Duct tape for holding rim tape or in leu of rim tape?

Old August 3rd 04, 02:14 AM
meb

Default Duct tape for holding rim tape or in leu of rim tape?

On a couple of cantankerous wheels I siliconed the rim tape in place to
avert slipping.

Anyone ever tried duct tape to hold the rim tape in place?
If so did that work well/poorly?

Anyone ever use duct tape in leu of rim tape?
Good or bad?

--
meb

Old August 3rd 04, 05:08 AM
Tom Paterson

From: meb

Anyone ever use duct tape in leu of rim tape?
Good or bad?

A friend of mine tried that a long time ago. As he related, it worked but
really nasty to remove later. --TP
Old August 3rd 04, 05:19 AM
Frank Krygowski

meb wrote:

On a couple of cantankerous wheels I siliconed the rim tape in place to
avert slipping.

Anyone ever tried duct tape to hold the rim tape in place?
If so did that work well/poorly?

Anyone ever use duct tape in leu of rim tape?
Good or bad?

On a long tour, one of our riders had a problem with her brand new
bike's rim tape failing at the spoke holes. The edges of the holes were
coming uncovered and cutting the tubes on the inside.

I first used duct tape to cover the offending edges. When it became
clear that more edges would become uncovered, I replaced the rim tape
with drug-store medical adhesive tape. Worked perfectly for many
thousand miles, and is still working.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old August 3rd 04, 06:59 AM
papercut

meb wrote in message ...
On a couple of cantankerous wheels I siliconed the rim tape in place to
avert slipping.

Anyone ever tried duct tape to hold the rim tape in place?
If so did that work well/poorly?

Anyone ever use duct tape in leu of rim tape?
Good or bad?

I have one wheel that's had electrical tape as rim tape for over
twenty years. Don't know how kosher this is. But I've never had a
problem.

I've heard of folks using duct tape. But electrical tape was closer to
the proper width.
Old August 3rd 04, 07:23 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:14:25 +1000, meb
wrote:

On a couple of cantankerous wheels I siliconed the rim tape in place to
avert slipping.

You weren't using Velox or Pedro's then, correct?

Anyone ever tried duct tape to hold the rim tape in place?

With Velox, I have no need to.

Anyone ever use duct tape in leu of rim tape?
Good or bad?

I wouldn't do it. Most of the brands of duct tape that I'm familiar
with leave a nasty sticky mess behind when the tape shrinks (which it
does), and that goo might attack the tube and/or make it a pain to
remove and install. Plus, duct tape is designed to withstand a
pressure differential of less than 1 bar. Some brands would doubtless
rupture if used as rim tape. Some probably wouldn't. I have types
that I might consider using as rim tape in an emergency, but I also
have several rolls that are definitely unfit for this purpose.

Using makeshifts is a tactic that should be driven by urgent
necessity, not mere availability.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.