Hydration pack for road cycling

Old June 21st 05, 07:48 AM
Kovie

Default Hydration pack for road cycling

I recently purchased a fairly large "cycling" hydration pack, the Deuter
TransAlp 25, which I intend to use mostly for long day hikes, and
occasionally for commuting or lugging books and such to a local cafe or park
on my road bike. It's a really nice pack, but way too big (1500 cubic
inches) for long day rides, and I'd like to get a second, smaller pack for
such use. I'd like to be able to pack some food, a light shell or
microfleece jersey, a paperback to have something to read at the turnaround
point (I'm big on destination riding), a small digital camera, my callet,
cell phone, small first aid kit, etc. It would also do double-duty for short
hikes and long urban walks. I'd like a 100oz reservoir, since I tend to
sweat a lot.

I've been eyeing several Camelbaks, especially the MULE, Blowfish and HAWG.
I like the compact size of the MULE, but am concerned that it might be a tad
too small, and that if I packed its various expandable pockets, it would
become unwieldy and shift around. I like the capacity of the HAWG and its
cinch straps, but am concerned that even with these it might be a bit too
big for long rides. As for the Blowfish, it seems an ideal compromise,
expecially with its expandability, but it struck me as less rugged than the
other two.

Any advice or recommendations?

--
Kovie
zen

Old June 21st 05, 01:06 PM
Pat

I like the ones made by HydraPak.
http://www.hydrapak.com/packs/matrix.shtml

Pat in TX

Old June 21st 05, 03:14 PM

Kovie wrote:
[...]

I think the MULE sounds appropriate for anyone who is willing to carry
that much stuff on his or her back for that length of time on a
bicycle.

I think that if you need to carry that much stuff you should mount it
on your bicycle. I would also look to frame mount that much water, as I
recently suggested in another thread.

Old June 21st 05, 04:35 PM
Bill Sornson

wrote:
Kovie wrote:
[...]

I think you should have quit writing after your first paragraph (and even
/it/ sounded condescending, as if there's something wrong with someone "who
is willing to carry that much stuff on his or her back for that length of
time on a bicycle").

Why on earth would the OP want to "mount" all his or her stuff on the
bicycle, when modern hydration system packs are light, aero, convenient,
roomy, and affordable? (Not to mention that it's the OP's indicated
preference.) Plus you can lock the bike and carry your belongings inside or
whatever, and not have to worry about them being stolen.

I agree, though, get the MULE. (I'm not familiar with the Blowfish, and the
HAWG is huge so probably too similar to what OP already has. Other brands
are fine, too, no doubt.)

Bill "feeling trolled, but WTH..." S.

Old June 21st 05, 05:02 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Pat:
I like the ones made by HydraPak.
http://www.hydrapak.com/packs/matrix.shtml

Back when I was comparing, what I liked about HydraPak was the roll-top
reservour. Easier to clean thoroughly.
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 21st 05, 05:04 PM

Bill Sornson wrote:
Why on earth would the OP want to "mount" all his or her stuff on the
bicycle, when modern hydration system packs are light, aero, convenient,
roomy, and affordable?

100oz water = 6+lbs., plus additional weight of food, reading
material, jersey, digital camera, cell phone, first aid kit, "etc." The
weight of the hydration system is completely beside the point, which is
the weight of the stuff the OP is going to put in it.

(Not to mention that it's the OP's indicated
preference.)

Maybe the OP hasn't considered the alternative. What person in this ng
would recommend carrying all this stuff on their back on a bicycle as
preferable to panniers or some other way of bike-mounting?

Plus you can lock the bike and carry your belongings inside or
whatever, and not have to worry about them being stolen.

There are solutions to this. You could get a rack with a bag that could
be unclipped as easily as taking off a backpack.

I agree, though, get the MULE. (I'm not familiar with the Blowfish, and the
HAWG is huge so probably too similar to what OP already has. Other brands
are fine, too, no doubt.)

Bill "feeling trolled, but WTH..." S.

Trolled arguably, but, regardless, the best advice for a bicyclist does
not involve recommending a backpack for carrying that much gear any
significant distance.

Old June 21st 05, 05:23 PM
Bill Sornson

wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
Why on earth would the OP want to "mount" all his or her stuff on the
bicycle, when modern hydration system packs are light, aero,
convenient, roomy, and affordable?

100oz water = 6+lbs., plus additional weight of food, reading
material, jersey, digital camera, cell phone, first aid kit, "etc."
The weight of the hydration system is completely beside the point,
which is the weight of the stuff the OP is going to put in it.

Hopefully others have read the entire OP /and/ all that I (and others)
replied.

[...]

Says you.

Hopefully others have read the entire OP /and/ all that I (and others)
replied, Bill S.

Old June 21st 05, 08:40 PM
sunderland

What about road cyclists with 16 pound carbon fibre race bikes? No
eyelets for racks (thank goodness), no way of clamping anything to the
bike. Sure, if you go touring on a regular basis you'll have racks and
panniers and all sorts of other crap bolted to your bike - but for an
occasional ride, why NOT carry the stuff on your back? On your back
it's sprung weight, on the bike it's unsprung weight, so there's a
handling advantage over racks or panniers.

I like the Camelback Rogue myself (although it's slightly smaller than
the OP is looking for). After a few minutes you don't notice it's there
any more. You can carry food and get to it while riding (in the mesh
pouch), so you can both eat and drink without stopping. Works both
on-road and off. Carries the equivilent of 4+ water bottles. Carries a
pump and tools. What's not to like?

Old June 21st 05, 08:49 PM

Road cyclists DO NOT use hydration packs/backpacks!!!!! You will look
like a DUI rider. There are bottle cages to fit every bike.

Old June 21st 05, 09:02 PM

sunderland wrote:
What about road cyclists with 16 pound carbon fibre race bikes? No
eyelets for racks (thank goodness), no way of clamping anything to the
bike.

Are there really people with this kind of bike who would go for
frequent long rides with all this stuff on their backs? Probably, but
not many, I'd guess. It is certainly possible to construct a strawman
that would justify the use of a backpack, but does that make it the
best solution to offer when someone asks about how to carry stuff on a
bike?

I like the Camelback Rogue myself (although it's slightly smaller than
the OP is looking for). After a few minutes you don't notice it's there
any more.

If you say so; not my experience with a pack with any significant
amount of stuff in it. Personally, I think that anything that adds to
overall fatigue should be avoided where possible.

OLN-TV cycling coverage gets even thinner! Steven L. Sheffield Racing 16 February 15th 05 03:18 AM
The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes bikerider7 UK 141 May 31st 04 04:05 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Cycling in Paris Part 2 wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX UK 0 September 4th 03 09:57 PM