Exciting Wednesday night

Old October 21st 04, 03:50 AM
TimC

Default Exciting Wednesday night

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 at 01:57 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
"SteveA"
I always think I would like to do a little selective panel damage to
these fool's cars if I ever cannot avoid the collision, but I'm not
sure I would have the presence of mind to do it at the time. Should I
practice damaging parked cars as I ride past them on the street so that
it will be almost instinctive when the collision happens?

Practice makes perfect!

Just remember cagers are very protective of their
cars and will want to hurt you should you ding it.
All I'm saying is... have a good escape route..

I thumped on some moron's window a few weeks ago, some weeks after
being knocked off my bike and assaulted by 4 thugs in a stolen vehicle
(so I was still a little sensetive to morons in cages). I thumped on
his window, because he got ****ed off at me slowing down as I was
approaching a red light, and so decided to accelarate into my lane.

And because I thumped his window, he screamed off, pulled over, got
out of his car and started pushing me around. "If you have damaged my
car, your paying for it." Heh. I guess his windows are deformable?

It was only about 50m from a parked police RBT unit with flashing
lights. I guess some people are just too damn stupid?

Your fault (core dumped)
Old October 21st 04, 03:53 AM
Brad Hubbard

Tamyka Bell wrote:

I like the little bit of dirt on the road side of the path for running
on, it's just uneven enough to make you stronger and be more gentle. I
didn't like running on the slanted path, it gave me ITB friction
syndrome. These days heaps of people run on the dirt, I'm scared the
council will try to pave it!

I like the path that goes through the uni. but it's not long enough. I
sometimes end up going right aruond past St. L. golf course. I know what
you mean about the path, I ran from Glen Rd. to the corner of Queen (I
think) and Eagle in the city and back, it was a good run but I pulled up a
bit sore the next day.

Why don't you take your bike down? You should, it's a challenge on the
path especially in peak hour. The best bit is near QUT where, if you're
heading back towards Toowong, you can ride RIGHT NEXT TO the river, with
no railing, on quite a narrow stretch...

Mountain biking huh? My mountain bike is an antique (for that matter so is
my road bike, but in better nick) and is rarely exposed in public still, I
guess I could drag it down one day. I had visions of going for a blat into
the city on the road bike early in the AM one day. Or the other way but not
sure where to go once I get to the GC.

Cheers,
Brad

Old October 21st 04, 03:54 AM
DRS

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message

Didn't I have an exciting ride home.

Didn't you just. I went for my first ride on Beach Rd on Tuesday to try out
the new clipless gear (ouchie! mega-calf cramps!). On the way back up to
St Kilda I saw a station wagon on the other side of the road that had
clearly had a stack and a bike and a guy in lycra, so oh-oh, I think, car
hit bike. I turn around and go back so I can see properly. Nope, bike is
OK, the cyclist stopped because he's got a mobile and he's presumably
ringing a tow truck and/or an ambulance for the clearly distressed lady
sitting on the nature strip. Now, that begs the question: how the hell did
a car end up in that position? It was fair dinkum 90 degrees to the road,
it had somehow hit the tree dead-on, so there was bits of Subaru front end
everywhere, and then it had bounced back far enough to block both southbound
lanes. I'm damned if I can work it out. But the bike was OK.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 21st 04, 03:56 AM
DaveB

TimC wrote:

It's an instinct you either have or don't.

DaveB "who had it last night"

Story?

Naah you never know who might be reading and I don't use an anonymous
postign method like cyclingforum. But I suspect the end result was a
dent in the roof. Unusually though it was on behlf of both drivers and
cyclists, I just happened to be the most able to demonstrate the level
of unhapiness with what had happened.

DaveB "yeah yeah I'm a bad ambassador for all cyclists"

Old October 21st 04, 04:15 AM
hippy

"TimC"
Grrr. Anyone find that ditch over the width of the city-bound lane on
Burwood road near Swinburne annoying?

and how!

I've got blood blisters out of it, but never fallen off... yet.

Hmm I think there is a clear path through.. I haven't hit
anything hard for a while now...? struggles to remember
the road he uses every frickin' day..

Of course the council ignored me the one time I called. Might be time
to give them another call.

I actually emailed them about the last lot of holes I was
hitting around the same spot. They fixed it up after a month
or so. I was quite happy :-)

hippy

Old October 21st 04, 04:40 AM
hippy

"DRS"
Now, that begs the question: how the hell did a car end up in that

position?

Beach Rd., drugs, lack of sleep, speed... crash.

hippy

Old October 21st 04, 04:52 AM
ritcho

DRS Wrote:
"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message

Didn't I have an exciting ride home.

Didn't you just. I went for my first ride on Beach Rd on Tuesday t
try out
the new clipless gear (ouchie! mega-calf cramps!).

[snip]

--

A: Top-posters.

Sore calves? Either cleat position or seat height - first guess is tha
the cleat position is a little far forward... Some clipless shoes rid
higher (see LOOK for a good example) than 'flats', shortening th
effective seat height. The cyclingnews Fitness Q&A section has som
good articles about fit.

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old October 21st 04, 04:56 AM
ritcho

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
Didn't I have an exciting ride home.

[snip crash story]

New slogan: If you ride alone, take your phone!

Sydney's drought* has turned my smooth running bike into a coffe
grinder. My highlight of last night's ride home was looking at th
BoM's radar and seeing a huge line of rain coming in. I dashed out fro
work and made it home about 20 minutes before it hit. Thank goodness fo
the BoM!

Ritch

*p_ssing rain all week

--
ritcho

Old October 21st 04, 05:04 AM
flyingdutch

ritcho Wrote:
Sore calves? Either cleat position or seat height -

Ritch

sounds more like a common thing you can get when first taking u
clipless pedalling IMHO.
All of a sudden you also pull up, thus using calves that have happil
gone along for the ride previously. Is this your first foray int
clipless DRS?
PS adjust seatheight to allow for new distance between shoe an
pedal(axle

--
flyingdutch

Old October 21st 04, 05:23 AM
TimC

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 at 03:15 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
"TimC"
I've got blood blisters out of it, but never fallen off... yet.

Hmm I think there is a clear path through.. I haven't hit
anything hard for a while now...? struggles to remember
the road he uses every frickin' day..

Theres sometimes a path to the left, right next to the gutter, but
usually there is a car parked over it, or two cars 10m from each other
either side of it, so you would have to swerve in then out again to
miss the ditch. Naturally, I don't like swerving to miss a ditch.

[On being overcaffeinated...] Yes, this is possible - symptons include
the sun being too loud and grokking in full what Adams meant by
"unpleasantly like being drunk". -- Steed @ ASR