London then the
District Line back.

And to the choir, yes I know that a bike can be ridden across
London. But it may be a bit daunting for a beginner.

Old March 21st 05, 10:08 AM
Bryan

About cycling from Acton to Sheperds Bush. There's only really one hill
and thats coming from SB to Acton, and even then it only lasts for a
couple of hundred yards. Although there is a 'cycle lane' marled all
the way along the Uxbridge Road (I cycle it all the way to Uxbridge)
don't expcet it to be available for use as there are to many parked
cars along it you'll be lucky if you actually see it. Having said that
the build up of traffic is usually so much that you'll be cycling past
cars most of the way. There seem to be quite a few cyclists going into
twn that way so you should be able to tag along with some of them
particulalry when you start out, as we are generally a friendly bunch.

In 2 years of cycling along this stretch of rioad I haven't had any
problems (don;t get me stsrted with Southall thgouh :-() Just keep
your eyes and ears open for the usual lunatics and mad bus drivers (the
607's are the worst).

And finally odo ewhat others have suggested and contact LCC, again a
nice bunch of people.

Bryan

--
Bryan

Old March 21st 05, 10:29 AM
LSMike

Oh, and wouldn't it be worth joining the CTC? I did on recommendations
from people here.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/

In the News: £22m cycling centre for London Jason Spaceman Racing 0 February 16th 05 11:51 AM
London to Brighton 2005 Ianmel UK 1 November 15th 04 03:27 PM
London to Brighton 2005 Ianmel UK 2 November 15th 04 08:49 AM
London design Standards for Cycling Jeremy Parker UK 3 February 3rd 04 06:19 PM
London to Brighton Bike ride 2004 debs UK 14 January 18th 04 03:21 PM