Who's been riding (continually) the longest?

Old December 21st 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

Default Who's been riding (continually) the longest?

I am about to hit my 30th anniversary of riding. Other than a year when
I (stupidly) went to Australia sans uni, I have ridden almost everyday
since I got my first Schwinn with the last of my bar mitzvah gelt. But I
can think of at least three who've been riding even longer:
Dave White, since 1966 (no fair! I wasn't even born when he started
riding!)
John Foss (late 1970s, right?)
Ken Springle, from a fellow NYUC'er, has been riding for going on 40
years

I'd love to see the list. For some of us, it might make up for the fact
that we'll never hit level 10 or master the new skills like crank flips!

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
Old December 21st 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

I have ridden since 1963. I haven't ridden nearly every day but I have
ridden more than once a year for the entire 45 years.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old December 21st 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
David_Stone

Wow, that's great, Greg!

And I wouldn't be surprised to see George Peck on the list. Has he been
riding for eons?

So far:
40+ years:
Greg Harper, 1963
Dave White, 1966

30+ years:
Ken Springle
John Foss
David Stone, 1979

Old December 21st 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jeremy R

I heard a rumor that KH was riding in utero.

--
Jeremy R

'661' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
'MountainUni' (http://www.mountainuni.com/splash.asp)
spam ban kaboom - Gilby
Old December 21st 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

I got my first used Schwinn 24" for Xmas '76. Actually, the uni arrived
late. According to the card, Santa was too heavy, the seat post broke
and its arrival was delayed until early January '77. I was minimally
competent by March '77. By the summer of '79 I was delivering
newspapers on it. So I'm just shy of 32 years of being training
wheel-free.

It was a funky uni. White wall tire, cotter keys. I wore a hole in
the tire, and couldn't find a replacement with a white wall. I was
bummed. With that first replacement tire I learned that there is a
difference between a tire that is 24 X 1 3/4 and a tire that is 24 X
1.75. Who woulda thunk? The 24 X 1.75 was too small to fit on the
rim.

My biggest lapses in riding were when I spent a summer in the
Netherlands in '83 and when I crushed my thigh in a drunken college
prank the fall of '85.

Geoff Houghton

--
naturequack

monocycle monstrosity
Old December 21st 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

I have been riding since January 2001!

That's almost half my life.

I know I can't really compete with all y'all geezers.

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

Inventor of the Slapflip.

BillyTheMountain for President 2012
Old December 21st 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

peleschramm;1154189 wrote:

I know I can't really compete with all y'all geezers.

I, for one, am impressed with the correct use of the plural "all y'all"
in this sentence. Kudos. Too many incorrectly use the singular "y'all"
in cases like this.

Old December 21st 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

David_Stone;1154019 wrote:
And I wouldn't be surprised to see George Peck on the list. Has he been
riding for eons?

George Peck got his first unicycle in 1983 I think. He learned to ride
as a way to cross-train for windsurfing. He first contacted me in 1985
with rough terrain pictures.

I first got interested in unicycles when I saw them in a Thanksgiving
parade in 1967 or 68, but I didn't get to try one until 1976, when I
almost/sort of learned to ride. But then my POS unicycle fell apart, and
I had a gap of no-riding until 1979, so for "continuous" riding I'd have
to count from there, which puts me at 29 years, 30 next Halloween.

Harper brought up the question of how to qualify "continuous" riding.
Is once a year enough? That certainly separates the sometimes-riders
from the ones who started at age twelve and then stopped until age 30
for example. I have gone up to maybe a month without riding.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper

Leader on longest leg Callistus Valerius Racing 0 March 9th 06 01:20 PM
Longest Ride Chris Armstrong UK 6 August 30th 05 01:18 PM
I think I met the guy with the longest commute Gooserider General 45 June 21st 05 04:37 AM
Longest Uni ride ever (for me) KcTheAcy Unicycling 11 January 4th 04 07:55 AM
Longest Ride Yet!!! Frank A. Unicycling 2 September 9th 03 01:35 PM