Duro Wildlife Leapord tire pressure

Old January 7th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
goodmanje

Default Duro Wildlife Leapord tire pressure

What pressure do you guys run in your Duro 24x3 tires?

--
goodmanje
Old January 7th 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

15-30. This depends on many factors, the main ones being how heavy you
are, how and what you ride.

I'd start w/ 25, ride your typical terrain and if you don't hit the
rim, get pinch flats or the tire folds over, then lower it by 2 psi,
continue this until it does happen, then raise it by 2.

I regularly check mine before a ride and like my tire (a 2.6) at
13.5psi but I'm only 150 lbs and I don't jump off anything.

Requires more pressu
big drops, large side hops, sharp rocks, static landings, bad
roll-outs.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old January 7th 09, 06:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

I have no idea... I go by feel. Don't worry about a specific pressure...
just go with what works for you.

Ummm... skilewis, your pressure suggestion might not be terribly
helpful if you don't have the same tire. I used to ride a Gazz, which
has a max pressure of about 30 psi, then I switched to a kujo DH and 30
psi was it's min. pressure. Both of these are 24X3 inch tires.

--
madmattunipro

Unicycle For Christ

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
Old January 7th 09, 10:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

I reckon a good starting pressure is about 1psi per 10lbs of rider
weight. Then adjust it up or down depending on how and where you ride.
I weigh 12st (=168lbs) and ran my Duro (a 26", but otherwise the same as
a 24) at about 18psi on my old DX32 rim, a little bit softer on my new
slightly wider Nimbus rim. My riding is mostly cross-country, but with
some very rocky sections - no big drops though.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old January 7th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
goodmanje

I've noticed when I run a low pressure on my 29 with a WTB Stout the
tire sort of folds up and causes me to wipe out during tight turns.
Thats the problem I'm trying to avoid.

I'm somewhat new to Muni so I'm not sure if there is a term for what
I'm experiencing....

On another note, is there a secret to getting these big knobby tires to
turn sharply? They seem difficult to manuver at times. Maybe it's just
the nature of the beast....

Thanks for all the help!!!

--
goodmanje
Old January 7th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Harley

MuniAddict;1165971 wrote:
There have been numerous threads about psi. In short, don't go by actual
psi numbers. It also depends on what type of riding you are doing. I
assume MUni given the tire size.

I run mine so I have enough compression to roll over stuff, hop and
jump, but not so little that I'll bottom out on the rim after a drop, or
even come close to that. And not so much that it's like riding on a
brick. I know at least one person who runs his tire at about 10% of
his body weight, and it works well for him.

Btw, Long ago I switched to the -'Ultimate MUni tire'
(http://uniproshop.com/)- and never looked back at Duro, gazz or
anything else. By far the best tire for performance and handling,
longest tread life, -and- lowest price. I think they're almost all sold
though. Once they're gone, that's it.

Goodmanje. I run my Duro at 10% body weight. I don't however do huge
drops so make sure that you have at least enough pressure to keep from
bottoming out.

Terry. When these tires are gone will we be able to buy them from the
stock pile you no doubt have at a hugely inflated mark up of course?

--
Harley

Always remember: With patience and perseverance you can **** a hole
through a rock.
Old January 7th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Harley

goodmanje;1166193 wrote:
I've noticed when I run a low pressure on my 29 with a WTB Stout the
tire sort of folds up and causes me to wipe out during tight turns.
Thats the problem I'm trying to avoid.

I'm somewhat new to Muni so I'm not sure if there is a term for what
I'm experiencing....

On another note, is there a secret to getting these big knobby tires to
turn sharply? They seem difficult to manuver at times. Maybe it's just
the nature of the beast....

Thanks for all the help!!!

I don't have any trouble getting the Duro to respond to tight turns. I
have had this problem with a Kenda Kinetics tire though.

Old January 7th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

Big downhill tyres like the Duro have much stiffer sidewalls than an xc
29er tyre, so you can run them at lower pressures. In fact, if you run
them as hard as an xc tyre they feel far too stiff. If you do a lot of
side hops you might have to run a bit more pressure to stop folding (or
use a ridiculously wide rim like the Large Marge) - not a problem for
me, I'm a roller not a hopper.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old January 7th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
goodmanje

Thanks guys!

Sounds like I need to run a higher pressure (45 - 50) in my WTB Stout
to keep it from folding. I'm going to try running my Duro at 19 (I weigh
190lbs) and see how that works out. I don't do a lot of drops and
hopping but thats something I'm actively working on so I may need to
adjust as I get better at it.

--
goodmanje

*JAMIE*

*CURRENT RIDES:*
*Nimbus 29:* KH Freeride seat and WTB Stout tire. Upgraded frame to
Nimbus II style.

*Nimbus 24 Muni:* Orange with KH 150mm cranks
Old January 7th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Harley;1166198 wrote:
Goodmanje. I run my Duro at 10% body weight. I don't however do huge
drops so make sure that you have at least enough pressure to keep from
bottoming out.

Terry. When these tires are gone will we be able to buy them from the
stock pile you no doubt have at a hugely inflated mark up of course?

I have an -Intense- 23x3 on each of my KH MUnis, plus an extra two I
keep sealed in a box. I won't be needing to replace my current tire for
a long, long time. I've been riding the heck out of it almost daily for
almost a year and it still looks and performs like new!

--
MuniAddict

::'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com)

'' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/member.php?u=12920)::