Good online parts source?

Old June 6th 10, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Default Good online parts source?

Posted earlier about this maddening "click" I'm getting from the
crankset on my Trek 7100. Rode today, it's definitely the crank/bottom
bracket, I can feel it in my right foot. So tonight, I pulled the BB
again, used emery cloth to polish the bearing shaft ends & their mating
surface in the cranks & put it all back together with a bit of oil on
the shaft ends to be sure they seat as fully as possible in the cranks.
Put Teflon tape on the BB cap threads. If it still does this on my
next ride (SOOOOO embarrassing ;-) I'm going to replace the bearing
cartridge. Hence my question; what is a good online parts source? I
live in Seattle, so no doubt there're any number of local sources, but I
thought I'd check online for price, since $$$ is a bit tight right now ;-/

TIA

Dan
Old June 6th 10, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jun 6, 3:40*pm, Dan wrote:
Posted earlier about this maddening "click" I'm getting from the
crankset on my Trek 7100. *Rode today, it's definitely the crank/bottom
bracket, I can feel it in my right foot. *So tonight, I pulled the BB
again, used emery cloth to polish the bearing shaft ends & their mating
surface in the cranks & put it all back together with a bit of oil on
the shaft ends to be sure they seat as fully as possible in the cranks.
* Put Teflon tape on the BB cap threads. *If it still does this on my
next ride (SOOOOO embarrassing ;-) *I'm going to replace the bearing
cartridge. *Hence my question; what is a good online parts source? *I
live in Seattle, so no doubt there're any number of local sources, but I
thought I'd check online for price, since $$$ is a bit tight right now ;-/

This is a cartridge BB yeah? What about where the bearings seat into
the cups? The Shimano BB cups have a bit of blue chewing gum in them
to help seat the bearing in the cup. Pretty crappy solution IMHO.

I've got campy chorus BB with outboard bearings. It's done about 4
years (40,000kms) and still going fine. I give them a grease about
once a year.

JS.
Old June 6th 10, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

On 6/5/2010 11:10 PM, James wrote:

This is a cartridge BB yeah? What about where the bearings seat into
the cups? The Shimano BB cups have a bit of blue chewing gum in them
to help seat the bearing in the cup. Pretty crappy solution IMHO.

I've got campy chorus BB with outboard bearings. It's done about 4
years (40,000kms) and still going fine. I give them a grease about
once a year.

JS.

It is a cartridge setup. I wish it were not. In this one (Suntour, at
least the cranks set is, bearing is "Middus") the fit of the bearings
into the cups is quite tight. However, the spaced in between the sealed
bearings seems like it may be the source of the trouble, a bit loose, at
least when you have the cartridge in your hand. Don't know if this is
an issue, since it's the only one I've worked on.

Dan
Old June 6th 10, 07:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

On 6/5/2010 11:25 PM, Dan wrote:
However, the spaced in between the sealed

Supposed to be "SPACER", not SPACED.

I was SPACED when I wrote it, I guess ;-)

Dan
Old June 6th 10, 07:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Dan wrote:

Hence my question; what is a good online parts source? *

All of the following have been cost-effective, prompt, and
conscientious in dealing with me over the years. I'd go with
whichever has the thing you want at the best price including
shipping:

Airbomb.com
Aebike.com
Jensonusa.com
Bikepartsusa.com
Ebikestop.com
Universalcycles.com
Benscycle.net
Niagaracycle.com

I think that none of them are in WA state, so you can save on sales
tax too.

Chalo

Old June 6th 10, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

On Jun 5, 11:30*pm, Chalo wrote:
Dan wrote:

Hence my question; what is a good online parts source? *

All of the following have been cost-effective, prompt, and
conscientious in dealing with me over the years. *I'd go with
whichever has the thing you want at the best price including
shipping:

Airbomb.com
Aebike.com
Jensonusa.com
Bikepartsusa.com
Ebikestop.com
Universalcycles.com
Benscycle.net
Niagaracycle.com

I think that none of them are in WA state, so you can save on sales
tax too.

Chalo

Jensonusa would be the last on my list. They repeatedly sell take-
offs as new, without identifying this to the customer at all. I still
can't believe they sent me a Shimano rear hub, with spoke indentations
in the flange, and a really crappy low end skewer (since most likely
the original was missing), and tried to represent that as new.

While this is less likely to happen on parts such as bottom brackets,
there's no good reason to deal with misrepresentation.

Old June 6th 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

try a stethescope: water pipe 2-3' long. hang the bike with rope, turn
the drive train, locate the noise. also interesting: use earplugs,
place forehead on seat post, rotate drive train.

why would a click be a bearing noise ? a clicking, that is a noise at
a hearable level above the general thrash, bearing would disintegrate
under pressure, at least be visible ?

more likely the housing is moving around in the frame BB housing . try
loosening then tightening the housing, 'if possible'

Nashbar or Ucycle prob has a BB for $15
Old June 6th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan Hensley

Maybe finding a local bicycle shop with a experienced mechanic, along
with the tools and parts to find the solution would be in order.

I promise, if you find the right one, they will appreciate it as much
as you appreciate their help.
Old June 6th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jun 6, 6:57*am, Dan Hensley wrote:
Maybe finding a local bicycle shop with a experienced mechanic, along
with the tools and parts to find the solution would be in order.

I promise, if you find the right one, they will appreciate it as much
as you appreciate their help.

gnaw the LBS is intellectual brain surrender. locating and solving the
"clicking noise" is at the center of all mechanical/bicycle problem
solving...the mechanism isnot that complex. if you can't find it and
cure it then you should go back up your tree