Why to avoid cycle lanes

Old October 31st 18, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Why to avoid cycle lanes

On Monday, October 29, 2018 at 7:50:10 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 29/10/2018 17:34, Simon Jester wrote:

In English, a billion is a million millions, so "£10 billion" is really
£10,000,000,000,000.

And is the "£30 billion" you claim motorists pay in excess tax really £30,000,000,000,000?

What are you talking about.

The oft stated claim that motorists are overtaxed to the tune of £30 billion.

No need to answer; I am well aware that the question is too difficult
for you.

And we are back to the playground insults.

Over the last thirty or so years though, the media and government have
moved to the American billion (£1,000,000,000), which of course, is
lower than a real billion by the little matter of a factor of 1,000.

And many people think K=1000 rather than 1024

You never studied Greek at school, did you?

No, and I never studied 'Thieving Scally' either.
I did, however, study Computer Studies.
When I say Computer Studies I mean learning about such computers as existed in the early 80's, not studying how to steal computers as it was taught in Liverpool.

Old November 1st 18, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 30/10/2018 16:21, JNugent wrote:
On 30/10/2018 08:55, TMS320 wrote:
On 29/10/18 11:27, JNugent wrote:
On 29/10/2018 01:20, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/10/18 18:27, JNugent wrote:
On 28/10/2018 17:11, TMS320 wrote:
On 27/10/18 23:36, JNugent wrote:

What, ten thousand million pounds a year?

UK GDP is about £2x10^15 of which the government spends 40%. 10^10
is the equivalent of someone earning £80K and not knowing whether
a £1 of it was spent on hummus or petrol.

How interesting.

Do you insist that £10,000,000,000 per annum is spent on motorway
maintenance?

Yes, or no?

Why do insist on asking me a question on something I haven't mentioned?

I asked (originally SJ) about this "£1,000,000,000 a year spent on
motorway maintenance" claim and you then joined in (so far having
added at least three posts on the topic).

Posts to tell you that your telepathy act is a total failure don't count.

For some reason your figure has dropped from £10^10 to £10^9. That's
equivalent to 10p. Do you often fuss over such small amounts?

Oh yes, I missed out a zero in that one line. Terrible. What an error.
It hardly detracts from the point, which had already been stated.

You don't like it when others play your game of not sticking to the point.

Either your strangulated equation involving GDP was support for his
exceptionally fanciful claim (I'm putting that charitably) or it was
designed to undermine him. It looks like support. Was it meant to
disprove his claim?

If you think my maths is wrong then point it out, if you wish.
Otherwise, stop making assumptions that it means something that it
does not.

What has GDP got to do with whether "ten billion pounds"
(£10,000,000,000) per annum is spent on the maintenance of the motorways
of England and Wales (or perhaps the UK)?

Since you struggle with numbers, you've provided an almost perfect
demonstration.

Eother the expenditure is "ten billion ponds" per year or it isn't.

And here's a hint: it isn't.

I never said it is or it isn't. I forked the discussion.

Talk to JS about what he says and talk to me about what I say.

If it was meant as counter-evidence, and if you confirm that, I will
happily accept that you were not in agreement with him.

To remind you, my reply reply to JS was "You're probably right that a
lot of money spent on roads is probably hidden under other things."

Had he said that? Or even implied it?

Do you know what the word "probably" means?

Do you know what the phrase "completely irrelevant" means?

You reply to lots of my posts so I don't know what you think it means.

cycle lanes Tony Dragon UK 0 October 3rd 10 09:27 AM
Cycle lanes lardyninja UK 22 September 19th 09 10:28 AM
Another reason to avoid cycle lanes wafflycat UK 7 October 4th 05 06:39 PM
Now we know what cycle lanes are for David Hansen UK 10 June 22nd 05 02:29 PM
Cycle Lanes AndyP UK 33 December 8th 03 01:43 PM