ergopower conversion

Old July 18th 03, 01:31 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default ergopower conversion

jason- I have a 96 pair of Athena erhgo levers (8sp) that I want to
try to make 9. My local japanese dealer has made it known that it is next to
impossble to get a new 9sp ratchet or if one exists that it woudl take over
a year to get. I think its bunk. BRBR

It is in the US, have these and easy to get-$35

Shouldn't any 9sp ratchet work? I cannot imaging that Campy has made their
small parts that incompatible. BRBR

Need the 9s ratchet from 1997...EC-RE-113, it did indeed change in 1998 and
1999...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 18th 03, 06:53 PM
Drew Eckhardt

In article ,
Jason Wright wrote:
seeking advice. I have a 96 pair of Athena erhgo levers (8sp) that I want to
try to make 9. My local japanese dealer has made it known that it is next to
impossble to get a new 9sp ratchet or if one exists that it woudl take over
a year to get. I think its bunk.

branfordbike.com stocks them. Be sure to install new G-springs and a
thumb lever return spring while you're in there.

Shouldn't any 9sp ratchet work?

No, you need a specific part.
--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting
Old July 18th 03, 06:55 PM
Drew Eckhardt

In article ,
Paul Southworth wrote:
BTW, Campy says you need to replace your rear derailleur as well, but
most people find this is quite unnecessary.

The only difference between old 9-speed and 8-speed derailleurs
are the jockey wheels and pulley bolts. If you're paranoid (I was),
you can duplicate the 9-speed by replacing those parts only.
Old July 19th 03, 02:58 AM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
Drew Eckhardt wrote:
In article ,
Paul Southworth wrote:
BTW, Campy says you need to replace your rear derailleur as well, but
most people find this is quite unnecessary.

The only difference between old 9-speed and 8-speed derailleurs
are the jockey wheels and pulley bolts. If you're paranoid (I was),
you can duplicate the 9-speed by replacing those parts only.

If you put back your 8s pulleys you will find it shifts about
the same. :-)

Old July 19th 03, 04:20 AM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:08:10 +0000, Paul Southworth wrote:

No, the modern 9-speed index gear is not the same. That's why your 96
Athena lever can't ever be 10-speed. But the proper index gear for your
shifter is still available.

I believe there are 10-speed shift disks for this lever. Mine is even
older and I had the option of going to 9 or 10.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 19th 03, 10:45 PM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
David L. Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:08:10 +0000, Paul Southworth wrote:

No, the modern 9-speed index gear is not the same. That's why your 96
Athena lever can't ever be 10-speed. But the proper index gear for your
shifter is still available.

I believe there are 10-speed shift disks for this lever. Mine is even
older and I had the option of going to 9 or 10.

I hope you're right, let me know when you find the part, I'll buy one.

As far as I know, 1999+ models can be configured 8/9/10 but earlier
ones only 8/9, different type of index gear.

--Paul
Old July 20th 03, 03:47 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:00:53 +0000, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

david- I believe there are 10-speed shift disks for this lever. Mine is
even older and I had the option of going to 9 or 10. BRBR

cannot really convert a 1998 and older lever to 10s, it is possible, but
ya gotta change all of the innards, front and back, and a new lever would
be cheaper. 1999 and later levers can be converted to 8/9/10s...back and
forth...

Oh. I*guess I misunderstood. Sorry 'bout that.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or
_`\(,_ | that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
(_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public. --Theodore Roosevelt