Hot of the press: Zabel leaves T-Mobile

Old August 1st 05, 03:12 AM
sonarrat

Richard Adams wrote:
Ernst Noch wrote:

Told this just in an interview (and press conference).
Doesn't say where he is headed.

To a better team, no doubt

Phonak?
Gerolsteiner?

Everyone on T-Mobile eventually wastes their opportunities working for
the ever fading chances of Jan winning another tour.

I bet he goes to Discovery Channel.

-Sonarrat.
Old August 1st 05, 04:03 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Everyone on T-Mobile eventually wastes their opportunities working for
the ever fading chances of Jan winning another tour.

I bet he goes to Discovery Channel.

I know that Johan (Discovery DS) speaks six languages, but don't recall if
German is one of them. On the other hand, I believe I've heard Zabel speak
passable english.

But if it's a serious question, I don't think Zabel is much help for
Discovery's most-desperate need- an American hero. I know the heir apparent
is supposedly Popyvich, but I just can't see American's thinking the team is
"American enough" if the leading guys are from Eastern Europe. And
Danielson's a bit young to expect anything huge from next year.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 1st 05, 04:16 AM
Nev Shea

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
:

But if it's a serious question, I don't think Zabel is much help for
Discovery's most-desperate need- an American hero. I know the heir
apparent is supposedly Popyvich, but I just can't see American's
thinking the team is "American enough" if the leading guys are from
Eastern Europe. And Danielson's a bit young to expect anything huge
from next year.

What makes you think the Discovery team cares about having an American hero
or that Americans are going to be caring about bicycle racing any more?

NS

Old August 1st 05, 04:28 AM
Bob Schwartz

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
But if it's a serious question, I don't think Zabel is much help for
Discovery's most-desperate need- an American hero. I know the heir apparent
is supposedly Popyvich, but I just can't see American's thinking the team is
"American enough" if the leading guys are from Eastern Europe. And
Danielson's a bit young to expect anything huge from next year.

Danielson will be 28 next year. He's a couple of months younger than
Basso. If he's going to win a race or two against real competition,
next year would be a good time to show it.

Bob Schwartz

Old August 1st 05, 04:46 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

But if it's a serious question, I don't think Zabel is much help for
Discovery's most-desperate need- an American hero. I know the heir
apparent
is supposedly Popyvich, but I just can't see American's thinking the team
is
"American enough" if the leading guys are from Eastern Europe. And
Danielson's a bit young to expect anything huge from next year.

Danielson will be 28 next year. He's a couple of months younger than
Basso. If he's going to win a race or two against real competition,
next year would be a good time to show it.

Bob Schwartz

Bob: You're right, my bad, I was thinking he was younger than that. Next
year would be appropriate timing to make it (or not). Too bad we didn't get
to see him show his stuff in the Giro this year.

Old August 1st 05, 04:59 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

But if it's a serious question, I don't think Zabel is much help for
Discovery's most-desperate need- an American hero. I know the heir
apparent is supposedly Popyvich, but I just can't see American's
thinking the team is "American enough" if the leading guys are from
Eastern Europe. And Danielson's a bit young to expect anything huge
from next year.

What makes you think the Discovery team cares about having an American
hero
or that Americans are going to be caring about bicycle racing any more?

Whether he wants to or not, Lance is tied into Discovery for another year in
some capacity or another. I suspect they'll use him to create as much
interest in the team (from the US) as possible. As for Discovery caring
about an American hero, why the heck not? Don't they have a much larger
installed base of viewers in the US than in Europe?

It may be wishful thinking, but I feel that Armstrong has created a
continuing interest in cycling, at least as it pertains to those who he's
beaten in the past. Ullrich, Basso, maybe even Rasmussen... I know a lot of
my customers are (finally) beginning to realize that the TDF is more than
just Lance Armstrong. Next year I'll be doing my best to create local
interest. We'll see!

Old August 1st 05, 06:11 AM
sonarrat

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Everyone on T-Mobile eventually wastes their opportunities working for
the ever fading chances of Jan winning another tour.

I bet he goes to Discovery Channel.

I know that Johan (Discovery DS) speaks six languages, but don't recall if
German is one of them. On the other hand, I believe I've heard Zabel speak
passable english.

But if it's a serious question, I don't think Zabel is much help for
Discovery's most-desperate need- an American hero. I know the heir apparent
is supposedly Popyvich, but I just can't see American's thinking the team is
"American enough" if the leading guys are from Eastern Europe. And
Danielson's a bit young to expect anything huge from next year.

It's not just that Zabel speaks decent English. He has an image based
on hard work, dedication and the drive to be an ever more complete rider
season by season. He's the kind of rider who could inspire an entire
team if given half the chance.
Old August 1st 05, 06:42 AM
juani

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
.. .
Everyone on T-Mobile eventually wastes their opportunities working for
the ever fading chances of Jan winning another tour.

I bet he goes to Discovery Channel.

I know that Johan (Discovery DS) speaks six languages, but don't recall
if German is one of them. On the other hand, I believe I've heard Zabel
speak passable english.

If Johan doesn't speak German, being Flemish
then it's something wrong with him....
But then again, he acts kinda French...

Old August 1st 05, 08:36 AM
Sandy

Dans le message de ,
Mike Jacoubowsky a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

It may be wishful thinking, but I feel that Armstrong has created a
continuing interest in cycling

Mike, I'd be interested in knowing whether this is a sustained increase in
interest, or whether it is cyclic, settling on the Tour calendar. Are your
sales different over the whole year in the past seven years ?
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old August 1st 05, 01:44 PM
Stig Are M. Botterli

On 2005-07-31, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

Dumbass -

Yep. He knows he could have won it this year.

Circumstances like this year

How about the circumstances of last years TdF? Compared to Zabel, McEwen
missed two sprint finishes, while Hushovd missed three. Zabel was also able
to sprint for second in the stage Virenque won (though he ended 3., beaten
by his good friend Klöden), when only he and O'Grady of the sprinters could
hang on to the group of GC contenders.

Yet, despite these very fortunate circumstances, he STILL ended third in the
points competition behind McEwen and Hushovd.

--
Stig Are M. Botterli

Got to love Zabel Bill C Racing 14 May 22nd 05 12:07 AM
He even gets in the Norfolk press... dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 6 January 18th 04 11:43 AM
Web page to report drivers using mobile phones Justin Australia 2 November 12th 03 10:26 PM
Arcata celebrates Skot, Denise Hill is Back Leaves Reno amid fanfare Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Recumbent Biking 0 July 26th 03 09:24 PM