Hot of the press: Zabel leaves T-Mobile

Old August 1st 05, 02:39 PM
RonSonic

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 03:16:28 GMT, Nev Shea wrote:

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
m:

But if it's a serious question, I don't think Zabel is much help for
Discovery's most-desperate need- an American hero. I know the heir
apparent is supposedly Popyvich, but I just can't see American's
thinking the team is "American enough" if the leading guys are from
Eastern Europe. And Danielson's a bit young to expect anything huge
from next year.

What makes you think the Discovery team cares about having an American hero
or that Americans are going to be caring about bicycle racing any more?

Because the sponsors will care.

Ron

Old August 1st 05, 03:33 PM
Tom Kunich

Are you ****ting us Mike? Exactly what sort of an American Hero does
Discovery need? Say, another George Hincapie? (Clue - watch the SFGP).
Maybe they need another super climber like Tom Danielson? Or what about
an Americanized eastern European like Poppo?

Old August 1st 05, 03:38 PM
Tom Kunich

Mike, you're absolutely correct that Andy Hampsten, Greg LeMond and
Lance Armstrong have created an American awareness of bicycle racing.

The problem is that TV sports couldn't care less. They want to have a
sport in which they set up 5 cameras and that's all the effort the
production staff has to make.

Let's face it, they are willing to put GOLF (the sport of old farts and
fags) on TV for hours rather than buy European coverage of bicycle
racing.

Old August 1st 05, 05:04 PM
gds

Tom Kunich wrote:

Let's face it, they are willing to put GOLF (the sport of old farts and
fags) on TV for hours rather than buy European coverage of bicycle
racing.

I imagine that the fact that there are lots more folks in the US
interested in watching golf than cycling has something to do with it.

That is not a value laden statement, just an observation.

And I would imagine that the TV folks would be very willing to set up
anyting if there were sponsors willing to foot the bill.

Old August 1st 05, 06:28 PM
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

:

But if it's a serious question, I don't think Zabel is much help for
Discovery's most-desperate need- an American hero. I know the heir
apparent is supposedly Popyvich, but I just can't see American's
thinking the team is "American enough" if the leading guys are from
Eastern Europe. And Danielson's a bit young to expect anything huge
from next year.

What makes you think the Discovery team cares about having an American
hero
or that Americans are going to be caring about bicycle racing any more?

Because the sponsors will care.

Ron

But Discovery Channel also has European interests. Their sponsorship of a
pro cycling team might be aimed at that market rather than the US.

Old August 1st 05, 07:31 PM
Sandy

Dans le message de l,
Jonathan v.d. Sluis a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
"RonSonic" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 03:16:28 GMT, Nev Shea
wrote:
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
:

But if it's a serious question, I don't think Zabel is much help
for Discovery's most-desperate need- an American hero. I know the
heir apparent is supposedly Popyvich, but I just can't see
American's thinking the team is "American enough" if the leading
guys are from Eastern Europe. And Danielson's a bit young to
expect anything huge from next year.

What makes you think the Discovery team cares about having an
American hero
or that Americans are going to be caring about bicycle racing any
more?

Because the sponsors will care.

Ron

But Discovery Channel also has European interests. Their sponsorship
of a pro cycling team might be aimed at that market rather than the
US.

Exactly. They are flooding the French TV stations with promotion of their
service. You spend less where the market is stable and predictable, and
more where you need to make initial penetration.

Old August 2nd 05, 02:01 AM
RonSonic

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:28:41 +0200, "Jonathan v.d. Sluis"
wrote:

"RonSonic" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Oh, I'm sure that's a factor, and not ignored. They aren't the only sponsor.

How badly does Shimano want to keep their position in the US market. Think
Tailwind is getting a LOT more than free parts out of this? Hell yeah.

Trek really cares about the American market. So do Nike and Oakley.

I don't have a clue what a Berry Floor is so can't speak to them.

Ron

Got to love Zabel Bill C Racing 14 May 22nd 05 12:07 AM
He even gets in the Norfolk press... dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 6 January 18th 04 11:43 AM
Web page to report drivers using mobile phones Justin Australia 2 November 12th 03 10:26 PM
Arcata celebrates Skot, Denise Hill is Back Leaves Reno amid fanfare Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Recumbent Biking 0 July 26th 03 09:24 PM